How to join to open path anchor points (like in Illustrator) without adding another line between the

TW
Posted By
Tom_Walace
Feb 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Illustrator you can snap one endpoint on top of another, then surround them both with the direct selection tool and go to object/path/join … which will then let you join the two endpoints as one.

I want to join two vector endpoints in Photoshop CS in the same way, but can’t figure out how?! I DO NOT want to have to use a pen tool and add another line between the two, as I simply want the two endpoints to join as one.

Can this be done? If so, how? Thanks as always for your willingness to share your knowledge. Have a great day.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

W
wes
Feb 23, 2004
The only way I know how to do it is to use the pen tool. Hold down the Ctrl key and select one of the ends and with the Ctrl key still held down, drag it over the other end point. This should close the path. Not as easy as in Illustrator but not much more difficult either, IMO.

wrote in message
In Illustrator you can snap one endpoint on top of another, then surround
them both with the direct selection tool and go to object/path/join … which will then let you join the two endpoints as one.
I want to join two vector endpoints in Photoshop CS in the same way, but
can’t figure out how?! I DO NOT want to have to use a pen tool and add another line between the two, as I simply want the two endpoints to join as one.
Can this be done? If so, how? Thanks as always for your willingness to
share your knowledge. Have a great day.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Feb 24, 2004
Can’t be done without adding the line between the two endpoints. Export path to Illy if this is what you want to do to your endpoints and then bring it back into Pshop. Pen is not as powerful in Pshop as it is in Illy!
TW
Tom_Walace
Feb 24, 2004
Aaaaaargh! Thanks, but this is rediculous. I can’t believe they don’t allow even that simple function when you work with filling shapes all the time.

Thanks for the input though Christine.
IM
Iain_McFadzen
Feb 24, 2004
Ahh but if they fixed the pen tool in PS, there might be nothing forcing you to buy AI, and we couldn’t have that.
V
viol8ion
Feb 24, 2004
Aaaaaargh! Thanks, but this is rediculous. I can’t believe they don’t allow even that simple function when you work with filling shapes all the time.

Geez, they gave you text on a path, now you want more! 🙂
TW
Tom_Walace
Feb 24, 2004
Hehehe…yeah,maybe some day they’ll shock me and stick an enveloping/warping function into the options.
BC
Brian_Cushing
Feb 25, 2004
Tom

Unless I misunderstand what you want to do:
Overlap end points of path–use direct selection tool as necessary Go to paths palette: Load path as selection.
Then reverse by slecting Make work path from selection
It is now a closed path.
TW
Tom_Walace
Feb 25, 2004
Brian, thanks, I’ll give that a try. Still scratching my head wondering why they wouldn’t allow you to simply "join" two open endpoints to complete a path like in Illustrator….

Seems like if they are going to have a vector path drawing option at all, they would put in the basics.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll give it a shot in the mornin’.
DM
Don_McCahill
Feb 25, 2004
Re: wondering why they wouldn’t allow you to simply "join" two open endpoints to complete a path like in Illustrator

Probably a case of code bloat and needing more menus then space allows. If you added all the functions of Illustrator into Photoshop, you would have a monster of a program (well, more of a monster).

I wonder if all the people who never use the pen would be happy if PS got bigger and slower so a few people could do everything three ways.
IM
Iain_McFadzen
Feb 25, 2004
Expecting Adobe App A to behave consistently with Adobe App B when the tools in question (the pen tool) are so similar is not, by any means, unreasonable.

Besides which, Adobe themselves obviously aren’t overly worried about unnecessary bloat, otherwise they wouldn’t have added that currency- recognition/ anticounterfit stuff.
TW
Tom_Walace
Feb 25, 2004
How can anyone work in Illustrator WITHOUT the pen/path manipulation tools? I don’t see how it could be done. How can you accurately define selections without it? The lasso and magic wands certainly can’t do the job.

Maybe my thinking is too tunnel-vision, but I just can’t imagine life in Photoshop without the pen/path manipulation tools…..you gotta be able to accurately define elements for selections.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections