Posted By
Al_Kozeliski
Apr 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Mac is a beige G3 with a G4 500 MHz upgrade – 768 MB – OS X 10.3.9

Elements 3 was installed this morning and worked but now after installing some other software, it does the big freeze along with the computer. It has been started several times and always stops when the opening screen gets to "Building color conversion files"

Other software that was installed includes Epson 2200 printer drivers, Canon 20D camera utilities, Epson 4870 scanner software including Silverfast SE, and a print program called Mac Big Picture. That’s about all I can relay. I am not familiar with OS X as I have not had it on this computer but for a couple of days or even for Macintosh in general as I have spent most of my time on the Amiga computer.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. My only guess is that I should start dropping installed software into the trash, although I’m not certain I’d get it out of all the installed places.

Thanks, Al

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 26, 2005
Hi, Al. Start by going to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and highlighting your hard drive and then clicking Repair Permissions. See if that does it.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 26, 2005
Also, how big is your drive and how much free space?
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 26, 2005
If you’re knew to Macs and OS 10.3, you might also like to take a look at this page about the Care and Feeding of Panther. As Barbara indicates, repairing permissions is important, especially after installing all of that new software, but there are a couple of other routine maintenance things that will keep things running smoothly, too.

< http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/care_feeding_panther.ht ml>

I had another link I liked better, but I lost it. 🙁 If I find it again, I’ll come back.

The information about the size of the drive and amount of free space might shed some light on this, too, so that’s also important. Although with all the upgrades that have been done to that Beige, you probably put in a bigger drive, too, right?
AK
Al_Kozeliski
Apr 27, 2005
Hi Barbara,

Just tried your first suggestion, but it still hangs in the same place. As far as the HD size is, it is an 80 GB. The partition the OS is on still has 4.7 GB available and the other partition I set up has 68.22 GB available. The second drive is where I have installed Elements. After I wrote in the forum, I contacted Adobe and ended up paying for one resolution. The tech (Austin) worked with me on the computerfor about an hour and a half. He left me with a reboot and expects to call tomorrow morning to see if the problem is past history. Unfortunately, it remains as is stated.

Thanks for the information, Al
AK
Al_Kozeliski
Apr 27, 2005
Hi Beth,

My next step this evening will be your suggestion on "Care and feeding". As I said earlier, I am an Amiga user where things are more logical as far as placement goes. I am certain I need a lot of "Care and Feeding" help!

Thanks, Al
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2005
Well this doesn’t solve your problem, but:

The partition the OS is on still has 4.7 GB available

This is very, very bad, Al. OS X needs as much space as it can get to run. I don’t say this is causing your PE problem, but it’s going to cause you a heap of other problems with everything else. That kind of partioning scheme works for windows, and is okay for mac OS 9, but it’s begging for trouble for OS X. If you can, I’d erase and start over.
AK
Al_Kozeliski
Apr 27, 2005
This is interesting since my Mac dealer did the partitions and install of OS X. I’m inclined to start over again, but it is one tricky thing to do on this beige in the first place. Perhaps I can erase the large partition then install OS X on it. If it works there, then maybe I can delete the other or use it as a backup.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2005
Hmm. Is the first partition 8 gigs? If so, then yeah, you’re stuck. There was a requirement for that in some of the only marginally X-compliant macs, but I thought the upgrade would have let you ignore that.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2005
You might want to ask about this over at the Apple G3 forum <http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@@.5998b4e9> or at macgurus.com, either of which has a bunch of very knowledgeable folks.
AK
Al_Kozeliski
Apr 27, 2005
First things first. My intent was only to use Elements 3 with my new camera. Earlier I planned on purchasing a dual 2.5, but then found out about maxi heat problems so much so that Apple don’t plan on going beyond 2.5 with the processor. Hopefully the new 3 plus GB processor will finally be the computer in my future.

By the way, why is it that the Amiga OS is kept free by itself without applications to screw it up and Macs like to dump applications with the OS – with each new application a potential conflict?
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 27, 2005
with each new application a potential conflict?

Ah, but they’re not. Apps that are correctly written to the specs are self-contained packages. You might want to check out the books on OS X by Robin Williams (not that Robin Williams) and David Pogue.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections