MacBook Pro 2.2 and PS CS4, could someone please confirm for me . . .

SS
Posted By
Sol_Sims
Mar 15, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What I already suspect from searching around Adobe’s support pages. Seems my MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 ghz (just over a year old) is not fully compatible with CS4. It the whole open GL thing. I have the NVIDEA 8600M card which is compatible, but the VRAM is only 128. Adobe states they’ve test supported the 256mb version, and it works. My 128mb version is not working.
Now, I’m fairly disappointed in how Adobe has applied these many new features around this limitation. I was really looking forward to the much improved zoom abilities. In particular, keeping in mind that LR and iPhoto, Bridge all do actually render perfectly, regardless of the current zoom sizing. CS4 seems to be leaving me in the old world of Photoshop, zooming correctly only at 25,50 and 100%. Not to mention all the other Open GL laced features. Kind of sucks, got to tell ya.
Does anyone know if there is a work around on this?
Needless to say, not many local computer shops are willing to upgrade the motherboard-located video card on my MBP. 🙁

-Sol

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 16, 2009
No, it is fully compatible — but it may not be up to using all the OpenGL based features.
SS
Sol_Sims
Mar 25, 2009
Hi All,

To anyone else who may have been seeing this performance issue on their systems, this update link might solve the problem. It did for me.
< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4051> Download and install the plug-in and restart PSCS4. I’m now getting all the advanced Open GL features. Very cool.
Hope this helps.

-Sol Sims
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 25, 2009
But before running out blindly and doing this, note this caveat from Adobe:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Only use these plug-ins if you have been advised to do so by Customer Support or technical documentation. These plug-in and registry scripts have had limited testing. They might cause other issues to occur or might not solve the problem you installed them for.

Neil
SS
Sol_Sims
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks for posting, Neil. Good and very important point. I was indeed advised by Adobe support to do exactly that.

-Sol

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections