MB
Posted By
Mike_Boreham
Nov 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently got a 2.66 Mac Pro with 5Gb RAM, X1900 card, mainly motivated by wanting better responsiveness in Lightroom amd Aperture, which are now both transformed.

HOWEVER, I was also expecting to run CS2 in XP under Bootcamp, and have it be significantly faster that in OSX under Rosetta….NOT SO….at least so far, for me.

The problem seems to be RAM. XP in Bootcamp seems to only see 2 Gb of RAM, and less available of course to CS2. Many threads in the Apple Bootcamp forum saying the same.

My old G5 2×2 with 4.5 Gb ram did the Retouchartists test with (20 history) in 2 mins 15 secs. The Mac Pro under Rosetta does 2 mins 8secs, but CS2 in XP is just under 4 mins. Parallels is over the horizon of course.

There have been numerous reported tests showing CS2 in XP faster than Rosetta, but all the ones I can find are with the Intel mac having 2Gb RAM, so the RAM limit in Bootcamp wouldn’t come into it. Also Barefeats have reported that 10.4.8 speeded up Rosetta, so these "much faster in XP" need careful examination of the datum.

I fully expect that I will be able to speed up CS2 in Bootcamp. I have not tried the 3 Gb switch yet, though many have said it is not working. However it has a lot of ground to make up on Rosetta.

Also XP in Bootcamp with the 1900 card I cannot run my 30in ACD at full res unless the second (palette) monitor is unplugged… a further slowing down factor against XP.

The purpose of this post is twofold….

First to solicit any advice or encouragement about whether CS2 in Bootcamp can be made faster than a 5Gb Rosetta setup.

Second to pass on my experience for the benefit of anyone thinking along same lines.

Comments welcome!

Mike

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
PShock
Nov 12, 2006
I just revisited the retouchartist test on my Mac Pro with 10.4.8 and XP a couple of days ago and my experience seems similar to yours. (However, my MP is somewhat limited compared to yours with only 2 gigs of RAM and the standard Nvidia 7300 card.)

Under XP, I completed the test in 3:55 (history = 20 states and no secondary scratch disk) Under OSX, it finished the test in 3:24 (history = 20 states with a secondary scratch disk)

Naturally, I’d expect the XP PS performance to improve with a secondary scratch disk but I can’t justify dedicating another NTFS HD for this purpose (at the moment, this is a non-production machine). To do a fair comparison, I should run the Mac test with scratch set to the boot drive to (as is the case with XP), but I was just looking for best performance with the setup I have.

I haven’t tried the 3 GB switch thingy either – it seems iffy to work at best, not to mention it wouldn’t matter with my current amount of RAM anyway.

I can’t remember exactly what the Mac PS results were prior to the 10.4.8 update but I think it was near the mid 4 minute mark. 10.4.8 seems to have indeed provided a good speedup under Rosetta.

-phil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections