When converting from rgb to cmyk, full color changes to two-tone.

DH
Posted By
Diane_Harnisch
Mar 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having issues with color changes when I am saving a photo in Photoshop 7 (after converting it from RGB to CMYK) and then placing it in Pagemaker. And sometimes when just convert in Photoshop and print directly from Photoshop it changes the colors. Let me give you an example: I recently opened an RGB graphic in Photoshop. Anything I convert from RGB to CMYK changes the photo from full color (RGB) to duotone image looking (or black and white image with a purple screen) when it becomes CMYK. It is losing the entire color contents)

The other problem is, I am not seeing the problem. It comes to me from my clients. They see the color change but it looks fine from my end.

I don’t know what to do. I use a view sonic VA720 flat screen monitor and it’s pc (and windows xp).

Thanks in advance. Diane

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RL
Robert_Levine
Mar 4, 2004
You’re clients see it where? In print, on screen? I know this was partially a Pagemaker issue. If they’re looking at CMYK images on screen in Pagemaker, they’re going to look awful.

Even with color management set up perfectly (which is, IMO, nearly impossible) they’re still not going to look like they do in Photoshop.

Bob
JS
John_Slate
Mar 4, 2004
Anything I convert from RGB to CMYK changes the photo from full color (RGB) to duotone image looking (or black and white image with a purple screen) when it becomes CMYK. It is losing the entire color contents)

Sounds like a bad monitor profile?

Check Here <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@@.ef44dc8/1>
JS
John_Slate
Mar 4, 2004
Please restrict your question to a single post.

Len…?
DH
Diane_Harnisch
Mar 4, 2004
I am having issues with color changes when I am saving a photo in Photoshop 7 (after converting it from RGB to CMYK) and then placing it in Pagemaker. And sometimes when just convert in Photoshop and print directly from Photoshop it changes the colors. Let me give you an example: I recently opened an RGB graphic in Photoshop. Anything I convert from RGB to CMYK changes the photo from full color (RGB) to duotone image looking (or black and white image with a purple screen) when it becomes CMYK. It is losing the entire color contents)

I don’t know what to do. I use a view sonic VA720 flat screen monitor and it’s pc (and windows xp).

Thanks in advance. Diane
RL
Robert_Levine
Mar 4, 2004
I’m not Len, but I’ve put the topics together.

Bob
DH
Diane_Harnisch
Mar 4, 2004
So, what do I do to fix the problem? I have even tried to call Photoshop customer service but was kept on hold for over 45 minutes and no one over picked up.
RL
Robert_Levine
Mar 4, 2004
Diane,

There might not be a problem. Please refer to my earlier post where I asked about where your clients are seeing the problem.

Again, if it’s in a Pagemaker document, it’s expected behavior. Send them a PDF instead.

Bob
DH
Diane_Harnisch
Mar 4, 2004
It has nothing to do with Pagemaker. Any picture I convert in Photoshop from rgb to cmyk changes. It has nothing to do with Pagemaker because I am not using Pagemaker for this. I am just scanning a photo and converting it from rgb to cmyk and emailing that photo to someone else. To everyone else it’s purple but it looks fine on my computer. So, from what I can see…two things are happening:

(1) It’s converting improperly.
(2) I am not able to see the proper conversion.
RL
Robert_Levine
Mar 4, 2004
Or 3. There’s something wrong with the other people’s machines. How are they viewing the file? If it’s not in Photoshop, they could be getting some very poor results from an RGB only viewer.

Bob
SJ
Sandy_J
Mar 4, 2004
Diane, Have you calibrated your monitor at all? Have you at least run the Adobe Gamma wizard in the control panel?
RL
Robert_Levine
Mar 4, 2004
Just for kicks, if you have one that’s not too large, say less than 5 megs, e-mail it to me at rjlevine<AT>verizon<DOT>net. I’ll take a look.

Bob
DH
Diane_Harnisch
Mar 4, 2004
Robert, I am emailing you the photos. Thanks, Diane (P.S. I am told that View Sonic does not calibrate with the Adobe Gamma.)
RL
Robert_Levine
Mar 4, 2004
LCDs probably not. CRTs should be fine.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections