Posted By
Brad_Messer
Sep 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A solution that worked for me.

Click to launch Photoshop and IMMEDIATELY hold down alt+command_shift and Photoshop 7 launched without freezing. I could then go to Photoshop menu > Preferences > Adobe online and set the Check for Updates option to Never.

Nothing on the Adobe support or forum threads worked, by the way, because when I reset System Preferences > Date and Time to the year 2001, and got Photoshop 7 to start (iBook G4 OS 10.4.7, and G4 tower same OS) and hit the Help drop menu to get to "Updates…" to try to reset to NEVER check for updates, clicking on Updates would put me right back into the closed loop where it would try to download the update files (AWEXfiles.txt and AWEDBFiles4.awe) and would freeze. There’s also advice on the net that says delete the two AW… files before launching, but that didn’t work either. The above solution worked on both machines.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Sep 9, 2006
Just because it worked for you does not mean it is a good solution. In fact It is a very bad solution and do not recommend changing the date on the computer ever.

Unplugging the internet connection from the back of the computer will always work and is the correct way.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections