Posted By
weuw
Dec 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, and sorry for my bad english.

I am using old Monaco Sensor Optix with my new LCD HP F2105 monitor. The sensor created a color profile which is set in the color management parameter of my ATI Radeon 9800 card.

But pictures are different between Photoshop and any web browser. They look better, more punchy, under Internet Explorer for instance.

The solution is to use my monitor profile as color space under Photoshop, but I’ve red that color space should be Adobe RGB or SRGB, not the monitor color space…

May you explain to me where is my error ? Or maybe the colorimeter is bad and the profile not good ?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GC
Graeme Cogger
Dec 6, 2005
In article <4395f840$0$29211$
says…
Hello, and sorry for my bad english.

I am using old Monaco Sensor Optix with my new LCD HP F2105 monitor. The sensor created a color profile which is set in the color management parameter of my ATI Radeon 9800 card.

But pictures are different between Photoshop and any web browser. They look better, more punchy, under Internet Explorer for instance.
The solution is to use my monitor profile as color space under Photoshop, but I’ve red that color space should be Adobe RGB or SRGB, not the monitor color space…

May you explain to me where is my error ? Or maybe the colorimeter is bad and the profile not good ?
The problem is that very few applications use the profile properly.

Creating a profile has 2 parts:
1 – Calibration: the display is adjusted (via settings in the graphics card and maybe the monitor controls) to get things like colour temperature, gamma etc. correct. All applications see the effect of the calibration.
2 – Profiling: the response of the calibrated display is accurately measured to create a profile of how it displays colour. This profile is used by profile-aware applications to adjust the colours sent to the graphics card and monitor. Without these adjustments, the colour displayed will not be accurate.

Photoshop, as you can imagine, is profile-aware and displays accurate colour. Most other applications (e.g. web browsers, Windows itself) are not profile-aware, do not correct the colours sent to the graphics card, and do not display accurate colour. That is why you are seeing a difference.

Using the monitor profile as a working space is BAD. Device profiles and colour spaces are used for different things, and working in a device profile is a bad idea. One example – in a colour space such as sRGB or AdobeRGB, if you have RGB values all the same then the colour displayed is neutral. This is not true if you use a device profile, which makes it very difficult to make adjustments. Tweaking brightness or contrast, for example, will probably change the colours of the image.

Unfortunately (unless your PC is a Mac!), if you want a profiled monitor you have to put up with a difference between Photoshop and most other applications. Photoshop is correct 🙂
T
Tacit
Dec 7, 2005
In article ,
Graeme Cogger wrote:

Using the monitor profile as a working space is BAD.

Not for the Web, it’s not. If you’re working on images intended for the Web, using "monitor RGB" is a quick and easy way to make sure that what you see in Photoshop is what you’ll get in a Web browser.

For any other use, of course, you’re absolutely right.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
BV
Bart van der Wolf
Dec 7, 2005
"tacit" wrote in message
In article ,
Graeme Cogger wrote:

Using the monitor profile as a working space is BAD.

Not for the Web, it’s not. If you’re working on images intended for the Web, using "monitor RGB" is a quick and easy way to make sure that what you see in Photoshop is what you’ll get in a Web browser.

Assuming others are using an exact same LCD with the same calibration and viewing conditions, yes.

Since most monitors/LCDs used for browsing the web are not calibrated, it may be safer to adopt a common standard, and convert to e.g. sRGB (which is, I know, a lowest common denominator kind of average profile).

By the way, I understood that Internet Explorer on Macs is color managed. To what profile does it default for files that are "profile un-assigned"?

Bart
T
Tacit
Dec 7, 2005
In article <4396e268$0$11070$>,
"Bart van der Wolf" wrote:

By the way, I understood that Internet Explorer on Macs is color managed. To what profile does it default for files that are "profile un-assigned"?

It’s color-managed only if you enable the color management (it’s turned off by default). For images without a profile, it appears to display them without color management.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
N
nomail
Dec 7, 2005
tacit wrote:

In article <4396e268$0$11070$>,
"Bart van der Wolf" wrote:

It’s color-managed only if you enable the color management (it’s turned off by default). For images without a profile, it appears to display them without color management.

Any image needs to be opened in *some* color space. It’s impossible to open an image in no color space at all. So, even if the image were displayed without color management, the question is still valid: in what color space? I assume sRGB. By the way, on the Macintosh, your monitor profile is always used and by all applications, because ColorSync does that.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections