OT: going from 8mm to video to scan-PSE2??

AM
Posted By
Anna_Marie_Langley
Feb 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have in my posession several reels of 8mm film which my grandfather shot back in the early 60’s. I would like to scan and save several frames on 2 of the reels as they contain images of my younger sister (deceased in 1990). Is there any possible way to bypass transferring it to video to save the frames for scanning:and does anyone know if this reels can be transferred to DVD by an amateur, like myself, without having to take it to a professional business? I called around and asked prices and it is going to take an arm and a leg for them to transfer all the reels. Even 1 is going to be a bit steep for my purse.

Anna Marie

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KW
Ken_Wolin
Feb 29, 2004
I assume the 8mm film could be scanned using a film scanner (a high end film scanner). You might want to reconsider and transfer it to digital video. A simple method might be to project the film onto a screen, set up a digital camcorder on a tripod and shoot away. Once you’ve got it in the video camera, just connect it to your computer and upload it into whatever video editing program you have. Then all you need is a DVD burner on your (or a friend’s) computer.

Hope this helps.

—– Kenny
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 29, 2004
Single frames can be scanned with film scanner. Most only accept single frames, though, so might have to be cut and placed in slide mount. I’ve done quite a few of these by putting in glass Wess mount. But cutting the frames might be unacceptable.

Not as good as a dedicated film scanner, but could be scanned on flatbed scanner with built-in tranny adaptor like Epson 2400/3200, with sheet of glass placed over to hold flat. Would have to be cut that way.

Note that 8mm is VERY small image, and generally the single frames are pretty fuzzy, as heldheld and usually shot at effective speed of 1/15 to 1/30 sec, so you can’t expect much in way of sharp blowup. (although some high end 8mm cams actually had adjustable shutter speed "claw" allowing for up to about 1/125th sec effective shutter speed).

Mac
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 29, 2004
Mac is right.
I still remember when I was working in retail, we sometimes had it done professionally. The largest size this company prefered to deliver was 7×10 cm. (3×4"). Even these images looked rather blurred.

Leen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections