O
Posted By
Observer
Sep 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have to move my photos and associated catalogs from my hard drive to an external drive — not back up (I already do that to a second external drive) but move the whole kit and kaboodle to a new external drive, retaining the file structure of the photos folder.

Using PE5 to move is a non-starter, since it insists on renaming the files and throwing everything into a single folder.

My problem is copying the files and the catalogs breaks the link between the two — I have to reconnect them somehow. The auto-reconnect function is practically useless — it searches for one file for a few hours without finding it (I have a peferred file structure into which I put all new files and then catalog them with PE5) and eventually stops responding.

Using the manual reconnect window sorrt of works, although it’s a herculean task to reconnect over 40,000 files, but the worst problem is that PE5 crashes peridodically, and if the database has not explicitly updated (by exiting the manual reconnect window and letting it run trhough a 5+-minute update), then changes to the database are lost and have to be redone.

I’d like to find some simple way to move the files and their catalogs from the current drive, while retaining the folder structure of the native files, without having to go through the reconnect function or, alternatively, find some way to do it without losing my work every time PE5 gives up the ghost.

I’d also consider switching products (since I only use the organize function of PE5 and do all my photo editing in Photoshop itself), if there were one that was sufficiently robust *and* compatible with PE5’s .PSA files.

Any suggestions? TIA

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

HP
Harold Peavey
Sep 16, 2007
I have the same problem in PE4. Advise please.
CF
Chris French
Oct 28, 2007
Do it in folder view in Organizer.

You can use drag and drop on the folders then to move them from the old to new locations.

IIRC it will deal with nested folders ok (you might want to test). If you have lots of folders though I would probably do it in batches in case it barfs over a large move.

I would do a catalogue recover first just to make sure everything in it is ok

I can’t remember if PSE4 had folder drag and drop.

to move the catalogue over you just copy it in Windows Explorer to the new location, then open the copied catalogue file in Organizer. —
Chris French
K
Kedunk
Mar 30, 2008
On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:20:05 -0500, Observer wrote:

Path: textbe01-phx!hwmnpeer02.phx!hw-filter.phx!hwmnpeer01.phx!hwm npeer01.lga!news.highwinds-media.com!cycny01.gnilink.net!cyc lone1.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!new shosting.com!216.196.98.140.MISMATCH!border1.nntp.dca.gigane ws.com!nntp.giganews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news. giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:19:22 -0500
Newsgroups: adobe.photoshop.elements
Subject: Move photos and catalog from one hard drive to another PE5 Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 22:20:05 -0500
Organization: n/a
Reply-To:
Message-ID:
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 4.2/32.1118
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Lines: 34
X-Usenet-Provider: http://www.giganews.com
X-Trace: sv3-rWVC/LOM4I3jVL+8zyO2l4gK4a9gKS71D98mCBNsrdOM+aoPmSDXjp38 LqQ9fzpHUx0+c7lh9mTJZsJ!pU6B1wnmKra5r3lhZviUcZXWLUdcG8JhF+ST 42/xKV6bJI8aZ0HR+RQvUdUDSle959dA
X-Complaints-To:
X-DMCA-Notifications: http://www.giganews.com/info/dmca.html X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Please be sure to forward a copy of ALL headers X-Abuse-and-DMCA-Info: Otherwise we will be unable to process your complaint properly X-Postfilter: 1.3.36
Bytes: 2798
Xref: Hurricane-Charley adobe.photoshop.elements:9328
X-Received-Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:19:34 MST (textbe01-phx) X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 080330-0, 03/30/2008), Inbound message X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

I have to move my photos and associated catalogs from my hard drive to an external drive — not back up (I already do that to a second external drive) but move the whole kit and kaboodle to a new external drive, retaining the file structure of the photos folder.
Using PE5 to move is a non-starter, since it insists on renaming the files and throwing everything into a single folder.

My problem is copying the files and the catalogs breaks the link between the two — I have to reconnect them somehow. The auto-reconnect function is practically useless — it searches for one file for a few hours without finding it (I have a peferred file structure into which I put all new files and then catalog them with PE5) and eventually stops responding.

Using the manual reconnect window sorrt of works, although it’s a herculean task to reconnect over 40,000 files, but the worst problem is that PE5 crashes peridodically, and if the database has not explicitly updated (by exiting the manual reconnect window and letting it run trhough a 5+-minute update), then changes to the database are lost and have to be redone.

I’d like to find some simple way to move the files and their catalogs from the current drive, while retaining the folder structure of the native files, without having to go through the reconnect function or, alternatively, find some way to do it without losing my work every time PE5 gives up the ghost.

I’d also consider switching products (since I only use the organize function of PE5 and do all my photo editing in Photoshop itself), if there were one that was sufficiently robust *and* compatible with PE5’s .PSA files.

Any suggestions? TIA

You say you have backed up all of your photos and Catalog files to an external hard drive. I haven’t tried this. But, can you go into Edit/Preferences and change where Photoshop looks for the photos and catalog?

Just an idea.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections