RM
Posted By
Robert_Mangone
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After scanning four slides simultaneously on Epson 3200 scanner, it seems to be required to start PSE 2 cycle all over again (i.e., warm-up, etc.) by pressing the "import" icon. Each new cycle causes the introductory "box" (which shows warm-up progressing and scanning progress of each of four slides) to move up the screen about one-fourth inch, until it has now disappeared off the monitor and apparently cannot be retrieved. Each new cycle attributes the same names to the slides scanned (i.e., untitled 1, untitled 2, etc.) so that it is necessary to keep renaming all the images after the first cycle. I assume there is a better way of using this program to scan many hundreds of slides.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 1, 2004
It’s been a while since I used my 3200, but if I were going to scan a number of slides or images at one time, I wouldn’t bother doing it through Elements. I’d just use the Epson or SilverFast software in a standalone mode and move the image files to a folder, renaming as I went. I only scan through Elements when I want to scan and edit just a couple of images at a time, but it seems to be the scanning software, not PSE that’s to blame, because my old UMAX software was much less klutzy.
TT
tim_t7
Jun 2, 2004
You give very little information (no mention of operating system, Windows/Mac/Linux?) so we can help you very little.

However at a guess…
If you import into PhotoShop you will always have the default of untitled 1/untitled 2. It is not the responsibility of the program to name the files for you. When using PhotoShop to edit an image it is good practice to save an image with a version number and so give you a history of the editing allowing you to backtrack. There is a really powerful feature in PhotoShop CS for exactly this purpose. If you restart the program then you reset the defaults. there is no issue here.
With re-opening of PhotoShop for each scan, I have not encountered or heard of this, are you sure you are following the right process? File/Import/EPSON Perfection 3200. Are you sure you have closed the scanner window before you try to access the scanner again? Or are you just pressing the button on the front of the scanner each time? Sorry but this sounds like user error, not a program error.
The EPSON Scan window creeping up the screen is an issue. Now I will guess that you are using Windows but I can’t tell if Windows 98/XP. What you need to do is close EPSON Scan and modify the screen position (in the registry). On Windows XP I would recommend running all the updates as this normally resolves the issue. Windows 98 does not have these updates but I would recommend updating the graphics card drivers if available.

wrote in message news:…
After scanning four slides simultaneously on Epson 3200 scanner, it
seems to be required to start PSE 2 cycle all over again (i.e., warm-up, etc.) by pressing the "import" icon. Each new cycle causes the introductory "box" (which shows warm-up progressing and scanning progress of each of four slides) to move up the screen about one-fourth inch, until it has now disappeared off the monitor and apparently cannot be retrieved. Each new cycle attributes the same names to the slides scanned (i.e., untitled 1, untitled 2, etc.) so that it is necessary to keep renaming all the images after the first cycle. I assume there is a better way of using this program to scan many hundreds of slides.
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 2, 2004
That, too, is what I did with my wonderful old UMAX, but now with my new Mac, I have an Epson scanner. The Epson software is not as good as the UMAX and I got some errors, actually a lot of errors. So now I scan using ELements, but I miss doing it the fast way when I have lots of things to scan. So they don’t go into a folder now, they open in Elements. That is more time consuming, as you have to save and name them right away. There must be a way to do this more quickly and have them just pop into a folder so you can go back to them when you have more time.
But with each new hardware, things change.
I do scan my slides a different way, with my Nikon camera. Much easier. Jane
RM
Robert_Mangone
Jun 3, 2004
Thank you for your suggestions. However, does anyone have a thought about how I can retrieve the PSE introductory "box" which shows the progress of warm-up and slide scanning, which has moved upward and off the monitor screen as I scanned successive cycles of slides?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 3, 2004
Delete the Elements Preference folder. With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and make a quick grab for the (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new folder will build as Elements continues to launch.

Before doing this, you could first try Window>Reset Palette Locations, but I don’t think that will work.
D
davee
Jun 3, 2004
If you Import images from the 3200 you just get plain scans. The main advantage is that you can avoid the JPEG compression and go straight to PSD if you wish.
You may like to scan your sldes using 3200 Print Image Matching then Import with the PIM plugin available here: <http://www.epson.co.uk/support/download/pim.htm>
The US site doesn’t seen to have the general purpose plugin for Windows – there are different versions according to specific Epson printers, but the Mac version is ‘all purpose’.
Scanned slides imported like this seem to have greater colour depth than plain Opens of the saved scanned image files. The imports arrive as Untitled 1, 2, 3 etc so you have to rename them.
You can do an Import then Open the original file and see them side by side. (Strangely, using the PIM plugin on images from a Nikon digital camera rather over-saturates the colours – which start off pretty bright anyway from the camera)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections