WD
Posted By
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am building a kiosk for disabled virtual tour in Wales, and we’ll be using an LCD touch-screen connected to a PC.

However, the standard Mac gamma and PC standard gammas are very different. The PC is much darker than the Mac, typically.

How should I *temporarily" set up my Mac (or in Photoshop) to simulate the dark PC standard screen?

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
barry_gray
Dec 7, 2006
Recalibrate your monitor to gamma 2.2. then don’t look back. There’s no reason to use a 1.8 gamma.
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
All Mac apps, etc, are designed for 1.8 gamma.

I’d rather have a special setting in Photoshop to simulate this, than to mess up everything on my Mac…
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 7, 2006

No. If they’re ICC savvy at all, then they’re designed to use whatever display profile you have set up in your Display Preferences. If there actually is something that assumes 1.8, then it’s either really old, or the developer is caught in a time warp.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 7, 2006
….Besides if you work in Photoshop, the monitor gamma is irrelevant as long as the monitor profile and calibration are accurate. Just use an RGB space with a 2.2 gamma.
I
iGary
Dec 7, 2006

Please elaborate.
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
I guess I will try it for a while. You get used to the NICE "revealing" 1.8 gamma after 20 years or so.
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
"All Mac apps, etc, are designed for 1.8 gamma"

The entire Mac OSX interface is designed with 1.8 in mind… Everything looks far more contrasty and less pleasant.

If you’re not used to the beautiful OSX interface, and have only worked on PCs, perhaps you should give it a go…
I
iGary
Dec 7, 2006
The entire Mac OSX interface is designed with 1.8 in mind…

Please elaborate. Where did you get this information?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 7, 2006
I’ve used OSX since the public beta and wouldn’t use a 1.8 gamma. It looks too washed out, but then I’m used to the 2.2gamma.
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
20 years of using Macs, including working at Apple-related companies.

The Mac has Always been gamma 1.8, every since the Mac II, the first colour Macintosh.

Gates was too lazy to look at the hundreds of pages of research that Apple did into colour display, photography, etc, before they produced their first system. Apple even had Sony prepare a special monitor, which had over 5 times the "resolution" of other 640 x 480 colour monitors of the day; the Apple 15" monitor could display a single black pixel on a gray screen, and with a magnifying glass, you could see that that pixel was not a BLOB (like other monitors), it was actually SQUARE !

I’ve been working with computer graphics since 1971, including digital photography and multiemdia at the (now) MIT Media Lab. I even produced a computer colourized short video, captured from Super8 movie film in 1973, and written back out to Super8 film!
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
"I’ve used OSX since the public beta and wouldn’t use a 1.8 gamma. It looks too washed out, but then I’m used to the 2.2gamma."

If your pix are produced in 2.2 gamma, then of course they’ll look washed out at 1.8.

The 1.8 gamma optimizes the D/A conversion hardware which was prevalent back in the mid-1980s. Hardware is much more sophisticated today, but back then, digital photos on the Mac looked far better than those on PCs. This persisted until the mid- to late-1990s.
B
Buko
Dec 7, 2006
William the only reason for the 1.8 Gamma was for printing to Apple laserwriters.

I switched over to 2.2 gamma back in 97 while still using OS8. There is absolutely no reason on earth to be still using a 1.8 gamma.
I
iGary
Dec 7, 2006
William, where do you get such information?
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
"There is absolutely no reason on earth to be still using a 1.8 gamma. "

Apple and 10,000,000 colour professionals use it. If you’re not a colour professional, then use what you want.
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
Since most of my work is done on Macs, and most of the pros I deal with use Macs, and ALL of them are using 1.8 Gamma, then that makes sense for me, in general.

When I have to do a project which is to be installed on a PC kiosk, I can either try to figure out how to make the PC (and any subsequent PCs) run at gamma 1.8, or I can set my Mac there while in Photoshop for this project and prepare my assets that way.

I didn’t intend to get into a philosophical discussion, sorry.

Just wondering if Photoshop has a setting to allow me to simulate 2.2 gamma for a while.
B
Buko
Dec 7, 2006
Apple and 10,000,000 colour professionals use it.

this is untrue. you might think 10,000,000 colour professionals use it, because you still do.

If you are a color professional in the 21st century you use a Gamma of 2.2.

If you are stuck in the 1980s you use a Gamma of 1.8

I happen to be using up to date gear with up to date calibration tools. We are trying to help you William. If you don’t want to learn why did you bother to come here and ask?
I
iGary
Dec 7, 2006
William, please, source just one of the technical claims you have made concerning the use of Gamma 1.8 on the Mac.
B
Buko
Dec 7, 2006
Yes Please answer iGary, I to am interested where you are getting this information from.
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
"If you don’t want to learn why did you bother to come here and ask?"

Flame off, please.

I asked a simple question, and I do not want to change my system, or the systems of my associates or clients. They are ALL using 1.8.

So, are you going to flame on, or are you going to help answer MY question.

Thanks.
I
iGary
Dec 7, 2006
William, your question has been answered. Let go of the legacy B&W LaserWriter Gamma 1.8 days and profile your displays to Gamma 2.2. Gamma 1.8 is ancient history.

Do you know that the Adobe RGB (1998) working space, as well as most working spaces, are Gamma 2.2?
B
Buko
Dec 7, 2006
If you really want to help your Clients you need to properly calibrate your monitors with a 2.2 gamma do do it once and forget it. There is no simple switch. that is what everyone is trying to tell you.

and please give us the source of this 1.8 gamma is what should be used. You seem to keep leaving this out.
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
In the monitor calibration preferences, one of the steps is to choose your Gamma for the monitor:

"Apple Standard" is titled on the slider, and it is 1.8

"PC Standard" is also labelled on the slider, and it is 2.2

Do any of you have Macs? Or are you just flaming?

If you cannot answer MY question, then please go away.
WD
William Donelson
Dec 7, 2006
THIS QUESTION IS CLOSED.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 7, 2006
While I’m firmly in the 2.2 camp, to address William’s question…wouldn’t View > Proof Setup > Windows RGB do?
I
iGary
Dec 7, 2006
View/Proof Setup/Windows RGB.
I
iGary
Dec 7, 2006
I wasn’t aware that professionals ever profile their displays with Apple’s System Preferences/Displays/Color/Calibrate eyeball calibration tools.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 7, 2006
If you cannot answer MY question, then please go away.

Your question was first answered in post #4.

If you don’t want flaming, then you shouldn’t come to an Adobe forum and spew flamebait like this:

Apple and 10,000,000 colour professionals use it. If you’re not a colour professional, then use what you want.
B
Buko
Dec 7, 2006
In the monitor calibration preferences, one of the steps is to choose your Gamma for the monitor:

"Apple Standard" is titled on the slider, and it is 1.8

"PC Standard" is also labelled on the slider, and it is 2.2

My mother had a good reply when I said "But all the other kids are doing it". She would ask "If all the other kids were jumping off a cliff, would you be jumping off it too?"

Do any of you have Macs?

I’ve been using Macs since 1989 Currently I’m using a G5 dual core with an Apple 23" CinemaHD calibrated with a Greytagmacbeth EyeOne 2 calibration puck and software.
R
Ram
Dec 7, 2006
William,

Your information is outdated. Period.
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
RAmón ,William is a ludite he refuses to move forward. Even Apple on their website recommends using a 2.2 gamma. But he will never read these post because he is gone as he does not want to hear the new way things are done.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections