Photoshop 6.0 How to DISABLE anti-aliasing???

BW
Posted By
Brad_Wilkes
Sep 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a large B&W image, and when I shrink the image, it looks anti-aliased. This is really annoying because I just want black and white crisp lines.

I did turn off anti-alias on the polygon tool, but that didn’t make a difference with my shrinking situation.

Please advise.

I have Photoshop 6.0 on a mac.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
Brad,

Are you working with bitmap files (black or white only) or grayscale? Is this a screen-only phenomenon? How do they look at 100% or 200% size on-screen. Or do your files print this way at 100% or 200%?

If you are doing linework only (such as with engineering drawings), you’d probably be better served working in Illustrator.

Neil
SF
Scott Falkner
Sep 15, 2008
If your image mode is bitmap this cannot happen.
BW
Brad_Wilkes
Sep 15, 2008
Thank you so much for your quick response! 🙂

Well, I’m actually working with a screen capture of a piece of art that I did in — believe it or not — Hypercard.

So, I just took a screen capture of the art. Then I opened it in Photoshop 6.0. Then I cropped it.

At 100% or 200%, it looks fine, no anti-aliasing.

Then when I go to "image size" to make it smaller, it looks anti-aliased.

And when I print it out, it looks anti-aliased. Which is annoying to the viewer because it looks a little blurry.

—-

Anyway, I just tried Scott’s idea, and it worked! Now, the only problem is that when I shrink the image, some of the lines are thin, and some are thick.
It looks like this: <http://www.iamyourpappi.com/MazeTest.gif>

Is there any way (in Photoshop) to keep this from happening?

Should I resort to using Illustrator, or even Flash?

Thanks again!
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 15, 2008
Brad,

If you have precise pixel-on-pixel image registration (such as at 100% or 200% size) and you print it to that size, the maze will not vary in line width.

The problem is when you do not have such precise image alignment, a choice has to be made in bitmap mode by the computer whether a pixel that reads a part of the width of the line should display it as black or as white. That is, if a line is 1.5 pixels wide, how does it represent the line if half a pixel is needed to represent the full width? Obviously, with the choices of black or white, the line will either be too wide or too narrow.

My recommendation is to resample the art. Quadruple or octuple the resolution and see what happens. Just make sure you work in whole increments of 100%. In essence, you’ll have that many more pixels to represent the width of the line, so you’ll have greater freedom in scaling the maze without having to resort to antialiasing or suffering with differing line widths.

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections