DG
Posted By
Don_Gulley
Dec 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok…I’m new to MAC and I’m creating all of my images in Photoshop as i have always done on my PC. But now when i save anything as a JPG or PNG nobody using a PC can open them.

I’ve checked the file extension, etc. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong.

Please Help

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JD
John_Danek
Dec 18, 2008
You’ll need to save the file with a .tiff preview ( i.e., save as > 8-bit tiff preview ). Your default may be a Mac preview which they cannot see on a PC.
DG
Don_Gulley
Dec 18, 2008
Ok..where is that setting at? I haven’t had to do that before and i don’t see that in the save as area?

Thanks
DG
Don_Gulley
Dec 18, 2008
I’m using CS4 PHotoshop on a MAC
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Dec 18, 2008
John, that sounds like Illustrator.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 18, 2008
It would help to know what program is being used on Windows to attempt to view the images. What error message is presented to the Windows user?

Also, how are you transferring the images? (email, ftp, local network, etc)

Are you using the ‘Save for Web’ function?
DG
Don_Gulley
Dec 18, 2008
Basically,

Images are transferred (email, vpn, and local network)

I have not used the save for the web function because i haven’t needed to do that in the past on my PC. I just tried that and it worked. So i’m guess in order to save jpegs and other docs like this i need to use the save for the web feature for my pc users to view the files?
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 18, 2008
The save for web function does a couple things that might answer the problem…

1) it ensures that you are using the RGB color mode.

2) it ensures that a filename extension is added to the file name.

3) it ignores/removes extra preview and meta data that might be added by the Mac OS otherwise.

These issues might be neglected if you are simply saving from the File menu. You can still save from the File menu if you re-examine and correct these issues.
DG
Don_Gulley
Dec 18, 2008
Great..thanks for the help!
B
Buko
Dec 18, 2008
Also its Mac.

MAC stands for Mothers Against Canada.
P
Phosphor
Dec 18, 2008
i’m guess in order to save jpegs and other docs like this i need to use the save for the web feature for my pc users to view the files?

No, the files are cross-platform. SFW may help, but what’s viewable on the Mac should be viewable on a PC and vice-versa. There must be some other issue.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 19, 2008
There must be some other issue.

As Ed says. I’ve never had a problem handing off .jpg files to Windows-user friends, family or clients. You shouldn’t always have to "Save for Web…" just to produce a compatible file. And that in itself can become an issue if the file size is too large.

Neil
P
Phosphor
Dec 19, 2008
A couple of guesses….something is messed up in the transfer. Or the PC users are using the wrong software to open the files. If the files are not RGB not many programs can handle them.
NT
Nini Tj
Dec 19, 2008
Check your Preferences for File Handling. Note the settings for Image Preview. Test the different options.
D
DanBridges
Jan 5, 2009
I’m experiencing many of the same problems as described above – I’ve checked and re-checked settings. Every JPEG I send doesn’t give me this problem and sending from Mac to Mac is never an issue. It seems to be more common when sending to people with yahoo addresses.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 5, 2009
Dan,

What happens if you Zip or Stuff the file before transmitting it?

Neil
C
Cindy
Jan 5, 2009
I have noticed that when I try to send jpeg’s and gifs via email to a PC the email needs to be converted to plain text or they don’t see it. Also, it should be zipped as Neil suggests.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 5, 2009
How does one see a JPG image in a plain text message? HTML vs. plain text is not the problem. The problem is that Yahoo (and many other mail clients) can choke on Mac Finder and Photoshop previews and extended metadata in the JPG file if it is not prepared and sent properly.

Try these three steps one at a time until you find success…

1) Use the ‘save for web’ function in Photoshop to produce your JPG files.

2) Make sure that your mail program is set to send a type of MIME encoding compatible with the recipient’s system (check the box for ‘Windows-friendly attachments’).

3) If you are not presenting graphic HTML mail with images and don’t care that the recipient has to download and extract a package of images, wrap your JPG files in a ZIP archive.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 5, 2009
Cindy,

While I offer Stuffing or Zipping as an option, I’ve never had to do so for .jpgs going to Windows contacts. In preferences, though, select that emails should be Windows-compatible.

Neil
C
Cindy
Jan 5, 2009
Neil,

I use Mac Mail. All I know is I have some customers who cannot see jpegs or gifs when I send them. I found that converting the email to plain text fixed the problem. I see nowhere in the prefs in Mail to make PC compatible.
D
DanBridges
Jan 5, 2009
The MIME encoding seems to do the trick!
thanks all . .
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Jan 5, 2009
Where in Mail?

< http://images.google.com/images?q=Windows-friendly%20attachm ents>

There is a fairly good article here <http://www.ncmug.org/tips/mail_attachments.html> that covers all this (and more) and notes the location to set the Windows-friendly attachment. I think the location might vary depending on the type of cat you are running.
C
Cindy
Jan 5, 2009
Ok, I did see where to check it in Mail, but it is always checked. I still have to convert the email to plain text.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 5, 2009
Cindy,

I use Mail as well, and have always kept the preference checked as Jim pointed out — no problems. I deal with non-computer conversant friends and relatives, as well as Windows-based clients without a hitch here.

The only thing I can’t do for Windows recipients is simply drag the file to be attached into the body of my email as I can do with Mac recipients. Instead, I have to take the extra steps: navigate to the file, select the file, and click "Attach" the file, to be sure that there are no problems by Windows recipients.

Neil
C
Cindy
Jan 5, 2009
Thanks Neil.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 6, 2009
Sometimes I have noticed that if the title has a – in it before a number or groups of numbers such as -0006 then it may not open on my clients computers. I am on a mac and they are on a PC.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections