B
Posted By
BB
Jul 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Photoshop Elements 4.0, if I try to open any one of a group of TIF files in edit mode, it gives me the message, "Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered".

Then, a file that was several hundred kilobytes gets truncated to a size of 1K or 4K!!! Opening in another editor shows just vertical grey bars. I never told Elements to save the file – the simple act of trying to send the file to the editor causes complete loss of these images.

This happens whether I use "Quick Fix" or "Standard Edit". JPEG’s work just fine. I can open these TIFs in another editor and save as JPEG’s and then edit in Photoshop, so it doesn’t seem like there is anything fundamentally wrong with the TIF’s. They even originally rendered correctly as thumbnails when the directory was imported into Elements.

It doesn’t seem hardware (disk) related since I can edit other image types no problem.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AM
Andrew Morton
Jul 13, 2006
BB wrote:
In Photoshop Elements 4.0, if I try to open any one of a group of TIF files in edit mode, it gives me the message, "Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered".

Try opening the TIFF in IrfanView and saving it again as a TIFF. IrfanView seems quite tolerant of errors in files.

But… those TIFFs aren’t those strange little files that come off some cameras along with the real TIFFs, are they?

Andrew
B
BB
Jul 13, 2006
But… those TIFFs aren’t those strange little files that come off some cameras along with the real TIFFs, are they?

No, these are scanned photos from about 10 years ago.

Try opening the TIFF in IrfanView and saving it again as a TIFF. IrfanView
seems quite tolerant of errors in files.<<

I won’t be able to try further testing until tonight, but a quick test this morning seemed to indicate that if I opened one of these files directly by the editor in Photoshop Elements it was okay. It may just be a problem when I edit via the Organizer.

My big problem with this is that it corrupts the file without any other clue that the file has been changed, making it hard to know what has been affected. The original date stamp is preserved. Fortunately I have backups of these…..

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections