moving many layers from one file to another, as in drag-and-dropping a layer….

B
Posted By
Bernie
Sep 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

I am new to Photoshop 6, but getting by very well…

By drag and drop, I can import any layer from any file to any PSD file…

I am wondering if there is a way to import MANY layers at the same time, respecting the order of the layers and their alignment… that is, I want layers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to be imported to the new file, in the same order and all aligned as in the original……

I tried linking the layers before dragging…. Nope, it only drags the layer you click…

Who is the generous person who will share his or her knowledge and tell me?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

W
wes
Sep 16, 2003
I can’t remember about PS6 but can you make a set and put all of the layers you want into that set. Then drag the set across. Here’s is one way. Link the layers you want to move. Make a set by clicking on the small triangle in upper part of Layers palette and choose Layer Set from linked. Then drag the set over to your new image. Does this make sense to you?

<TheRose> wrote in message
Hi

I am new to Photoshop 6, but getting by very well.

By drag and drop, I can import any layer from any file to any PSD file.
I am wondering if there is a way to import MANY layers at the same time,
respecting the order of the layers and their alignment. that is, I want layers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to be imported to the new file, in the same order and all aligned as in the original..
I tried linking the layers before dragging.. Nope, it only drags the layer
you click.
Who is the generous person who will share his or her knowledge and tell
me?
D
DSM
Sep 16, 2003
YOU CAN –

make sure old and new file are same resolution and colorspace link all the layers in the old file you want to move to a new file on the top right of the layers pallette you will see an arrow facing to the right, click it and it will drop down an option menu. choose -new set from linked
you can then drag the resulting group to the new file and it will maintain all layer positions. Layer effects will be maintained in the drag and drop however any effect that has lighting or shading effects will change to the default global lighting of the new file.

OR –

If you are copying most of the layers to a new file or have many layers with effects sometimes easier to just save your file to a new filename and then delete the layers you’re not going to use.

if you need to delete multiple layers, just go down the layer list linking all the layers you want to delete and then hold the ctrl button down and click on the trashcan.

Dan
Omega Design

<TheRose> wrote in message
Hi

I am new to Photoshop 6, but getting by very well.

By drag and drop, I can import any layer from any file to any PSD file.
I am wondering if there is a way to import MANY layers at the same time,
respecting the order of the layers and their alignment. that is, I want layers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to be imported to the new file, in the same order and all aligned as in the original..
I tried linking the layers before dragging.. Nope, it only drags the layer
you click.
Who is the generous person who will share his or her knowledge and tell
me?
E
emencz
Sep 17, 2003
if you need to delete multiple layers, just go down the layer list linking all the layers you want to delete and then hold the ctrl button down and click on the trashcan.

That’s a new shortcut for me. Thanks, Dan.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections