Opening IPhoto Library files in Photoshop Elements 6.0 (Macintosh)

TT
Posted By
Tony_Tarry
Apr 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Having used PE5 on Windows, recently switched to Mac and even more recently loaded PE6 for the MAC I don’t find the link posted above very helpful. Most PE6 help and fora seem to be related to PE6 for Windows – and there are seem to be quite some differences between the two versions (although only a very small percentage of the common functionality).

In particular, the box that holds the CD has a flash on it proclaiming it as an ideal tool for use with iphoto. So far I haven’t been able to locate a single item of help, either on PC or on-line that gives any clue either to what this means (in terms of functionality) and therefore how to use this functionality.

Of course, I’m a newbie to Adobe fora, therefore it’s entirely possible that I am missing something. Can anyone point me either to the relevant help or a more helpful forum than the one in the link?

Thanks

Tony

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Apr 4, 2008
Tony Ramón gave you the link to the Elements forum. Very few if any here use Elements.

The best Advice I can give is to buy Photoshop and stop using iPhoto. But I have a feeling that’s not what you want to hear or will follow.
R
Ram
Apr 5, 2008
Welcome to the Mac. (Not "MAC")

Here’s the link to the Elements forum again:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.eeb4f8b/>

I’ve never seen or used Elements, and few folks here are familiar with it.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 5, 2008
Brian and Tony,

I’ve been reading a bit about PSE 6 and evidently the path to integrating it and iPhoto lies in using the Bridge, a viewing and organization tool which is bundled with PSE 6. In Bridge you can view iPhoto libraries and then open images up in iPhoto (so I’ve read).
P
Pat1
Apr 5, 2008
With bridge you can open the application iphoto but I still do not know how to import a photo to photoshop.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 5, 2008
I just gave it a try. Within Bridge I navigated to my iPhoto library which was User > Pictures > iPhoto Library > Originals and within that folder there were all my iPhotos organized in years and rolls. In my case all 23 images. Anyway once I see an image in the Bridge browser window double clicking on it opened the image in Photoshop. YMMV. I don’t know more than this as I almost never use Bridge and thought I never used iPhoto.
BS
Brian_Sheppard
Apr 5, 2008
Thank you macman. Your solution works. I had tried dragging iPhoto library images to the Photoshop screen but not to the Photoshop icon in the dock.

From other replies, I see that there is a lot of frustration about the lack of support for Mac users of Photoshop. I’ve used Elements 6 for some time on the PC but am a new Mac user. It’s great so see so much support out there.

Thanks to you all. Brian
BY
Brian_Yeager
Apr 5, 2008
Still can’t open photos I have in iPhoto – I tried suggest Bridges>users>pictures>iphoto>Library AND then iPhotos Opens and that is the End of it. I have iphotos with photos open But still not import (so frustrating, because I spend the big bucks to purchase because Elements was to work with iPhotos & have books – still ….:(
Any Please have ideas? thanks
B
Buko
Apr 6, 2008
I see that there is a lot of frustration about the lack of support for Mac users of Photoshop.

there is plenty of support for Photoshop. You seem to be confusing Photoshop $1000 piece of software with the $100 Elements.

As far as iPhoto I think you would be better off just forgetting it exists
-macman
Apr 6, 2008
Brian,

Still can’t open photos I have in iPhoto

What happened to the way that you opened them before: dragging to the Elements dock?

I tried suggest Bridges>users>pictures>iphoto>Library AND then iPhotos Opens and that is the End of it.

Some friendly advise: Pick an app that best suits your needs and than stick to that particular app, (i.e. Bridge or iPhoto). You can’t reasonably use both for the same purpose and than expect everything to miraculously stay in order. Its like having 3 different maids coming in to do the housekeeping: neither of the 3 maids is ever sure where the other has decided to store the mop or dustpan, and, to make matters worse, the owner is getting increasingly frustrated because none of the 3 maids can settle on a stationary place to park his favorite pair of house-slippers. Turmoil City!

Same with your files: Bridge and iPhoto are constantly at odds with each other because neither actually knows what the other is doing to/with your picture files. One wants to store them in this corner, and the other, for whatever reasons, way over in some other obscure corner. So pick the one that you feel must comfortable with and forget about the other—no matter how tempting the bait.
M
mcx10
Apr 6, 2008
I just received my copy of Photoshop Elements 6. The box says very clearly: WORKS WITH iPHOTO. Well, it doesn’t. The fact is that Bridge SHOULD be able to access the iPhoto library. It doesn’t. I also have Photoshop CS3 and it’s not capable of accessing the iPhoto library either.

Anyway, in iPhoto you can set your photos to open in PE6 in edit mode. When Bridge opens iPhoto, select photos and click "edit" they’ll open in PE6.

You can also make an "alias" of your iPhoto library that can be accessed through Bridge. Go to Pictures–>ctrl click iPhoto Library–>show package contents–>ctrl click Originals–>make alias. It’ll create a folder called "Originals alias". Put that folder anywhere you want and you should be able to access that folder and its contents with Bridge.

Good luck!

PS-
There is no comparison between Bridge and iPhoto. iPhoto is far superior so don’t give up your iPhoto, you would be miserable.
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 6, 2008
Folks,

This forum is for support for the professional application, Photoshop; NOT for the consumer application, Photoshop Elements. Please go to the handy link in the tinted forum description to get expert help for Elements.

Thanks. This topic will be frozen.

Neil

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections