WD
Posted By
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please ignore the other question on this forum. It is clogged with non-answers to my original question:

How do I set up Photoshop to simulate 2.2 gamma?

I am on a STANDARD MAC OSX computer (with Apple standard 1.8 gamma) and I do NOT want to change ALL my system, ONLY PHOTOSHOP.

If you cannot answer this question, please do NOT reply here.

Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 7, 2006
From the other thread:

…Just use an RGB space with a 2.2 gamma.

…to address William’s question…wouldn’t View > Proof Setup > Windows RGB do?

…View/Proof Setup/Windows RGB.
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
"View > Proof Setup > Windows RGB"

This is exactly what I wanted, thanks.
I
iGary
Dec 7, 2006
Or you could go modern and profile to gamma 2.2 and save all the extra soft proofing steps.
B
Buko
Dec 7, 2006
In the monitor calibration preferences, one of the steps is to choose your Gamma for the monitor:

"Apple Standard" is titled on the slider, and it is 1.8

"PC Standard" is also labelled on the slider, and it is 2.2

My mother had a good reply when I said "But all the other kids are doing it". She would ask "If all the other kids were jumping off a cliff, would you be jumping off it too?"

Do any of you have Macs?

I’ve been using Macs since 1989 Currently I’m using a G5 dual core with an Apple 23" CinemaHD calibrated with a Greytagmacbeth EyeOne 2 calibration puck and software.

This is from Apples own web site:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302827>

"Choosing gamma and white point

During the calibration of your display, you will need to choose gamma and white point settings. The correct choice depends on how you are most likely to use your images. The best rule of thumb is this:

Unless you have a color management expert instructing you otherwise, select a 2.2 gamma and a D65 white point.

Because Windows PCs use 2.2 gamma, images edited in the traditional Mac
1.8 gamma will appear incorrectly to most viewers on the Internet—this
of course means that your Mac friends need to switch their displays to
2.2 gamma when perusing your 2.2-savvy work."
I
iGary
Dec 7, 2006
These novices seem to prefer Gamma 2.2

Novices at X-Rite Say Gamma 2.2 < http://www.x-rite.cz/product_overview.aspx?Industry=1&Se gment=12&ID=678&Action=Support&SupportID=3516 >
B
Buko
Dec 7, 2006
He’s gone he didn’t come here to learn.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections