How do I know printer color management is disabled?

L
Posted By
lycale
Feb 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently got a Mac 5 and Photoshop CS. I am printing to an Epson 890 Stylus Photo Printer and I’m using Panther. I downloaded the latest Epson 890 driver from the Epson site. Before I got my new Mac, I was using Photoshop 7 and Jaguar. I used to be able to select "no color adjustment" in the printer dialogue. The new dialogue does not give me this choice. It simply says "standard" and it allows me to select colorsync, which I don’t want to use. The dialogue is entirely dlifferent from the Jaguar dialogue. It now, in the advanced settings, gives me the option of changing the individual color saturations, brightness, etc. But how do I know that I’ve disabled printer color management? My prints are coming out with a magenta cast, and I want to be sure I haven’t used both Photoshop and the printer to color manage. Thanks so much in advance.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
JasonSmith
Feb 24, 2004
If you select colorsync, you disable the printer’s CM.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 24, 2004
< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac.htm>

Ya need to dig a little deeper, I think…
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 24, 2004
No color mgmt. is still using a "default" color space to render the file. ( generic RGB ) A really bad flavor. So, this means……….hit the books or eat what your parents gave you.
L
lycale
Feb 24, 2004
Before I switched to Panther, I had been using the profile for my printer–the one for the paper I’ve selected. I’m printing from Adobe RGB to that profile. By clicking on "no color adjustment," I’m preventing the printer from making additional color adjustments. I’m letting Photoshop do all the work. Now, with the new settings in Panther and Photoshop CS, there doesn’t seem to be a button that you can click on to disable color adjustment by the printer. I’ve navigated through all the options. Again, thanks so much for your help.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 24, 2004
Now, with the new settings in Panther and Photoshop CS, there doesn’t
seem to be a button that you can click on to disable color adjustment by the printer.

NO COLOR ADJUSTMENT
Print Space: (Specific) PrinterPaperInk profile

You need to dig DEEPER>>>See Fig.9 and imagine the No Color Adjustment option is selected ๐Ÿ™‚

< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_3b. htm>
L
lycale
Feb 24, 2004
I’m familiar with that dialogue box–it’s the dialogue I used to have when I was using Jaguar, not Panther. The problem is that the box (which usually came up if I chose advanced) that allowed me to select "no color adjustment" just isn’t there, the way it used to be. I’ve reallly dug deeply to find it, but it’s not there.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 24, 2004
By clicking on "no color adjustment," I’m preventing the printer from making additional color adjustments. <

This is not completely true. Even with it turned off the Quick draw driver is running the file through the PCS still.

You need to read a bit more about how to manage color because what you think is happening………isn’t.

;o\
GB
g_ballard
Feb 24, 2004
Sorry, lycale.
Maybe Ian will see your post and let us know what’s going on…sounds like Panther broke your driver?
GB
g_ballard
Feb 24, 2004
MO) You need to read a bit more about how to manage color because what
you think is happening………isn’t.

Doh! ๐Ÿ™‚
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 24, 2004
Yea,

Just when you think you understand where the goal line is, they seem to move it…

or at least forget that it’s broken…

;o(

regardless, good info G.

;o)
GB
g_ballard
Feb 24, 2004
Geez, MO, ur the guy trying to change the industry — maybe you should partner your idea with Apple — they seem to be pretty good at moving the target ๐Ÿ™‚
GB
g_ballard
Feb 24, 2004
The lay users know, Apple could certainly use some help with their ColorSync c_o_n_v_o_l_u_t_i_o_n…
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 24, 2004
I thought about working for Apple or Adobe, but they can’t afford me.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 24, 2004
I thought about working for Apple or Adobe, but they can’t afford me in the capacity that they could use.
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Feb 24, 2004
We’ll soon need a 23" cinema display to read your post Mike…

๐Ÿ˜‰
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 24, 2004
My head is no where near the size of others…..
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Feb 24, 2004
Just teasing. I actually appreciate the fell of your post’s, along with others….
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 24, 2004
Actually, I irritate myself a lot.

It don’t get any more real than right here.

;o0
IL
Ian_Lyons
Feb 24, 2004
The latest driver for the 890 was released in December 2002 so that isn’t the issue. If you see a difference it’s because your memory is playing tricks on you or you’re not using the Epson 890 driver.

The problem is that the box (which usually came up if I chose advanced) that allowed me to select "no color adjustment" just isn’t there, the way it used to be. I’ve reallly dug deeply to find it, but it’s not there.

No Color Adjustment was NEVER obtained by choosing Advanced in Jaguar. The Advanced option is found under Print Settings. No Color Adjustment is found under Color Management in the driver (as it has been since OSX was released).
GB
g_ballard
Feb 24, 2004
No Color Adjustment is found under Color Management in the driver

Yeah, just like your tutorial ๐Ÿ™‚

I am still printing from Nine (and working from Seven)…
IL
Ian_Lyons
Feb 24, 2004
G,

Yeah, just like your tutorial

Yep it seems to be more popular now than ever. It is averaging 16,500 unique visits as direct requests from outside my site to the first page of the tutorial since Xmas. That’s a tad below the Photoshop CS Colour Management tutorial at just over 20,000 direct requests.

Another interesting statistic (for Apple and Adobe) 8.5 % of the requests came from Mac OSX users and 2.1 from Mac OS 9. I wonder if that reflects the market share for Mac to PC.

Heck, maybe I’m the reason so many folk claim to get crap prints from Photoshop ๐Ÿ™
GB
g_ballard
Feb 24, 2004
16,500/20,000 unique visits

Now that’s impressive, baby!

My site’s averaging around 800 unique visitors a month with a 70% bookmark rate. My #1 page /nca.html is being viewed about 500 times a month.

65% Mac, 35% Windows (this month).

Someone linked my "rule out ram" page on macintouch.com. I got 650 linked visits off it in one day alone.
Puny numbers by yours, but every visitor a thrill for me.

The numbers simply boggle my mind…
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Feb 24, 2004
Are we looking forward to seeing ad banners on your sites you two? What can you do with these numbers?

I’m still trying to figure out how to make money on the web. If you both had 2ยข from each ad for each hit, I wonder what that would accumulate to.

CHA-CHING!
IL
Ian_Lyons
Feb 24, 2004
G,

16,500/20,000 unique visits

I should have stated per month.

Puny numbers by yours, but every visitor a thrill for me.

Yes it’s nice to think that you’re helping someone. It stops being nice when you get some jerk bitching in your ear, demanding every minute of your day and breath you take. In the main most folk are pretty reasonable.

The numbers simply boggle my mind…

So will the excess bandwidth bill when it comes. What you need to be careful of is freeloaders (folk calling your images/screenshots from their site and as part of their tutorials).

My main site has a limit of 10GB per month before I go into big money charges. I also have a secondary site that I keep a lot of images/screenshots on. These are called from the tutorials etc on the main site. The main site seems to be hitting around 8GB per month at present. The secondary site is about 20GB. It looks like I’ll need to start moving more stuff from the main site to the secondary. This all costs ME money – I must be friggin nuts (correction I AM nuts!).

But we digress – the issue is printer colour management.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 25, 2004
16,500/20,000 unique visits per month.

Wow, that’s beyond boggle ๐Ÿ™‚
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 25, 2004
I could make more money doing the dishes at Lyons.

;o)
GB
g_ballard
Feb 26, 2004
dishes?
IL
Ian_Lyons
Feb 26, 2004
dishes?

the things you eat your dinner off ๐Ÿ˜‰
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 26, 2004
hmm..

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections