F
Posted By
fb3
May 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My original catalog is a mess because I do a lot of editing and deleting outside of PSE. I’m wondering if I can make a new catalog simply by going to FILE CATALOG NEW (or whatever) and importing all images from My Pictures directory.

If yes, how do I then delete the original catalog. Is there also a del catalog option uder FILE CATALOG? (I will check but the pgm is busy just now).

And is there any easy way to get PSE3 to do this kind of update automatically (as opposed to rematching filenames with moved files which is ridiculously time consuming and inefficient)?

Thanks

fb3

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin Walls
May 31, 2005
Just create you new catalog, open it and forget the old one. Deleting it won’t save you significant disk space or anything.
F
fb3
May 31, 2005
does this mean that del the old cat is not possible or not easy? i have, for the present, reverted to PSE2 w/o the Organizer as there seems to be quite a lot of chatter here about screw-ups, lost catalogs, etc. etc. Beginning to think PSE3 not ready for prime time.

Thanks for the help, though. I appreciate all I can get.
CW
Colin Walls
May 31, 2005
does this mean that del the old cat is not possible or not easy?

Nothing hard about deleting it. Just why bother?
A quick way is to use the normal Explorer-like characteristics of a file open dialog. Do File/Catalog/Open, right click on the catalog you want to delete and select delete. There is actually more tidying up that could be done, as there is a folder with the catalog’s name containing the thumbnail cache.

there seems to be quite a lot of chatter here about screw-ups, lost catalogs

True. And that’s what it is – chatter. There must be thousands of users who have had no trouble and don’t stop by here to tell us how great Organizer is. [A few do!]

This software was released [as Photoshop Album V1] over 2 years ago. It is complex and it ain’t perfect. But, if you expect perfect software from any vendor, dream on. There are people with genuine problems, but there are many more with problems of their own making [operator error] or are upset because the software doesn’t do exactly what they want/expect.
F
fb3
May 31, 2005
What about my question regarding PSE3 automatically keeping up with moved/deleted/changed files?

Does it do that, too, and I just haven’t figured out how? Or does it simply mark (with the little red icon) files no longer connected to their thumbnails in the catalog? And if the latter, in what way is this useful information, exactly?

I mean, I could understand if the program automatically gathered up all thumbnails no longer connected to files and moved them to a "deadwood" directory, adn I could understand a good reason for for simply deleting them, and I could understand automatically (in background) reconnecting to moved files (though if changed the thumbs would have to be remade).

I like various aspects of PSE3, and I’m less worried than I was about its speed, but troubles with catalogs and thumbnails and so on worry me. Sometimes, where there’s smoke there’s some fire, too.

Thanks–
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 1, 2005
How would Organizer be able to keep track of image files moving about "randomly"? It woul dbe an enormous overhead to have it constantly checking that mages are where they last were and seeking them if not. The point behind the program is that it’s a database of image locations. Change the location of the data and the database gets screwed [but will often sort itself out remarkably well].
F
fb3
Jun 1, 2005
that’s odd. i thought there were a host of programs that do exactly what i’m asking about? i thought that’s the way most of the thumbnailing/viewing programs worked, i.e., you move a file and they remove the now-errant thumbnail and create a new one in the directory view to which the image has been moved? i think ACDSee does this, and i thought most of the other did, too. huh.
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 1, 2005
OK. How do they do it? ESP?

Sorry to be flippant, but searching a few hundred gigabytes to find a file is just daft.
F
fb3
Jun 1, 2005
You can be as flip as you want, but you’re beginning to worry me, so I tried this: I looked at a directory in ACDSee. Loaded a file from that directory into PE2 and saved it to another directory (My Pictures). Then I went back in PE2 and deleted the picture from the original directory.

Then I started ACDSee and lo! The thumbnail for the picture now in the My Pictures directory showed up in the My Pictures directory, even though it had been moved in PE2! Likewise, there was no thumbnail for the picture in ACDSee in the previous directory, where PE3 had deleted it!

Must be magic, huh? Or, you’re daft.
JJ
Jim_J
Jun 2, 2005
Guys…

Given that we’re actually trying to help each other… let’s see if we can’t tone it down a tad. We each have different positions and perspectives. I think that is something that we all need to remember…

So…let’s just move on, focus on problems and try not to convince each other that our own concepts of workflow is a one size fits all.

Cheers
CW
Colin Walls
Jun 2, 2005
I agree Jim.

I try to put a rational argument and fb3 calls me daft.

Now, comparing with ACDSee is not very fair. With that tool [which is excellent at what it does], you tell it which directory you want to look in and it creates thumbnails. The point behind Organizer is that it does all the worrying about folders for you. It frees you from that concern.

Maybe you’d like to try this [I don’t have the software installed to try it – life is too short]: place a photo in the Image Basket in ACDSee. Now move the original image file. What happens?
F
fb3
Jun 2, 2005
Thanks for your help. All best.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections