"reconnect missing files" in Organizer (PSE4)

JT
Posted By
Jim Thompson
Feb 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I moved some photo image files in my favorite file manager … and when I loaded up PSE4, and tried to view the files in the Folder view, they were not displayed under the appropriate folder. I tried Get Photos from the new location folder again, but I just got an error message … "photo already in the Catalog" or something like that.

Now, it seems the only way to get Catalog to display thumbnails for these photos in the proper folders is to "reconnect" the missing photos. It looks like PSE searches the entire disk for each file, one at a time, and then for the next "missing" file, repeats the whole process all over again! The alternative is to manually navigate to the new location folder, and reconnect. Another bad surprise there when I did THAT … PSE rotated my photos after I had already rotated them the way I wanted them to be! I had to rotate them again.

This all just seems NUTS to me … I can’t believe that such a highly-praised product doesn’t do a better job. PSE should automatically change its catalog to reflect the new location of moved image files. It already knows that the file is already in the catalog … it shouldn’t be hard to do this. Is there some way to get PSE to do this, that I am missing?

The only way to avoid these problems is to work with the photos EXCLUSIVELY with PSE … but I don’t want to be forced to do that. I have other programs I want to be able to use.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AH
Andy Hardy
Feb 20, 2006
In message <MisJf.57670$> , spoon2001
writes

Now, it seems the only way to get Catalog to display thumbnails for these photos in the proper folders is to "reconnect" the missing photos. It looks like PSE searches the entire disk for each file, one at a time, and then for the next "missing" file, repeats the whole process all over again! The alternative is to manually navigate to the new location folder, and reconnect. Another bad surprise there when I did THAT … PSE rotated my photos after I had already rotated them the way I wanted them to be! I had to rotate them again.

Not sure why this occurred unless one or other of the tools isn’t using EXIF information correctly to determine the orientation of the image.

This all just seems NUTS to me … I can’t believe that such a highly-praised product doesn’t do a better job. PSE should automatically change its catalog to reflect the new location of moved image files.

How is PSE supposed to know where you’ve decided to move your images to?

It
already knows that the file is already in the catalog … it shouldn’t be hard to do this. Is there some way to get PSE to do this, that I am missing?

It ‘knows’ that a file of the same name and characteristics has already been loaded into the catalog, but it wants you to confirm this by ‘reconnecting’ that entry with the new location. If you’ve moved a group of files to the same directory it will usually ‘find’ the majority once you’ve reconnected the first file.

The only way to avoid these problems is to work with the photos EXCLUSIVELY with PSE … but I don’t want to be forced to do that. I have other programs I want to be able to use.

Then… you’re probably in for an unhappy life with PSE. It really-really-really likes to be in total control of the access to your images. If you want to move images, it’s best to use the PSE organizer to do this. You can then make changes to files outside of PSE, but you’ll need to ‘update thumbnails’ if you want the thumbnails to match the newly updated images.

Andy Hardy. PGP ID: 0xA62A4849

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections