N
Posted By
nytrashman7618
Jan 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
was wondering what everyones workflow is using PSE 2. here is my typical workflow. after taking my pics and trasfering them to my computer i open PSE 2 and batch process all photos and save them as PSD files. i then burn them to a CD. then i will take any pics i am interested in printing and open them in PSE 2. first i apply a slight USM, then resize the pic for printing. then i adjust the levels and bump up the contrast slightly. i do another USM at this point. finally if i am going to post any pics on the web i add one of Jodi’s frames. i then either resize and save as JPEG for the web or send the pics to my printer. this is my typical workflow for most of my photos. here is a sample i shot the other day. i know it is not all that good but i do like the expression on the kids faces.

<http://www.pbase.com/image/25628196>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BG
Byron Gale
Jan 31, 2004
George,

What a beautiful set of smiles!

I won’t comment on the majority of your workflow. IMO, most of ours are probably different, because there are so many ways to approach the task. It is a highly subjective topic, I think.

However, I want to talk about your first step, which is converting your images to PSD before burning to CD.

The way I understand, the conversion could be eliminated, and the smaller out-of-camera images burnt to CD, to save time and space.

Converting a JPG to a PSD, and then saving the file, does not improve the image. You could simply burn your JPG files to CD for permanent storage. Then, based on your interest in individual shots, take up your workflow from that point, making the JPG-PSD conversion as you begin editing the image.

Of course, you are in no way damaging your images by converting them and then burning them onto CD. I just think you could save yourself some time and use fewer CDs without losing any quality.

Byron
J
jhjl1
Jan 31, 2004
Nice shot George. The only thing I might consider changing is doing the last USM after the final resize. Have you shot any in RAW yet? —
Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 31, 2004
ya and geeze what if some day psd format becomes obsolete ? Not likely but what if….
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 31, 2004
then again, the same could hold true for jpeg…oooh, scary thought.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 31, 2004
George love the image!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m with Byron as I don’t believe you have to save the files in anything other than how they come out of the camera. This is assuming you are doing a cut and paste and not opening them and resaving them. As soon as you do work on them and then go to save that is a different story. This is the time for you to consider saving in PSD or TIFF. Just one man’s opinion.

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 31, 2004
geeze, i never even noticed that link ! What a great picture George ! I see some feet moving ! 🙂
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 31, 2004
George, lovely image! Great expression! Nice bright colours too, exactly fitting to the bright mood of your image. It is very nice to see your progression!

I suppose somebody else made these children smile so lovely. Next time let this person be as close to you as possible or try to make tham smile yourself. Someone looking into the camera is making contact with the viewer.

About lighting the subject, turn your fill light just a tiny little lower. This way you are adding a little more shadow to your subject and it will add a little depth to your image.

I agree with Byron and Grant considering your workflow. I just only miss your burning to CD of the finished files.

Leen
N
nytrashman7618
Jan 31, 2004
yes Jodi, his feet are moving as he was very excited to be downstairs. i normally don’t bring them downstairs as there are too many things for them to get into. your frames & mattes add a certain touch to my images that i would not have been able to achive otherwise. i normally don’t shoot in RAW as the canon RAW converter is very slow. although the few times i have used it, it did save an otherwise unusable photo. seems "someone" forgot to set the WB to tungsten before taking the photos under the flood lights. guess i just get as excited as the baby when i’m downstairs. i bet my feet were moving also…….lol. thanks for all the comments on my workflow & photo.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 31, 2004
George, re the WB setting: did you have it set to "Auto"? If so, I would have thought it would handle the situation with the tungsten lights. Re the Canon RAW converter: it’s a piece of junk. If you’re going to shoot RAW, go for the Capture One converter; Ray can tell you how terrific it is!
N
nytrashman7618
Feb 1, 2004
chuck, i had the WB set to auto but the pics came out with a yellow tint on the skin. once i changed to tungsten WB all was fine. i have tried the C1 RAW converter but it is very expensive for a Mac so i just shoot in JPEG.
J
JPWhite
Feb 1, 2004
If this is one of you ‘not so good’ photos I’d love to see one your proud of, they must be stunning!!

I concur with others about saving to CD using the original camera format. I don’t *think* PSE does anything when it imports it, but why take a chance (and save some CD Space).

Personally I create a ‘negatives’ folder for each camera upload to place the originals in. I then wait until I have enough folders of originals to make saving to CD more worthwhile.

I squeak when I walk, and cannot bring myself to write just a few pics to a whole CD that can take 700MB of data.

JP
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 1, 2004
JP – Now I’ve got 10.3 on my imac I can session burn CDs so it’ s no longer a problem – before I was still burning at least once a week and more often if I had a large photosession, and I was using up a lot of not very full CD-Rs – but I figured I’d rather waste 50c-$1 than lose some photographs – most of them are worth more to me than that! I’m also backing up both originals and edited images daily on an external FW drive, but I think that that is soon going to have to become primary storage at the rate my internal drive is filling up!

Susan S.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections