NO
Posted By
Nicholas_Opels
May 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Trying to install Elements 2 on a G4 running Tiger. All seems to be going well, until the installer is almost complete and gets to 0 files left. It then launches another small installer which appears in the dock, En_US or something like that I assume for the version.

Both do not respond, and after 10 minutes needed to be force quit. It does put the Application and folder in the right spot. I can launch Elements, but then right before the application opens, it diplays messages that the swatches can’t be loaded, brushes, can’t be loaded, etc. I have tried reinatalling it, installing into a different profile, nothing seems to help. I made sure that the drive was formated as OS Extended Jounaled, and even tried re-installing the OS.

Any suggestions?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RR
Raymond Robillard
May 10, 2005
Have you repaired the permission immediately before installing the software? That would be my first choice. Then, if it still won’t work, try to reset the preferences, even if the software is freshly installed. Press and hold the Command – Shift – Option keys immediately after you launched the application.

Ray
NO
Nicholas_Opels
May 10, 2005
Thanks for the advice, but unfrtunately I tried both of those. I am somewhat flustered because it seems others have been able to install this. My last hope is to install it on my Powerbook running Panther, and then drag the folders and pieces to their appropriate places in the Applications, Library etc. I don’t want to do it that way, but I am running out of ideas.
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 11, 2005
Did you install the BSD subsystem ? It’s a Mac OS option. If not, I think PSE needs it to run.

Ray
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 11, 2005
Also, when you unintalled did you also delete the paths and prefs folders from your user/library/preferences folder?
NO
Nicholas_Opels
May 11, 2005
I am pretty sure I uninstalled the paths and well as the prefs but I will double check that. I did not install the BSD subsystem, but I will give that a try.

Thanks for both the suggestions, I’ll follow up with how it goes.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 11, 2005
Nicholas-wait! When you say you did not install the BSD subsystem, do you mean you did a custom install without it? If you just did a regular install you did install it. Please don’t overinstall that. It can cause problems if you do.

If you did a custom install and deliberately omitted it, you do need it for Adobe products and many other applications to run correctly.
NO
Nicholas_Opels
May 11, 2005
Barbara, you are right. I did a standard install and it was installed by default. When I read Ray’s message, I thought perhaps it was an option that needed to be turned on, but it is already there, and I did not reinstall it.

Not really sure where to turn, and I am not sure, for the limited amount of use the application gets that it is worth upgrading to PE 3 as I question that the installer for it would work either.

Thanks for the help.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 11, 2005
Have you tried logging on as Root? There have been a few people even in earlier versions of OS X that could not get PE 2 installed except via the root user. Just remember to log back out when you’re done.
NO
Nicholas_Opels
May 11, 2005
No I haven’t tried that. I’ll give that a shot.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections