DB
Posted By
Do_Brinkmann
Nov 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Getting new HP computer, customized (I think). Question…is graphics card "128MB NVIDIA GeForce FX (TM) 5200" adequate for PSE2?

Thinking about Memory…"1GB DDR/PC2700 (2DIMM)"…is this better than getting 512 RAM and adding more as I go?

Now showing more of my ignorance…I have external CD burner, but feel I should get this combo…"Primary CD/DVD Drive 48x max. CD-RW/DVD-ROm combo drive (48x24x16x48x)". I have no idea what all these figures mean.

Also this question can DVDs (I read discussion on CD-Roms having perhaps 3 yr. lifespan) be used on my simple CD burner as a better quality CD?

Thanks to anyone who can wade thru this and help me. Do

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KW
Kyle_White
Nov 22, 2003
G’mornin’ Do!

A new ‘puter! Cool!

The NVidia GeForce FX 5200 will do you just fine! Especially with 128MB on board.

512MB of system RAM is a good start, even for WinXPHome. Add more, later, if so desired. Remember, RAM and Hard Drives are like garages and closets – you always need 10% more than you’ve got!

CD/DVD, DVD-ROM/CD-RW (and all those numbers). First the numbers: the 48x24x16x48 referes to the device’s read and write speeds. They are usually in the order of CD Read, CD-R Write, CD-RW Write and DVD Read, but check the documentation for sure. (By the way 1x = 160MBytes/sec for CD’s). You definitely want, at least, the combo drive of DVD-ROM/CD-RW, as a straight CD/DVD is a reader only and won’t burn anything. If it’s in the budget/available you may want to opt for a DVD(- or +)R/CD-RW which would allow you to burn DVD’s (4.5GBytes of storage on a DVD-R). You’ll find that there is a scramble going on, in the world, between DVD-R and DVD+R, but that many of the newer devices can write to either. I’m not sure what the differences are, between DVD-R and DVD+R only that they exist and that there are cross compatibilty issues. (i.e.: don’t try to burn DVD+R media on a DVD-R only device) So long as the device will play movies occaisionally, and store large bunches of files, I’m happy.

And, sorry, nope you can’t use a recordable DVD as a high class CD-R. Two different animals that happen to be the same size and shape. For the stuff you want to store forever, I’d use high quality CD-R’s or DVD. I believe Maxell, Sony and others all make suitable media (usually gold coloured on the record side for CD-R’s) or DVD. Again, high quality brand name DVD’s. For day-to-day stuff, back-ups, CD’s of pictures for friends, etc. I use the C$24.99 spindle of 50 CD-R’s and paper sleeves.

Hope this helps, and DO have fun with the new machine!

😉

Kyle
R
Ray
Nov 22, 2003
Kyle : Just a small correction : 1x = 150Kb for CDs. For DVDs, 1x = 1.3 Mb

Do : I’d get the most RAM I could if I was you. Windows XP will be replaced with a new version soon
(12-18 months) and usually, the amount of RAM it requires doubles with each new version. Currently,
it requires 128MB, but experience shows that you can’t use it with only that much RAM, the least is 256MB. So the next version may ask 256MB of RAM, but as usual, users will get nothing out of this amount of RAM, 512MB will probably be better. So get the 1GB of RAM, you’ll have one less concern for a few years.

Ray
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 22, 2003
G’mornin’ Ray!

Yah, I knew it was down there somewhere. Internal memory cells haven’t passed a parity check in a long time! 🙂

TTFN

Kyle

Edit: 160MByts/sec sure would be nice though wouldn’t it?!? (Bad memory cells and rented fingers! (Mbyte/sec instead of Kbyte/sec – sorry Dorothy! It’s 150Kbytes/sec = 1x))
R
Ray
Nov 22, 2003
LOL !!!

What’s TTFN ? Sorry… this one, I don’t know…

Ray

Yah, I knew it was down there somewhere. Internal memory cells haven’t passed a parity check in a
long time! 🙂
TTFN

Kyle
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 22, 2003
TTFN = Ta Ta For Now!

Just wait until I get into my old morse code operator’s mode! All sorts of shorthand that nobody else understands!:-)

Kyle
R
Ray
Nov 22, 2003
….—…

🙂
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 22, 2003
ROFLMAO!!!!

73’s tu ..

73 = Good Luck
tu = thank you
… = ..

Because t = "-" and u = "..-" so tu .. (- ..- . .) sounds like "Shave and a Haircut"

Kyle
R
Ray
Nov 22, 2003
My dad and brother used to do HAM radio, and before they could talk, they had to be able to do morse. I remember long, very, very long sundays when they’d both sit and listen to morse lessons on
LPs to practice to get their license. They were using my portable turntable (a toy one) to practice
on the dinner table.

The only thing I remember was s = … and o = —, so S.O.S (…—…)

My brother eventually graduated and was able to talk on the radio, my dad never made it passed the morse licence. My brother’s code (address ??) is VE2 DCS. Cool also, as he got his car’s licence plate after his HAM radio licence code (VE2 DCS).

But with the Internet and e-mail, he doesn’t do much HAM radio anymore. I think his equipment is still up and running, but only as an "antique" sort of thing.

Ray
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 22, 2003
I learned my morse code whilst in the Armed Forces (lo these many years ago).

Many of the HAMs I know have gone digital. Handheld VHF/UHF rig with laptop or PDA and awaaaaay they go!! Repeaters all over the place, some with Internet connections – you could send in your Challenge entries while sitting under a tree in a meadow – miles from anywhere!!!

Kyle
DS
Dick_Smith
Nov 22, 2003
….. .. .-. .- -.-

–… …–

Dick
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 22, 2003
LOL!

This is going from the ridiculous and sublimating!!!

-.. . -.- -.– .-.. . …-.-
–… …– – ..- . .
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 23, 2003
Do,

No matter how much memory you put on your new machine now, make sure you check if there are enough available slots for adding to it later on. I made the mistake last year when I ordered my puter, thinking that 512MB Ram will be more than adequate. I found out there are only two slots and each memory strip is 256MB. If I want to have 1GB, I’ll have to buy 2 512MB strips and throw out the existing ones. With the proprietary puter’s motherboard, not all memory modules are interchangeable. Just my 2 cents.

Shan
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 23, 2003
That’s a really good point Shan. When I drool over computers, I prefer ones that are upgradeable in other ways, too, meaning not just extra RAM slots, but video cards that aren’t soldered to the motherboard, and space available for additional hard drives, a second video card, or other addons. My computer will be five years old in January, but it was designed in a way that’s made it pretty easy for me to keep it spunky.
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 23, 2003
Since you are into digital photography, a 6-in-1 cardreader would be a nice option to have on your custom computer. I have a HP with one built in so I know HP makes models with them installed.

Terri
DB
Do_Brinkmann
Nov 26, 2003
To everybody that answered my posting…thanks so much. I have been gone a good bit recently. Therefore the delay in thanking you. I will consider all that was said…some very good points made and I will pay attention!

I just want something I can add to if necessary…roomy interior I guess…and what seems necessary now. Now I am hearing all the "mouse" discussion and wondering if I should move away from a standard one. I don’t use the Wacom pen a great deal. Have an idea the decisions are "endless"! Thanks again….lDo
R
Ray
Nov 26, 2003
Cordless or not… humm… I know I couldn’t live without my cordless mouse anymore. But then, 3 years ago, I didn’t have one and yet, I lived untill today 😉

One thing to consider : does the actual cord of your mouse ever gets in the way, or gets stuck to the point that you have to actually unstuck it to continue working? The reason I got one in the first place is that my desk configuration had changed, and the cord was always stuck in the tablet, or was too short because the PC wasn’t as close as it was to the screen. Back and arm problems forced me to work with accessories closer to my body, and the cord wasn’t really long enough, also. That’s when I was offered a cordless mouse. And glad I got one!

But if you’re happy with your current configuration, and the cord doesn’t pose any problem, stick with what you have! Only, consider going optical. Way smoother for any graphics / design usage.

Ray

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections