RC
Posted By
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 28, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I friend decided he no longer wanted to use Photoshop 7, so he gave me his copy. ::grin::

Knowing that I had a limited amount of time to ride an upgrade on the back of Photoshop 7, I ordered the upgrade of CS3.

When the product arrived, I saw no indication of it being an upgrade. I believe they sent me the full version of CS3. Very powerful and stable version, I might add…packed with features I’d never dreamed were possible.

I can understand why they would have sent the full copy. It’s outdated. They need to sell it. The stock of photos is no longer available. Not to worry. I take my own pictures.

How can I know for sure that the copy of CS3 I have is an upgrade? I already had Photoshop 7 installed on the computer at the time of installing CS3, but I didn’t see any sign of the installation pausing to search for a formerly installed version.

thx

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Jan 28, 2009
if it’s already on the computer i think it just skips right past that. i’d be more concerned you got a legit copy of cs3 at this late date. you can confirm that by calling adobe and asking that they validate your serial # for you.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 28, 2009
First issue: Nobody can give you their copy without transferring the license with official paperwork and if he used PS 7 at any point for upgrading, it’s completely illegal.

Second issue: if you bought CS3 recently from a non-authorized Adobe reseller the chances are it’s pirated also.

Please do not post a link to the reseller unless it’s one of the major players such as Amazon. If you’d like to email me that information, I’ll check it out.

Click my name, go to my website you’ll find contact info there.

Bob
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 28, 2009
Hi Dave. It authenticated online when I installed it.

Robert. I checked out the online store and it’s legit. I wouldn’t buy an illegal copy. I certainly wouldn’t hand over my hard-earned money for an illegit copy. I wouldn’t trust a pirated version on my computer. That would compromise the security and whatever else it could manage to damage.

My friend gave me the program and he did not upgrade it…nor was IT an upgrade. He just happened to find GIMP a better program for his needs.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 28, 2009
Then your friend needs to fill out the paperwork or you’re technically using an illegal copy.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 28, 2009
It authenticated online when I installed it.

that doesn’t necessarily mean anything. the hacked copies bypass the registration and activation process and look like they’re authenticated. i would call for my own piece of mind, also while you can still charge back if it does turn out bogus. you wouldn’t want to find out when you’re denied the next upgrade because your current serial # isn’t valid. (happened to a couple people here already!)

and right, what bob said. you buddy needs to fill out the transfer of license form then you should be good to go!
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 28, 2009
Trustprice at <http://www.trustprice.com/> sold me Photoshop CS3. It’s legit. Apparently, the issue about Photoshop 7 isn’t applicable at this point, because there is nothing on the CS3 program that indicates it’s an upgrade. Since my question hasn’t been answered, I’m assuming it ISN’T an upgrade. I have no reason at this point to use Photoshop 7, so please call off the dogs. I’m not a thief.

Oh, and if someone told you about my mattress tag, it’s a lie. It ripped off by accident. Honest! Please don’t notify the authorities. This is the third mattress tag that’s ripped off and I don’t want to go to jail. ::smile::

Thanks for the welcome, though. I really felt the warmth. ::smile::
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 28, 2009
we’re not saying you’re a thief rich. just that you may have been taken by one. i was suggesting you ask adobe for your own piece of mind. <shrug>

also, i notice they still have version 6 too. hmm…
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 28, 2009
They also have Microsoft Publisher 2003. It is possible for a company to have extras they hadn’t sold before the companies switched over to more current versions, isn’t it?
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 28, 2009
They are listed on Bizrate. They have a consumer review on pcworld. I checked out this company because I’d never heard of them before i ordered the program. I’ve always dealt with Buy.com, but they were "out of stock but we’ll contact you when we receive a new shipment" (paraphrased). I knew they weren’t getting a new shipment in.

Christmas ate my WOO for buying CS3 (idiot relatives expect nice gifts then give me crap wrapped in pretty bows). So I was elated that this company had a copy left. I jumped at it…paid almost $200 for it. Not that it isn’t worth it. It ROCKS!
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 28, 2009
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 28, 2009
and if someone told you about my mattress tag, it’s a lie

Mattras Tag? What’s that? We’ve got a huge Roger Dean design matrass here, but there’s no tag on it.

But let’s call it "dog kennel", otherwise we’ll have to get into the fish tank and sing again.

Sorry, just some MP video’s on the desk here. Will get up to civil standard again as soon as we find those tags.

Rob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 29, 2009
sounds like the real deal, richard. i’ve already told you what you should do to be sure. the phone call is free.
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 29, 2009
I’ll go ahead and call, just for the peace of mind. But it did SOMETHING to gain internet access, and I don’t think I’ve registered it yet. And don’t worry, that WILL happen. I always register my products. I even registered my bikes when I was a kid, but they got stolen anyway, and the police did nothing. Oh well. It’s just one of those many life lessons that teach you a few things…like carry a gun.
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 29, 2009
I haven’t had much time to actually sit down and look at all the features, but I could have used the vanishing point before Christmas when I was trying to copy, skew, and line up patterns to make Christmas presents for my Christmas cards.

I still haven’t figured out what the color replacement brush does, but I’ll get it. Something tells me that it would be easier for me to use the same method as usual, by inverting an adjustment layer and coloring in the area I want to color, or hue or saturate.

The filters window is the best feature, so far, but, I haven’t really played with it.

I’ve been looking for tuts (that’s not a typo), but I don’t have the patience to sit through a video. What ever happened to the simple step by step written tuts that you can skip through the steps you already know?

Any helpful links for written tuts will be helpful to me. Or, a link TO a page of links.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 29, 2009
you’re going to love cs3. it’s a great app.

google for photoshop tutorials like this;

"photoshop tutorial [feature]"

no quotes, and replace [feature] with what you want to learn about. like:

photoshop tutorial vanishing point

< http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&am p;=&q=photoshop+tutorial+vanishing+point&btnG=Google +Search&aq=f>
H
Ho
Jan 29, 2009
Richard, in CS3, under Help, do you see "Deactivate"?
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 30, 2009
Ho, yes, it’s there, but it’s greyed out.

I called Trustprice.com, and he assured me that it was legit. He promised me, however, that if Adobe told me it was not real that they would "take care of me". That can have several meanings. ::smile::

I called Adobe, and they assured me that is is real.

If you want to check the number yourself, it’s:

1234-5678-0910-1112-1314-1516-1718-1920

::smile::

I feel much better now.

But i still don’t know how to tell if it’s an upgrade.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2009
if you can you need to edit that! NEVER post your serial # it can be used by crackers then you WILL be screwed if adobe flags your # as one that’s used in cracked apps!!!
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 30, 2009
Look real closely at that number, Dave. Our poster THINKS he’s funny.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2009
whooo doggie! got me there. here i am jess tryin ta help and ya shur pulled the woolies over ma ays. 😉
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 30, 2009
That’s not a real number? It worked.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 30, 2009
Then you have bogus software.

Neil
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 30, 2009
the fact that the deactivate menu item is disabled (is it really?) is a clue.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 30, 2009
If I play that serial number backwards, I hear Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds!

Bor
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 31, 2009
Wow. you have better hearing than me. Is she still begging Ricky to let her in his act? Oh, and they may look like diamonds, but, they’re really stars.

Dave, it is disabled (no joke), but Adobe confirmed that the serial number is legit. I asked him three times to repeat it to make sure I heard him right. I had to because he had a really heavy accent. So I said, "you are saying that the number is legitimate? And he said, "yes it IS good" (something like that).

I’ll be honest. I was afraid to call, but I wasn’t going to spend $200 for a fake copy, either, and the merchant said they’d make it right if Adobe did say it wasn’t good.

Neil, what’s bogus is that post you replied to. ::smile::
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 31, 2009
well best of luck rich. you know, something occurs to me… you COULD use that right away to upgrade to cs4 direct from adobe. that way you’re sure you have a fully legit version and they couldn’t change their mind at a later date… just a thought.

anyway, this is a great forum (if a little paranoid – i blame bob levine, our moderator! :)) so hang around, read, learn, ask questions and share your favorite tips and tricks.

dave
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 31, 2009
Get in line, Dave. <g>

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 31, 2009
please suh, may i have some more greul please?
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Jan 31, 2009
Dave: "you COULD use that right away to upgrade to cs4 direct from adobe. that way you’re sure you have a fully legit version and they couldn’t change their mind at a later date… just a thought. "

I’m not getting what you’re saying. Who could change their mind? If Adobe told me it IS legit, how could they change their mind? They could just yank the number back?

You stated my plan. I did get CS3 so it wouldn’t be expensive to use later versions. CS3 is the last chance to upgrade from &. CS4 won’t allow that according to the need-to-have checklist. It’s cheaper than buying the entire package. But I can’t afford to upgrade right now.

Have we figured out how to tell whether it’s an upgrade, yet? I don’t want to uninstall Photoshop 7 and Photoshop cs3 just to see if Photoshop cs333 would install without 7.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 31, 2009
You’re not legal anyway if you bought a 7.0 to CS3 upgrade. You don’t have a legal copy of Photoshop 7.0.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 31, 2009
If Adobe told me it IS legit,

I guess.

You’re not legal anyway if you bought a 7.0 to CS3 upgrade. You don’t have a legal copy of Photoshop 7.0.

XD true. technically, you still need that transfer of license form from your friend.
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Feb 1, 2009
Not if cs3 is the full copy, and not an upgrade. That’s what I’m trying to find out. I don’t see anything that shows it’s an upgrade and I don’t want to uninstall both to find out if it is. The package does not say it’s an upgrade, and neither does the front page when Photoshop starts.
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 1, 2009
There is no visible indication of "upgrade" on the disk or its case but the cardboard packaging has a sticker with PHSP,CS3,WIN,UPG,IE,1PK,DV.

UPG is the clue.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 1, 2009
what john said i’m looking at my cs3 upgrade now. there’s a white sticker on the inner gray box like he describes (UPG), but there’s also a silver UPGRADE sticker with some legal mumbo jumbo describing what an upgrade is on the colorful cardboard sleeve that goes around the gray box.
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Feb 2, 2009
I don’t see anything anywhere that shows UPG or upgrade. The main thing that makes me believe it’s not an upgrade is that when I installed it, it didn’t pause to check for a previously installed version. It just went through with the installation. The only pause was when it activated.

I am concerned about why "deactivate" isn’t showing up.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 2, 2009
like i said, if you can get a legit upgrade to cs4 in now, i’d do it… 😉
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 2, 2009
I am concerned about why "deactivate" isn’t showing up.

If that command isn’t there (it might be grayed out for a couple of minutes when starting) then it’s pretty safe to assume someone has sold you a pirated copy. It’s most likely a volume license that someone stole from work.

What other nasty little things they’ve added to it I couldn’t tell you.

Bob
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 2, 2009
Who could change their mind? If Adobe told me it IS legit, how could they change their mind? They could just yank the number back?

Yep. Perhaps the number is a new pirate one. You are using it, and suddenly 3000 other people start using it. Well, Adobe will add it to the list of pirate numbers and you are out of luck.
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Feb 2, 2009
OK, I got tired of asking questions and wondering in the dark. And I’m sure you’re tired of hearing them…not that you are annoyed or anything. Everyone has been great in here.
And everyone is wondering the same things I’m wondering.

So, I uninstalled Photoshop 7. I uninstalled Photoshop cs3. I reinstalled Photoshop cs3 and it installed. Now when I go into the help section, the deactivate shows up. I’m giving my friend back his Photoshop 7 disc, since it appears that I was given the full copy of photoshop cs3.

Before I do, I have another question. Is it possible at all that Photoshop 7 left something on my computer that makes Photoshop cs3 think it’s upgrading? Or did all of Photoshop 7 get taken off when I uninstalled it?

Thx for all your help. You’ve been very kind and patient.
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Feb 2, 2009
I just noticed all of the "how to" options under the help menu that weren’t there before, either. This is a pretty decent addition. I don’t have to pull up the help file to search. It still comes up, but it goes right to the place I need help with.

I’ve spent so much time trying to figure out if it’s real that it distracted me from the program itself.

I must go to create masterpieces now. I’ll try to remember your names when I become famous.
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Feb 2, 2009
Oh, and please don’t be jealous. Jealousy doesn’t become people.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2009
<john cleese>you blurdy BARstard!</john cleese>

no. not jealous a bit. 😛 🙂
DE
David_E_Crawford
Feb 3, 2009
Unless if some dumb sucker was part of the 5,000 downloads that sorta gave them a virus. Good example of not knowing if something extra was added. Amazing how many people try to obtain adobe software in not so legal ways in such a small time span.

<http://www.intego.com/news/ism0902.asp>
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2009
The crack application then requests an administrator password, launching the backdoor with root privileges.

OMG!11!PONIES!!11!! XD

if you give a cracked program your root/admin password, well, expect what you get.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 3, 2009
(hint: it usually AIN’T ponies!!!11!!)
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Feb 3, 2009
This one is totally legit. I admet I took a program from a friend who offered it to me (the disc, not a copy) when he decides that Gimp is a better program for him. I didn’t even know it was wrong. Isn’t it like buying a book and letting someone else have it when you’re done?

But I don’t ever download crap into my computer. I don’t even download freebie software from "safe" websites that only offer honorable programs that are free. Unless it’s absolutely needed like Acrobat Reader.

Besides, it was hard enough to hide the computer under my jacket. I don’t think I could pull that one off in the same store again. So I have to really take care of this baby.
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 3, 2009
This one is totally legit.

In the immortal words of Felix the Cat…Rightie-O!

Bob
RC
Richard_Cavataio
Feb 5, 2009
"We’ll do the same thing we do every morning, Pinky…we’ll try to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 5, 2009
Pinky, are you pondering what I’m pondering?

I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections