LC
Posted By
Lee_Cashman
May 2, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. Recently I down-loaded the 30-day demo package of Photoshop Elements 3.0 from the Adobe web site. The 172MB "Adobe Photoshop Elements.pkg.sit" file seemed to download OK to my 1GB iMac G4 running OS 10.2.8, however when I doubled-clicked on the "Adobe Photoshop Elements.pkg" icon that was automatically created via Stuffit Expander 8.0.2 as part of the download process, I received the error "The Installer package ‘Adobe Photoshop Elements’ cannot be opened. The preflight script was either not executable or not readable." Suggestions anyone?

Lee

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
May 2, 2005
This has come up before. Here’s a link to a previous discussion.

Beth Haney, "Cannot Install Photoshop Elements 3 Trial for Mac OS 10" #1, 24 Jan 2005 6:38 pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

Or, do a forum search for "preflight script Mac" and you’ll see this has come up a number of times, so you might want to read more than one thread before you start trouble shooting.

One suggestion to try before anything else is a fresh download. Because that demo is such a big file, it’s very easy to get a corruption.
JJ
Jim_J
May 2, 2005
You might simply try redownloading. The package may have become corrupt in the download.

Cheers
LC
Lee_Cashman
May 2, 2005
Thanks, Beth. I’m hesiant about using Cocktail, but I did use Apple’s Disk Utility "Repair Disk Permissions" function. This cleaned up a few things and out of curiosity I ran it again and surprisingly, it cleaned up some more, but fewer. I trashed the "Adobe Photoshop Elements.pkg.sit" and "Adobe Photoshop Elements.pkg" files and requested another download, which appeared to transfer OK. BTW, this is now the 5th time I’ve downloaded PSE3 from Adobe, all apparently w/o error. Anyway, when I doubled on "Adobe Photoshop Elements.pkg" the same error msg noted above was displayed. In following one of your links, I saw someone’s comment saying that there are many experiencing this difficulty and that Adobe needs to fix things. I called Adobe customer service earlier and they referred me to tech support, which I plan to call tomorrow. I’ll let them know that it looks like this a common problem and will add another post later.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 2, 2005
You’re not the only one who tries to steer clear of Cocktail, which is why I put in that warning. 🙂 And then there are the people who think it’s great. Go figure. Yes, if you get more information on this, please post it. It would be nice to have something else documented.
LC
Lee_Cashman
May 3, 2005
Hello, Well, I called Adobe tech support today and had a case opened for this problem. I told the person to check the Adobe user-to-user forum and he’d see that other Mac users had experienced the same diffculty. He worked with me for a while and consulted with others a couple times and then suggested that I create a new user account having admin privileges and from there request a download of the demo PSE3 version from the Adobe web site and it should work. I didn’t want to create another account, so instead used another admin account that already existed on my iMac to request a download of the demo PSE3. It appeared to be transmitted OK and be expanded OK (via Stuffit Expander), but the results were the same. NG. Same error message as noted above. Frustrating. So tomorrow I’ll try to call tech support again and see if they have another suggestion.

Lee
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 3, 2005
One other thing, Lee–are you using the latest version of Stuffit Expander? If not, you can get the newest one here:

< http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/ stuffitexpander.html>

EDIT No, I see you were not. Try the new version and see if it helps any.
LC
Lee_Cashman
May 6, 2005
* **BINGO*** Earlier I spoke with an Adobe tech again re my case # and he suggested that even though I was running the most current version of Stuffit Expander for OS 10.2 (8.0.2), that I reinstall it and try the PSE3 download/install again. So I checked again to see what ver of Stuffit Exander I already had (it was 8.0.2) and regardless went to the Allume Systems, Inc. link that Adobe PSE3 tryout pointed me to and confirmed that 8.0.2 was indeed the most current ver for OS 10.2.8. Regardless, I reinstalled Stuffit Expander 8.0.2, shutdown Virex (.Mac app), trashed the 2 previous PSE3 files from a previous PSE3 download and downloaded PSE3 again. Things ran and looked just as they had for the previous downloads (probably about 6 or so) so when I doubled on the install icon on the desktop I fully expected to see the same err msg as noted earlier. But amazingly, what appeared was the beginning of the PSE3 install screens, which I went through w/o any problems. And I’m pleased to report that the 30 day trial copy of PSE3 was successfully installed and executed. Not sure what the root cause of the problem was, but I’m happy. Many thanks to those who offered suggestions, etc. BTW, my environment is a 1GB, 800MHz G4 iMac running 10.2.8 and all s/w is current as far as I know. Lee

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections