RB
Posted By
Robert Blackwell
Aug 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I successfully installed the program, and when I click the icon to run it, the program window opens up, and the initialization process begins.

But it always stops at the point where it says Measuring Memory… and then the error message Unable to initialize Photoshop Elements because of a program error. appears, and the program closes when I click Ok in the message box.

Any idea what could be causing this? I’m using Windows NT 4.0, with Service Pack 6, on an HP Vectra with a 1GHz Pentium III and 256MB of RAM.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RC
Richard Coencas
Aug 26, 2003
Elements 2.0 is not compatible with NT4. Supported OSes are W98, W98SE, ME, W2K, WXP, MacOS0 and MacOSX.

Rich

<http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopel/systemreqs.html>
RB
Robert_Blackwell
Jan 11, 2004
hey, what’s the big idea stealing my name??
πŸ™‚
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 12, 2004
Now. This is really weird. And you actually trademarked your name? You should have chosen a name like Zbigniew Brzezinski if you really wanted to be original.

And isn’t it enough of a problem that we already have more Barbara’s on this forum than you can shake a stick at.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 12, 2004
so what’s the key short for the ‘tm’ ?
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 12, 2004
Hmmmm,

I thought I posted this but….it’s alt+0153. Β™
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 12, 2004
Dick, sorry, I remember now that you did post some…i didn’t copy it…will you ever forgive me ? Thanks.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 12, 2004
No problem, Jodi. I didn’t mean that I had done it a long time ageo and you forgot!

I thought I had posted that message right after you asked and then I didn’t see it.

Ah, the vagueries of the English language……..

πŸ™‚
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 12, 2004
ah….OK….can you post them again ? πŸ˜‰

Aren’t I a pain ?

I promise I’ll copy them this time. So far all i know is Β© and Β™.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 12, 2004
Jodi

Some times the simboles change with the font. But you are using window so do this.

Start
Programs
Accessories
System Tools
Character Map

and you will have all of them for what ever font you choose.

g.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 12, 2004
Option 2 for Mac

MarkΒ™
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 12, 2004
Grant, yup, thanks..I know about those but i was being lazy….which is another reason i hate winter…i feel like I should be hibernating. I’m always tired this time of year…hate it I tell you !
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 12, 2004
Oh do I have to come all away down from Canada to southern Upper New York State just to open you files? … again

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 12, 2004
again ? Watchoo talkin’ ’bout Willis ? πŸ˜‰
MR
Michael_Rowell
Jan 28, 2004
I have the same problem and I am using W2K……….does anyone know the answer?

Michael Β™
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 28, 2004
Michael,

You mean the launch stops when the screen says it is measuring memory? Or at some other point?
MR
Michael_Rowell
Feb 2, 2004
Nancy,

Yes the splash screen stops and then the error message comes up. Clicking ok then closes the program.
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 2, 2004
Michael,

I think those messages about memory are sometimes quite generic and might not be the true cause of the problem. But, did you install with any antivirus software disabled? This program requires contiguous disk space, have you kept up with your computer "housekeeping" such as clearing temp files and defragging? Maybe you could give some details like free HD space and amount of RAM.

Nancy
MR
Michael_Rowell
Feb 3, 2004
Nancy

The program was installed in safe mode with AV disabled LAN disconnected after defraging both c: & d:, temp folder also deleted, 256M of Ram and 1G free on c: & 3G free on d:. I am not trying to run PE over a LAN although the pc is my work one and connected to the largest LAN in Europe!
The problem is also occuring on another pc of the same type using another genuine copy of PE, however it has been installed on yet another pc of the same type and works fine.
I’m using W2K and I notice my ‘Application Data’ folder containing PE2 is on my d: while PE2 is in program files on c:
Even with the LAN dis PE will not run.

Michael
RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 3, 2004
Michael,
Could be a hardware conflict.
Rich
MR
Michael_Rowell
Feb 3, 2004
Really Rich!

Michael
SK
Steve_Kerman
Jul 28, 2004
I have just installed Elements 2 on an XP Pro machine and am asked to insert the program disc before it will load.
I have never had to do this before.
Cany idea what I did wrong in my installation?

Steve

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections