NG
Posted By
neil_grundy
Aug 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just purchased a new iilama prolite TFT monitor, and am wondering if gamma works with this. If not how do i disable it ?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BB
brent_bertram
Aug 7, 2004
Neil,
It’s likely that the monitor came with a driver disk. If you installed those drivers, I’d expect they would have placed the MFG’s profile for the monitor in the correct location.
Profile locations:-

Windows 98, 98 Second Edition and Me – folder named windows/system/color Windows 2000 and XP – sub-folder named system32/spool/drivers/color Mac OS9.x – ColorSync profiles are located in the System Folder/ColorSync Profiles folder Mac OSX – ColorSync profiles are located in the Library/ColorSync/Profiles folder .

Open the Adobe Gamma utility in Control panel and load the profile for your display ( hopefully, it’s obvious in the list, which profile you want <G> ) . Then rename your profile to a personal name ( so you don’t overwrite the original ) and save it. Adobe Gamma should make that the default profile for your system, and load the video LUT at startup appropriately. Don’t do anything else in the Adobe Gamma utility except load the profile, and save it as a personal profile. If the profile is good, all will be well .

🙂

Brent
NG
neil_grundy
Aug 7, 2004
What i did is open gamma, then ajust as per the wizard. But when it came to saving it wouldn’t save over the other profile. So i changed the name, it seems to have worked. Here’s hoping……………
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 7, 2004
Sounds right, Neil . Keep hoping! Worst case, just do it again with no adjustments.

🙂

Brent
AS
Allan_Steele
Aug 11, 2004
I’d like to disable Adobe Gamma.How is that done?
ML
Mark_Levesque
Aug 11, 2004
Adobe Gamma is a utility. You "disable" it by not running it in the first place. The question is why you’d want to do such a thing. All Adobe Gamma does is help you calibrate your monitor and create a profile for it so you have a decent chance of seeing colors in a predictable way. If you don’t calibrate your monitor, you may have a much more difficult time printing things that look like what you see on your monitor.
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 11, 2004
If you remove the Adobe Gamma loader.exe file from the startup folder, you’ve effectively disabled Adobe Gamma.

You can always run it manually, if you choose.
NG
neil_grundy
Aug 13, 2004
Its just that i heard that gamma is not very good with lcd monitors. But it seems to work fine with my Iilama prolite. Is it woth getting a new graphics card with a dvi connection ?
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 13, 2004
Neil,
Adobe Gamma ( especially the wizard ) was not designed with LCD displays in mind. Some of the questions aren’t even applicable in an LCD environment. A hardware calibrator is by far the best way to go.

That being said, I use Adobe Gamma on my old notebook to balance the colors, and try to refrain from editting and it works well for me there. It’s better than no calibration and profiling at all. I think if it were me, I’d buy a calibration and profiling package before I’d buy another video card for the DVI interface, but the DVI is definitely better with your LCD.

Doesn’t really answer your question, does it ? <G>

As you can see, I tend to lean in directions but not jump right in !

🙂

Brent
NG
neil_grundy
Aug 14, 2004
Well kind of, and maybe not….
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 14, 2004
Let me be unequivocal, here ! <G>

Spend the $$$ on the video card and buy a calibration package. If you don’t like either, I’m always here to take it off your hands .<G> (LCD display, too, if you’re cleaning house ) .

🙂

Brent
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 14, 2004
That Brent; what a guy!
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 14, 2004
I’m kinda’ one of a kind, all right, Beth, baby !

🙂
NG
neil_grundy
Aug 18, 2004
OK then, sounds like a good deal to me. Your all heart.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections