RS
Posted By
Rene_Smith
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just loaded PSCS and am having problems with the "Save File as…" feature. I try saving a file as a jpeg and it will save it as a tiff. I try saving as a tiff and get a PSD file or jpeg. When I try to open the new saved file, some of the saved files give me this error "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop Document". Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PA
Peter Aitken
May 12, 2004
wrote in message
I just loaded PSCS and am having problems with the "Save File as…"
feature. I try saving a file as a jpeg and it will save it as a tiff. I try saving as a tiff and get a PSD file or jpeg. When I try to open the new saved file, some of the saved files give me this error "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop Document". Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

This may seem obvious, but you are *not* specifying the type simply by typing in the extension – right? You have to specify the type from the drop-down list.

Peter Aitken

Remove the crap from my email address before using.
J
Jim
May 12, 2004
Did you enter the extension in the save as dialog?
Jim
wrote in message
I just loaded PSCS and am having problems with the "Save File as…"
feature. I try saving a file as a jpeg and it will save it as a tiff. I try saving as a tiff and get a PSD file or jpeg. When I try to open the new saved file, some of the saved files give me this error "Could not complete your request because it is not a valid Photoshop Document". Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 13, 2004
Photoshop can only save the file as the type you tell it to save as.

Are you confusing file extensions with actual types (as selected from the menu in the save dialog)? You can put any extension on files you want – but that won’t change the type.
RS
Rene_Smith
May 13, 2004
My error. I was considering the different file extensions to be different types of files. I will try to reword it.

When I edit a picture and try to save changes I select the "Save As…" and select what ("file extension"?) I want it saved as ie jpeg or tiff.

A large percentage of the time it is saving the edited file with a different extension than chosen by me. I will choose jpeg and go through the options of quality level etc. and yet when I save and go to view the new saved file it is a tiff file and is corrupted so that photoshop will not even open it but gives me an error message as stated above.

The last time I tried saving a picture as a tiff with layers it saved it as a PSD file, but I got the same error message when trying to open it saying it was not a Photoshop file. Does this clarify anything?

At least I am saving a copy so I still have my original file, but it is tedious and time consuming to spend 20 minutes resaving the same file until I get a proper uncorrupted one. I am rather dissapointed that Adobe doesn’t offer at least 30 days of free support so you can at least get the program up and running. I’m still having to use Elements at this point. Sure hope someone has the answer.
CW
Colin_Walls
May 13, 2004
Try this:

Save a file X as JPEG
Verify that the filename is X.TIF [instead of the expected X.JPG] Rename the file to be X.JPG
Try opening it

What I am wondering is whether PS is simply adding the wrong extension, having used the format that you requested.
LM
Loren_Montgomery
May 13, 2004
I Have the same problem as described above and I an very disappointed with adobe too.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 14, 2004
When you select the file TYPE to save, Photoshop changes the extension to match that type. You never select a file extension, and you shouldn’t have to type one.
RS
Rene_Smith
May 18, 2004
I just thought I’d share what has solved this problem for me. First of all I will explain what I had been doing to begin with. I begin with a picture, lets name it smith101.jpeg. That is straight off my CF card. I edit it and "Save As…" smith101.tiff with layers in my working file and "Save As…" smith101.jpeg in my Print File. When I go to open the files they are sometimes corrupt and PS says they are not the right kind of file.

Solution: I found that by altering the name of the file when using the "Save As…" command, even if by only adding a space to it, ie. smith101 .jpeg, it saves the files perfectly with out any problem.

It still seems a little weird to me, but has worked so far. And just for everyone’s information, I talked to a tech support at adobe and they said that this problem fell under faulty software issues and that there was not charge for support. The technician had me to delete the preferences file which restored PS to its default preferences and was going to have me call back and try some other things, but in the interim I figured out this solution. Maybe it will help someone else.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 18, 2004
You’re not actually typing .jpeg and .tiff in filename are you? (should be .jpg and .tif)

Mac
RS
Rene_Smith
May 19, 2004
No, not typing in anything. My error in recalling the correct spelling.
DZ
Dan_Zimmerman
May 19, 2004
If you have a period in the file name PSCS will consider anything after the period as the extension. Example, I used to save everything using the decimal system ie 2.4.3 but when I upgraded to PSCS and saved these files they became unopenable. If I then renamed the file and added the proper extension when it wasnt opened in PS (ie 2.4.3.tif) then PS could open it as the tiff file it was.

Now I just use commas instead of periods and dont have any problems.

Not sure if this is the problem anyone else is having but thought Id through it out just in case
DM
dave_milbut
May 19, 2004
if you know the type of the file, even if it’s misnamed, you can open it from within photoshop by selecting File> Open As and selecting the filetype from the dropdown. for instance if you have myfile.tif, but you know it’s a jpg, you can use "open as" and select jpg, then open myfile.tif as a jpg.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections