Video Card for PPC MAC G5 (dual processor) that works with CS4?

RD
Posted By
Russell_Dohrmann
Feb 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just recently installed Photoshop CS4 on my laptop (MACBookPro Intel core2 duo, OS 10.5) and on my G5 PowerPC Dual Processor MAC OS 10.4). I like all the new cool features – including the ability to see the hardness/softness of brushes and smooth zooming, but when I tried these features on my PPC G5 I was disappointed to find they were not there. I found that the problem is that my AGP video card (GE force FX 5200) does not support Open GL 2.0 or Shader Model 3 and it doesn’t have enough memory. I looked through the list of GPUs that have been tested by Adobe, but none of these seem to be compatible with my PPC MAC G5. My question is – is there a video card for my PPC G5 Dual Processor that will enable most, if not all, of the functionality of CS4. From the Forums I’m getting confusing and not very definitive information. For example one discussion says that an ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 4x/8x can be installed on my system, but that it still may not work unless a plug-in (AllowOldGPUs – available from Adobe) is installed. Does anyone know for sure if this solution will work? Or, should I just wait until I finally get motivated to get a newer MAC PRO?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 3, 2009
For example one discussion says that an ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 4x/8x can be installed on my system, but that it still may not work unless a plug-in (AllowOldGPUs – available from Adobe) is installed.

The 9600 Pro will work on a G5 but it does NOT support OpenGL.

The only card which does support OpenGL that can be used on a G5, is the nVidea 7800 GT which has been "Flashed for Mac".

I got mine from AppleMacanix (who have an ebay store) and it works perfectly. < http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/applemacanix_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrs Z1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ>
PW
Philip_Waters
Feb 7, 2009
I’m on a Mac G5 with an ATI Radeon 9600 XT card and OSX 10.4.11. In Photoshop CS4 using the System Info option under Help I see a listing that says "Video Card Renderer: ATI Radeon 9600 Xt OpenGL Engine" and directly below another one that says "OpenGL Drawing: Disabled"

My question: How the heck do I ‘Enable’ OpenGL Drawing? Or, as Ann wrote, it simply won’t work? Anybody know why? thanks…
R
Ram
Feb 7, 2009
Philip,

What Ann said. Photoshop detects your video card—which does NOT support OpenGL 2—and disables OpenGL Drawing instantly.

How the heck do I ‘Enable’ OpenGL Drawing?

Only in heck, not here on Earth. 😀
PW
Philip_Waters
Feb 8, 2009
Dang it to all heck. I guess I’m going to have to live without ‘flicking’.
B
Buko
Feb 8, 2009
try the AllowOldGPUS.plugin
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 8, 2009
But read all the caveats first!

Neil
PW
Philip_Waters
Feb 8, 2009
No caveats here where I downloaded it:

< http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=40 51&fileID=3770>

Other? I’ll be sure to review in advance, thanks.
R
Ram
Feb 8, 2009
The caveats are in posts in various threads.

Crashes are a very real possibility. That’s why you use it at your own risk.
PW
Philip_Waters
Feb 8, 2009
Hmmm, dumb question: Does the plug-in need to be in one of the sub folders in the Plug-Ins directory? If so, which? At the root level nothing is happening despite re-start. Thanks.
R
Ram
Feb 8, 2009
Philip,

Does the plug-in need to be in one of the sub folders in the Plug-Ins directory?

No, as long as it’s in the Plug-ins folder, Photoshop can see it.

Just because it is supposed to allow you to use an older card does NOT mean that the card will magically acquire capabilities it does not have.

In many instances, it will have no effect whatsoever.
RD
Russell_Dohrmann
Feb 9, 2009
The question remains as to whether anyone has actually tried this with the Radeon 9600 Pro. It appears from the discussion that it probably will not work.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 9, 2009
The question remains as to whether anyone has actually tried this with the Radeon 9600 Pro

I did — and it doesn’t.

I had an almost new 9600 Pro (which works only with the non-OpenGL functions in CS4) but had to buy a Flashed-for-Mac 7800 GT to use the OpenGL features.
RD
Russell_Dohrmann
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks everyone. I’ve read the tech bulletins, comments, and caveats. It looks like the nVidea 7800 GT (flashed for MAC) is the only real solution without getting a completely new MAC.
PW
Philip_Waters
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks all. I guess I’ll make do with what I’ve got for now and see what kind of new boxes come from Apple this year. I’m disinclined to spend any money upgrading a 2005 PPC tower right now.
B
Buko
Feb 9, 2009
If I recall correctly the AllowoldGPU.plupin worked with the 6600LE
JW
John_Weight
Feb 16, 2009
Is there a list anywhere of what video cards support OpenGL Drawing?
RD
Russell_Dohrmann
Feb 16, 2009
Yes, there is a list created by Adobe in this knowledge base bulletin.

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=1>

And, here’s a knowledge base bulletin with solutions to some problems people have reported to Adobe.

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405064&sliceId=1>

If you find an OpenGL Video Card that works with CS4 on a dual processor PPC G5 running OS-X 10.4.11 let me know.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 17, 2009
The only one that I could find to work with my PPC G5 2 GHz Dual running OS-X 10.4.11 is a Flashed-for-Mac nVidea 7800 GT.

I bought mine from AppleMacanix who sell them via their eBay store: <http://www.applemacanix.com/>

It has been totally reliable.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections