Posted By
johnkissane3
Jun 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
johnkissane3
Jun 28, 2004
Sorry for the entry mistake.

Here is the question. I have covered all the topics on color management. Still a little (maybe a lot) confused. I have PS set up in Adobe RBG (1998). I import files from Olympus, Canon and Nikon and they always show up as sRBG IEC 61966-2.1 when i import into PS. What make them sRBG. And when i import should I keep sRBG or convert to RBG. I print and dont care about the web. Thanks.
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 29, 2004
I import files from Olympus, Canon and Nikon and they always show up as sRBG IEC 61966-2.1 when i import into PS. What make them sRBG

Short answer: The cameras.

And when i import should I keep sRBG or convert to RBG

I think you mean convert to AdobeRGB.

Frankly, it’s your choice, I would convert since Adobe RGB has a wider gammut.
BB
brent_bertram
Jun 29, 2004
John,
You might try the IgnoreEXIF plugin . It allows you to bring the images into your workspace and assign the profile of your choice. You might find that your camera images are more accurate ( or more to your liking for that matter ), interpretted as BruceRGB or AdobeRGB . If sRGB seems the better choice for the way you want your image to look, then I’d use that and convert to AdobeRGB or BruceRGB, depending on your primary intended use. Both are useful, medium gamut workspaces, with the BruceRGB being targeted at inkjet printing.

🙂

Brent
J
johnkissane3
Jun 29, 2004
Thanks folks,

Brent, I downloaded and installed Ignore EXIF from Adobe and althought its a 7.1 download I had no problem with it in CS. Works fine when you just follow instruction. ha ha…..Also did a Google and various other searches for BruceRBG but only come up with Amazon Book reviews. Can you point me to this profile. Thanks again.
P
pboone
Jun 30, 2004
Forumula for Bruce RGB <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8-colour/ps8_4.htm> from Ian Lyon’s website. <http://www.computer-darkroom.com>

John, the first link should take you to page 4 of Ian’s tutorial on PSCS Color Management settings on his site. You may want to start at the beginning, just to be sure you have all your ducks in a row!

HTH,

Paz
J
johnkissane3
Jun 30, 2004
Paz

Got it. Did it. Thanks.
P
pboone
Jun 30, 2004
🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Jun 30, 2004
John ,
You may be interested in the history of BruceRGB, if you’re going to try it out, <http://www.creativepro.com/printerfriendly/story/6541.html> .

🙂

Brent
J
johnkissane3
Jun 30, 2004
Brent, thanks for the background. Interesting. Basically an amature and this kind of stuff may help open my eyes. Regards
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Jun 30, 2004
A little more information about the background:

sRGB, AdobeRGB and Bruce RGB have the same primaries Red and Blue. All have the same tone reproduction curve (TRC) gamma=2.2 (though with undefined modifications for Adobe- RGB(98) and a well defined TRC for sRGB (averaged to 2.2 within 1% full scale accuracy)).
The white point is D65 for all.

Green for AdobeRGB is the NTSC(1953) green primary.
BruceRGB Green is somewhere between sRGB Green and Adobe- RGB(98) Green.

The essential questions are: which colors are in AdobeRGB(98) but not in BruceRGB ? Which colors are in BruceRGB but not in sRGB ? The answer is difficult. Tests can be done by
measuring Pantone Spot Greens. Test results on demand, but the results are by no means striking.
Polemically or joking: AdobeRGB and BruceRGB are good for photos of virgin woods (djungles) with nearly all kinds of green leaves.

If this should sound confusing: Simply use AdobeRGB(98)
because it´s an accepted standard. Fairly large for any kind of inkjet printing. IMO no artifacts by quantization.

The gamut illustrations in B.F.´s docs are IMO not correct. Maybe the state of the art in 2000.

I don´t blame anybody. Just want to say: BruceRGB is IMO a rather trivial invention, a working space between sRGB and AdobeRGB(98), concerning the Green primary.

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
J
johnkissane3
Jun 30, 2004
Gernot,

Thanks, eyes opened further. Regards

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections