Posted By
Wanda
Nov 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I read about Photoshop Elements 3.0 and was wondering if it has the following functionality :

I have many Photos all over my harddrive, unsorted and in many different Folders.
I’d like to have PE search the whole disk, find all my pictures, let me do the organization in the program (with keywords, albums, etc) BUT most importantly, automatically MOVE all files from their original directory into a new PE folder with either with the Album Name or the original shooting date taken from the EXIF data (just as when you import from a camera). In case of albums, the file moving should be dynamic so that every change within PE is automatically done in the file structure also.

Is that possible ?

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

H
Henry
Nov 21, 2004
PE3 will find photos all over your harddrive, and let you organize them with keywords (Adobe calls them Tags), but it will not automatically MOVE the files from their original directory. Once the files (links) are in the database, you can use the Move feature and it will move them in the database as well as move them in your file structure.

If you decide to use PE3 I would recommend you use Windows explorer first to move the photos you want to catalog into their own file structuer such as under My Pictures before you import them. Then you can tell PE3 to catalog My Pictures and its subfolders only. If you tell PE3 to import every thing on your harddrive, you will get every image associated with every installed program which can include a lot (I mean A LOT) of junk you may not want to catalog.

Adobe has a forum for PE3 and I recommend you take a look at it at:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@249.rJNgaKbUpNU^4 3@.eeb4f8b

There is a sub forum dedicated to the organizer part.

Henry

"Wanda" wrote in message
Hi all,

I read about Photoshop Elements 3.0 and was wondering if it has the following functionality :

I have many Photos all over my harddrive, unsorted and in many different Folders.
I’d like to have PE search the whole disk, find all my pictures, let me do the organization in the program (with keywords, albums, etc) BUT most importantly, automatically MOVE all files from their original directory into a new PE folder with either with the Album Name or the original shooting date taken from the EXIF data (just as when you import from a camera). In case of albums, the file moving should be dynamic so that every change within PE is automatically done in the file structure also.

Is that possible ?

Thanks
W
Wanda
Nov 21, 2004
Henry,

Thanks a lot for your answer… that helped a lot!
PD
postman delivers
Dec 6, 2004
"Wanda" wrote in message
Hi all,

Is that possible ?

Thanks
Wanda,

Adobe Album or software of this genre is a requirement, it is the only way to keep track of your photos and images. My first experience with this type of software genre was using ICQ as a messenger system. The Image database interface allowed me to drag thumbnails of photos from the album listing to the contact name and it would auto send the file.

I had scanned a lot of newspaper jokes, and would send them to add humor to my messenger conversations. Without a photo database I would never have been able to organize the images. I enjoyed this method of adding to the messenger conversations and collected over 10,000 toons very rapidly as others also sent them to me.

Unfortunately AOL changed ICQ’s interface to make it like AIM, and that ended that fun period of using messenger software. Prior to AOL changing ICQ it was possible to keep 20 – 30 different conversations going world wide because of the way it displayed your on-line contacts. It only took a few hours of reacting quickly with the organization of a Image database, to establish the benefits of having a Image Cataloging Software.

I have purchased and learned more than a few of these software packages since my delusional wife searching ICQ foray. In my personal opinion Album is not as mature as other software offerings in this genre, but it is decent package that is included and it will become better with software updates.

Wanda, learn to use this software and enjoy the integration of Adobe Album and the Elements 3. It will provide benefits having them tied together as you grow familiar and learn to use the many features of a image database. If you are a photographer, or graphic student and outgrow the software, then ask. In the mean time learn Album and what it can accomplish and never look back.

Remember Album as a integral part of the Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 software is only available in the Windows version.

JR

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections