D
Posted By
domihode
May 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m making a html based cd rom that will run through web browesers. I have links to various pdf documents that I want to open when clicking the link in the web browser. Everything works fine in Explorer and on PC, but in Safari Mac, the only .pdf documents that open are the text documents that are saved through quark. I have multiple magazine articles that are scanned into photoshop and made into pdf files in acrobat 6.0 proffessional edition, and they won’t open. All that happens is that the mac opens the folder that has the pdf file inside and selects it. It doesn’t open. I tried resaving the file in various ways, in the acrobat preview and in the acrobat 6.0. Nothing works. If I replace the article with a quark saved text file it works fine, so there’s definitely nothing wrong with the html script. If I make the cd into a website and put it up online it works fine in every browser, but I need it to be able to run of a cd.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
Perhaps this is something to do with the way that you have setup your preference files?

In your Safari prefs.: check Advanced/Enable Plug-ins.
And in your Acrobat prefs./Web capture/Open web links: In Browser.
D
domihode
May 27, 2004
Thanks Ann, I checked it and that’s the settings that I already have.

I tried opening on 2 different macs and the same problem occurs. As I said earlier the text documents that are exported from Quark as pdf work fine. If I open these text documents in acrobat and resave them in acrobat, they no longer work. I’m new to acrobat so I might not save it correctly? I’m either doing save as or going directly to "reduce file size…". I also tried resaving from Acrobat reader without any luck.

How is acrobat saving files as pdf different from Quark?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 27, 2004
The fact that it runs from the web but not from the CD would seem to suggest a problem with the way that your links are working.

I suspect that you need to check that your URLs are pointing to the site folder on the CD.

You may also need to set your Mac to always open PDFs in Acrobat (rather than in the Mac’s own "Preview" program).
D
domihode
May 27, 2004
Thanks, but the problem is not with the links. If I replace the acrobat pdfs with the quark pdfs they work fine. Only the acrobat saved pdfs won’t open. If they’re saved in Quark they do open. If I resave the quark pdfs in acrobat, they no longer open. They don’t open in Acrobat nor do they open in preview. I tried both ways.

Unfortunately I have hundreds of acrobat documents that I need to get working. Importing them all into quark, lay them out and resaving them would take forever since they’re multiple pages. Is there a way to set acrobat to save files exactly the way Quark saves them? Is there a setting I’m overlooking.
R
Ram
May 27, 2004
Domihode,

Only the acrobat saved pdfs won’t open.

Have you tried posting your question in the Acrobat forum?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 28, 2004
Domihode:

You are right!

Safari cannot automatically open linked PDFs from the Desktop (and assumedly not from a CD either) that have been made (by any method) in InDesign CS or Acrobat 6 Pro.
However, Safari can do this if the files are loaded onto a website server.

Both Netscape and Internet Explorer can automatically open the same PDF in Acrobat whether the files are stored on the Desktop or on a website.

There definitely is a problem here.

[I have also posted this message in your thread in the Acrobat Forum.]

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections