How to disable thumbnail preview in Card Transfer utility?

D
Posted By
drmrbrewer
May 16, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A question about the PSE3 utility that transfers images from a memory card to the hard drive:

How do I disable the display of thumbnails in the initial window that comes up?

I will never make a decision as to what to transfer at that stage; I’ll always do that later. Therefore it’s a complete waste of time to sit there waiting for all the thumbnails to come up, and then wait again while the same data is read off the card when you press OK.

Please tell me you can.

Thanks,

Mike

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JH
Jim_Hess
May 16, 2005
Do you really have to use Elements to transfer your images? I don’t know what type of computer you have. I use a PC and a card reader. The card reader shows up in Windows Explorer as an additional drive, and I can just do drag and drop transferring using Explorer.
D
drmrbrewer
May 16, 2005
I personally use Nikon Transfer and then I go straight to PSCS. But I’m trying to set up an easy workflow for my wife to encourage her to transfer and manage her own darned images! Hence it’d be nice for PSE3 to do it all in one. But it’s a pain in the b*tt to have the thumbnails come up at the start; it just prolongs the process, especially if the memory card is full.

Mike
CW
Colin Walls
May 16, 2005
Mike

Why is this a problem? For me, if I have less than say 100 pictures, the thumbs appear so fast that if I blinked I’d mess them. Do you have a very slow card reader?
D
drmrbrewer
May 16, 2005
Colin, it’s not a problem, I just like whingeing about PSE3!

Seriously, I have a Lexar USB 2 CF card reader, couple with a Lexar Pro 40x CF card. Sure, it’s not like it takes three minutes for the thumbnails to come up, but it’s just another delay you could easily do without. First there is the delay while the thumbnails come up, then there is the delay while the images are actually transferred, then the delay while the images are imported into Organiser. The first delay could easily be avoided with a simple menu option.

Mike
CW
Colin Walls
May 16, 2005
Actually, I agree with you mostly. I don’t really use those thumbs [except to select rotation, but I’d be happy enough to do that after]. A feature request is called for, I guess.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections