BW
Posted By
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why my prints, especially the black & white, on my Epson were printing with a terrible green cast. Today, I found out from Epson that ‘Full Color Management’ really is essential for the best printing results in Photoshop Elements: Photoshop Elements–>Color Settings–>Full Color Management- optimized for print. Epson also said, in the ‘Print Preview’ dialog box with the ‘Show More Options’ box checked, ‘Source Space’ should never be an ‘Untagged RGB’. In the past, I had read that a good majority on this forum use ‘No Color Management’ in Elements, so I did so also. Unfortunately, I now have a large number of psd’s that are ‘Untagged RGB’. I don’t see the choice to embed the original sRBG IEC61966-2.1 profile from my digital camera, as I was hoping to. I found the printing results were better with the original profile embedded, I had a few which were saved correctly prior to my switching.

1) Is there any way possible to embed the original sRGB IEC1966-2.1 profile into the now ‘Untagged RGB’ psd’s? I tried duplicating the psd and re-saving the psd file, but ‘Adobe RGB’ was the only option available.

2) Which profile is better, sRGB IEC1966-2.1 or Adobe RGB (1998)? My thought would be the original one from my digicam, but I now have a huge dilemma because the edited psd’s are completed and Untagged, with only the option for imbedding a profile of Adobe RGB.

Hope this makes some sense. Please help me clear up this confusion, thanks!

Barb

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
jhjl1
Apr 7, 2004
It’s a matter of preference Barbara. I have all of my images tagged adobeRGB by choice. If you want to change them all to sRGB you could take your archived photos and get them to someone with full Photoshop if you do not have it. As for as which is better you will get 101 different opinions. Good luck.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why my prints, especially
the black & white, on my Epson were printing with a terrible green cast. Today, I found out from Epson that ‘Full Color Management’ really is essential for the best printing results in Photoshop Elements: Photoshop Elements–>Color Settings–>Full Color Management- optimized for print. Epson also said, in the ‘Print Preview’ dialog box with the ‘Show More Options’ box checked, ‘Source Space’ should never be an ‘Untagged RGB’. In the past, I had read that a good majority on this forum use ‘No Color Management’ in Elements, so I did so also. Unfortunately, I now have a large number of psd’s that are ‘Untagged RGB’. I don’t see the choice to embed the original sRBG IEC61966-2.1 profile from my digital camera, as I was hoping to. I found the printing results were better with the original profile embedded, I had a few which were saved correctly prior to my switching.
1) Is there any way possible to embed the original sRGB IEC1966-2.1
profile into the now ‘Untagged RGB’ psd’s? I tried duplicating the psd and re-saving the psd file, but ‘Adobe RGB’ was the only option available.
2) Which profile is better, sRGB IEC1966-2.1 or Adobe RGB (1998)? My
thought would be the original one from my digicam, but I now have a huge dilemma because the edited psd’s are completed and Untagged, with only the option for imbedding a profile of Adobe RGB.
Hope this makes some sense. Please help me clear up this confusion,
thanks!
Barb
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 7, 2004
Hi James,

Are you saying that full Photoshop offers the ability to re-tag psd’s with any profile? I may just have to use that offer Beth posted yesterday for PS CS for $299, I figured one of these days I’d be upgrading.

I forgot to include this earlier. As soon as I put ‘Full Color Management’ back on in Elements and assigned the ‘Adobe RGB (1998)’ profile, that horrible green cast was gone! 🙂

James, thanks!

Barb
J
jhjl1
Apr 7, 2004
Yes and you can write an action to do them all at one time.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Hi James,

Are you saying that full Photoshop offers the ability to re-tag psd’s
with any profile? I may just have to use that offer Beth posted yesterday for PS CS for $299, I figured one of these days I’d be upgrading.
I forgot to include this earlier. As soon as I put ‘Full Color
Management’ back on in Elements and assigned the ‘Adobe RGB (1998)’ profile, that horrible green cast was gone! 🙂
James, thanks!

Barb
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 7, 2004
An action, sounds great! Now I know why I need it…
RC
Richard_Coencas
Apr 7, 2004
Barbara,

AdobeRGB has a better gamut for printing. Most people use sRGB for the web. I have an Epson 2200 and get the best results with AdobeRGB and using the Epson paper profiles. Be sure to turn off management in the Epson printer dialog.

Rich
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 7, 2004
Rich,

I have the same printer and will follow your excellent advice; I’m still learning all about it. There are some new profiles for the 2200 at Epson, I’d post a link but the sessions always expire.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Barb
R
RobertHJones
Apr 7, 2004
Barbara,

If you want to imbed sRGB in your untagged images, you don’t need to go to full Photoshop. Elements can do that in a round about way. Simply change your color management setting to "limited" instead of "full" and the save as dialog will offer sRGB instead of Adobe RGB. Full color management will offer Adobe RGB.

After you’ve retagged everything, you can switch back to full color management.

Bob

wrote in message
For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why my prints, especially the
black & white, on my Epson were printing with a terrible green cast. Today, I found out from Epson that ‘Full Color Management’ really is essential for the best printing results in Photoshop Elements: Photoshop Elements–>Color Settings–>Full Color Management- optimized for print. Epson also said, in the ‘Print Preview’ dialog box with the ‘Show More Options’ box checked, ‘Source Space’ should never be an ‘Untagged RGB’. In the past, I had read that a good majority on this forum use ‘No Color Management’ in Elements, so I did so also. Unfortunately, I now have a large number of psd’s that are ‘Untagged RGB’. I don’t see the choice to embed the original sRBG IEC61966-2.1 profile from my digital camera, as I was hoping to. I found the printing results were better with the original profile embedded, I had a few which were saved correctly prior to my switching.
profile into the now ‘Untagged RGB’ psd’s? I tried duplicating the psd and re-saving the psd file, but ‘Adobe RGB’ was the only option available.
thought would be the original one from my digicam, but I now have a huge dilemma because the edited psd’s are completed and Untagged, with only the option for imbedding a profile of Adobe RGB.
thanks!
Barb
SS
Susan_S.
Apr 7, 2004
Barb – I think it’s possible to do with Applescript – in the library/colorsync/scripts folder (that’s the main library not your user library) there are a whole set of example colorsync scripts including "embed a chosen profile". You chose the file, then have to chose the profile – if you know where the AdobeRGB profile is (I could locate the sRGB but not that one) then you can embed it… I’ve not tried it though…..
Susan S
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 7, 2004
Barb,
There is a lot of confusion about digicam’s and their imbedding of sRGB as a colorspace in the EXIF information. The EXIF info has only two states for colorspace, untagged or sRGB . The camera says sRGB, but the image itself is probably closer to AdobeRGB than sRGB .
I recommend using the IgnoreEXIF utility to block the EXIF color information. Then use the AdobeRGB colorspace unless you simply cannot stand the "richness" of the colors . You can always go back to limited color management and sRGB, but its not a good match for the printer’s gamut.

If you had the full Photoshop, and you’re going to print to an inkjet, I’d recommend the BruceRGB colorspace over the AdobeRGB space, since it was designed with photo inkjet output in mind.

<http://www.creativepro.com/printerfriendly/story/6541.html>

🙂

Brent
J
jhjl1
Apr 7, 2004
Regardless of the color management settings I use I only have the option to save the profile it was tagged with prior to opening in Elements. What am I missing here Bob?

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Barbara,

If you want to imbed sRGB in your untagged images, you don’t need to
go to
full Photoshop. Elements can do that in a round about way. Simply
change
your color management setting to "limited" instead of "full" and the
save
as dialog will offer sRGB instead of Adobe RGB. Full color
management will
offer Adobe RGB.

After you’ve retagged everything, you can switch back to full color management.

Bob

wrote in message
For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why my prints, especially
the
black & white, on my Epson were printing with a terrible green cast.
Today,
I found out from Epson that ‘Full Color Management’ really is
essential for
the best printing results in Photoshop Elements: Photoshop
Elements–>Color
Settings–>Full Color Management- optimized for print. Epson also
said, in
the ‘Print Preview’ dialog box with the ‘Show More Options’ box
checked,
‘Source Space’ should never be an ‘Untagged RGB’. In the past, I had
read
that a good majority on this forum use ‘No Color Management’ in
Elements, so
I did so also. Unfortunately, I now have a large number of psd’s that
are
‘Untagged RGB’. I don’t see the choice to embed the original sRBG IEC61966-2.1 profile from my digital camera, as I was hoping to. I
found the
printing results were better with the original profile embedded, I had
a few
which were saved correctly prior to my switching.
profile into the now ‘Untagged RGB’ psd’s? I tried duplicating the psd
and
re-saving the psd file, but ‘Adobe RGB’ was the only option available.
thought would be the original one from my digicam, but I now have a
huge
dilemma because the edited psd’s are completed and Untagged, with only
the
option for imbedding a profile of Adobe RGB.
thanks!
Barb

J
jhjl1
Apr 7, 2004
Now I am confused Brent. My camera offers me the option of shooting in adobeRGB, does that mean my files actually contain no profile out of the camera. It’s somewhat a moot point as this is for jpeg only and I normally shoot raw and convert to adobeRGB when converting from raw to TIFF>

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
Barb,
There is a lot of confusion about digicam’s and their imbedding of
sRGB as a colorspace in the EXIF information. The EXIF info has only two states for colorspace, untagged or sRGB .
SS
Susan_S.
Apr 7, 2004
James – once an image is tagged then you have to (I think..it’s been a while since I did it) do a save as with the color profile box unchecked. This deprofiles it. Then open it in full colour management and tick the Adobe RGB in the save as…. the downside of this is that it means you will be bringing an taggged image into AdobeRGB – and if your camera images are anything like mine it means that the reds suddenly become dayglo and the editing process has to recommence…
BW
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks everybody!

Susan, I’ll look into the Applescripts, great suggestion!

Brent, thanks for clearing up the mystery of profiles for me. I’ll follow what you recommend, you are the resident color management expert here and I appreciate your help. Your link will come in handy if I do invest in the full PS. 🙂
J
jhjl1
Apr 7, 2004
Thankfully I now have my images, both jpeg’s shot in adobeRGB and raw files converted to adobeRGB where they look the same in all 4 of the color managed programs I use. They also match the monitors and printers used by my lab who prints all of my photos. It took forever to get my images to proof to what the labs printer will output and I wouldn’t change a thing at this point even if I found out everything I am doing is incorrect. LOL

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
James – once an image is tagged then you have to (I think..it’s been a
while since I did it) do a save as with the color profile box unchecked. This deprofiles it. Then open it in full colour management and tick the Adobe RGB in the save as…. the downside of this is that it means you will be bringing an taggged image into AdobeRGB – and if your camera images are anything like mine it means that the reds suddenly become dayglo and the editing process has to recommence…
R
RobertHJones
Apr 7, 2004
James,

If the image was tagged, that will be the profile option in the save as dialog. If the image is untagged, the profile that will be offered is 1) the monitor profile if you are in no color management, 2) sRGB if you are in limited color management, or 3) Adobe RGB if you are in full color management.

If you are using PSD files, this works as advertised. I just tested it out and had no problems. I took an existing photo, saved it as a psd with the profile box unchecked. I could then open it and by changing the color management option, do a save as and get the profile mentioned above associated with the specific management option.

I’ve noticed that with JPG files, the original profile seems to stick around and that’s what you get offered — even if you uncheck the profile box when you save it. I’m guessing there’s something in the jpg file that retains that information besides the profile. I have some jpgs that I created in Adobe RGB that only offer that to me and others that were created in sRGB that only offer that. I haven’t tried it with tiff so I don’t know if they behave this way or not.

Bob
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 7, 2004
James, could you share what steps you had to take to get to where you are? If you’ve already posted that in another thread or even in this one, please let me know where and I’ll search. I get a blank stare on my face when reading about color management; it’s just not sinking in….

🙂
J
jhjl1
Apr 7, 2004
The printer and I both use Quick Gamma on our monitors and adjust it throughout the day to compensate for changes in lighting. I have embedded adobeRGB in all of my files. I have Elements set to full color management. I have Photoshop set to Custom with the conversion options set to-Engine:Adobe (ace), Intent:Relative Colormetric with both black point compensation and use dither checked. I save the TIFF file from Photoshop and send it to the printer and he handles it from there. He has many profiles depending on the printer, paper or inks I want used. He has a separate profile for images with a lot of bright yellows in it. The biggest problem we faced was getting my monitor and his to match. This was important since I sometimes have a file at his place that needs some adjustments and also so he can make sure that if a print matches what he is looking at it also matches what I have been working on.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
James, could you share what steps you had to take to get to where you
are?
If you’ve already posted that in another thread or even in this one,
please
let me know where and I’ll search. I get a blank stare on my face
when
reading about color management; it’s just not sinking in….
🙂

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 8, 2004
James, wow! You’ve really dug into this one. Thanks for sharing the learnings

I believe I can use most of what you listed….except that my printer is a ‘she’. Will that make a difference?

🙂

Chuck
BB
brent_bertram
Apr 8, 2004
James,
"Now I am confused Brent. My camera offers me the option of shooting in adobeRGB, does that mean my files actually contain no profile out of the camera. "

Not at all so, James . Some of the better cameras offer an image actually tagged with the AdobeRGB colorspace ( rather than simply "sRGB" in the EXIF info ) . The problem is with cameras EXIF info being inaccurate . When it IS inaccurate, it creates a problem with color casts, etc. When in doubt, it’s better to ignore the EXIF color info and pick the closest colorspace you can find to your image and edit from that point.

🙂

Brent
J
jhjl1
Apr 8, 2004
Thanks for the info Brent. I always read your post with great anticipation. I wander over to the color management forum from time to time but most of it goes right over my head.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
James,
"Now I am confused Brent. My camera offers me the option of shooting
in
adobeRGB, does that mean my files actually contain no profile out of
the
camera. "

Not at all so, James . Some of the better cameras offer an image
actually tagged with the AdobeRGB colorspace ( rather than simply "sRGB" in the EXIF info ) . The problem is with cameras EXIF info being inaccurate . When it IS inaccurate, it creates a problem with color casts, etc. When in doubt, it’s better to ignore the EXIF color info and pick the closest colorspace you can find to your image and edit from that point.
🙂

Brent
J
jhjl1
Apr 8, 2004
Chuck I have done a lot of digging but so have many broke miners around here. It’s working now and that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
James, wow! You’ve really dug into this one. Thanks for sharing the learnings

I believe I can use most of what you listed….except that my printer
is a
‘she’. Will that make a difference?

🙂

Chuck

BW
Barbara_Wayne
Apr 8, 2004
Bob, thanks! Somehow I missed your earlier post, I’ll give your suggestions a try too. I’m glad I brought this up today and found such helpful replies from you all!

Barb
J
jhjl1
Apr 8, 2004
Thanks Bob, I missed this one yesterday.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
wrote in message
James,

If the image was tagged, that will be the profile option in the save
as
dialog. If the image is untagged, the profile that will be offered
is 1)
the monitor profile if you are in no color management, 2) sRGB if you
are in
limited color management, or 3) Adobe RGB if you are in full color management.

If you are using PSD files, this works as advertised. I just tested
it out
and had no problems. I took an existing photo, saved it as a psd with
the
profile box unchecked. I could then open it and by changing the color management option, do a save as and get the profile mentioned above associated with the specific management option.

I’ve noticed that with JPG files, the original profile seems to stick
around
and that’s what you get offered — even if you uncheck the profile box
when
you save it. I’m guessing there’s something in the jpg file that
retains
that information besides the profile. I have some jpgs that I created
in
Adobe RGB that only offer that to me and others that were created in
sRGB
that only offer that. I haven’t tried it with tiff so I don’t know if
they
behave this way or not.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections