JV
Posted By
John_VV
Dec 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Over time, I forget exactly when, Photoshop and Flash applications crash when attempting to start them. Photoshop CS would yield errors that referenced ‘CarbonLib’ in the error message. Macromedia Flash 8 simply crashes on startup, no further info.

So I thought perhaps I should try a newer version of Photoshop, so I downloaded the CS3 trial… also crashes.

So then CS4 came out… installed the trial… it actually loads (during the splash screen anyway) but once you get to the ‘layout’ page, it shows the tools, panels etc but if you hover over any of them you get the magical "beach ball" for eternity. It never actually crashes until your patience runs out and you ‘Force Quit’ the application.

Just updated from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 same deal…

Tried running the apps on a brand new user account… same deal.

I have the ‘Crash Report’… doesn’t mean much to me… how do you make a diagnosis from these messages anyway?

Here’s a little snippet for you gurus:
OS Version: 10.5.6 (Build 9G55)
Architecture: i386
Report Version: 4

Command: Photoshop
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS4 Version: 11.0 (11.0×20080919 20080919.r.488 2008/09/19:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch) (11.0) Parent: launchd 146

PID: 283
Event: hang
Time: 6.13s
Steps: 29

Process: Adobe Photoshop CS4 283
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS4

ADDRESS BINARY
00001000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CS4
0207f000 /System/Library/Frameworks/TWAIN.framework/Versions/A/TWAIN 0208d000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeLinguistic.framewo rk/Versions/3/AdobeLinguistic
0251b000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeOwl.framework/Vers ions/A/AdobeOwl
02790000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeACE.framework/Vers ions/A/AdobeACE
028bb000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeMPS.framework/Vers ions/A/AdobeMPS
02d14000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeXMP.framework/Vers ions/A/AdobeXMP
02d83000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeAGM.framework/Vers ions/A/AdobeAGM
0313e000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeCoolType.framework /Versions/A/AdobeCoolType
03455000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeBIB.framework/Vers ions/A/AdobeBIB
03478000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeBIBUtils.framework /Versions/A/AdobeBIBUtils
034a6000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobePDFSettings.framew ork/Versions/A/AdobePDFSettings
034db000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeAXE8SharedExpat.fr amework/Versions/A/AdobeAXE8SharedExpat
03512000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/ICUConverter.framework/ Versions/3.6/libicucnv.dylib.36.0
035cc000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/ICUData.framework/Versi ons/3.6/libicudata.dylib.36.0
035ea000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/amtlib.framework/Versio ns/A/amtlib
037d7000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/WRServices.framework/Ve rsions/A/WRServices
039e9000 /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS4/Adobe Photoshop CS4.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/AdobeCrashReporter.fram ework/Versions/A/AdobeCrashReporter
039f3000 /Applications/Adobe Ph

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
Did you keep CS3 or did you uninstall it? If the latter, how? Did you use the Adobe Uninstaller?
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
The TWAIN driiver is crashing your Photoshop. Find all instances of the TWAIN plug-in and either delete it or renaming by placing a ~ in front of its name. It’s conflicting with a poorly written scanner driver.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
The TWAIN driver is crashing your Photoshop. Find all instances of the TWAIN plug-in and either deleting it or renaming by placing a ~ in front of its name. It’s conflicting with a poorly written scanner driver.
B
Buko
Dec 21, 2008
CS and Flash 8 are not supported under Leopard.
JV
John_VV
Dec 22, 2008
Photoshop CS4 does not include a TWAIN driver… so why is TWAIN cause the crash/hang?
R
Ram
Dec 22, 2008
The TWAIN plug-in for CS4 is contained in the CS4 Optional Plug-ins folder.

Either it was installed by the user, or CS3 was improperly uninstalled, without using the Adobe Uninstaller and/or running the CS3 Clean script.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 22, 2008
Just a mall possibility, and it is ony a maybe.

The com.adobe.photohop.plist which is in your user’s preferences will be share by all versions of Photoshop you have installed. It is possible that is corrupted.

The other thought of course is a font data base or a font.

Of course it might be time to update the software as Buko is sort of suggesting and you might also try an archival clean install.
JV
John_VV
Dec 22, 2008
I did use the Adobe Uninstaller as well as the CS3Clean uninstall script for uninstalling CS3.

I think I might try going back to CS3 since it will have the TWAIN driver and I can try renaming it to see if it helps – as that has worked for many.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections