CS4 and Mac Pro with two graphic cards: OpenGL not supported!

A
Posted By
advance
Nov 1, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have two graphic cards in my Mac Pro. If a use a dual display setup where both displays are connected to the same card, Photoshop enables OpenGL support (Preferences > Performance).
Switch both displays to the other card, also works fine. BUT if I connect one display to the first card and the second display to the second card (so each display has its own graphic card) the Open GL support is greyed out (I can not longer use canvas display rotation for example)

This doesn’t make sense to me and looks like a bug…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 1, 2008
The issue you describe has been ‘discovered’ by other multiple video card users. At present there doesn’t seem to be a fix. Perhaps it will be addressed in an update. No word on that so you shouldn’t expect it but it does seem like a severe shortcoming.
NK
Neil_Keller
Nov 1, 2008
Also (and obviously), be sure that both are supported cards.

Neil
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Nov 1, 2008
Are you running two of the same cards or are they different? I’m running a pair of NVidia 7300GTs with no issues…and I’m driving a pair of 30" Cinemas and an NEC 26" widescreen. I get better performance on the single 30" than on the card with the two displays. Also note that which PCI slot you are driving the cards in has an impact on their performance…something to look into.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Nov 1, 2008
See here:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6e56d/17>

Issues seem to be Apple’s problem when two cards that are not identical are installed.
A
advance
Nov 2, 2008
Issues seem to be Apple’s problem when two cards that are not identical are installed.

Ah, indeed that is the case with me, a NVIDIA and an ATI card!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections