MF
Posted By
Mike_F_White
May 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been scanning photos with Epson Perfection 3200, using Silverfast plugin in PE2. I then save the photos as TIFF files. I need to add some info to some of the picture files and attempt to do so by right clicking the file name, selecting Properties, choose the Summary tab and type in the info in the comments section. When I try to save the updated Summary I get the following message: "Changes to Summary Properties could not be saved, access has been denied. The file may be marked read only or may be in use by another application." My computer is a single user machine, I am the administrator. The file attribute does not have the "Ready-only" box checked. No other program is even running, let alone using the picture file. Other photos that I have downloaded from the internet or from my digital camera do not have this problem and am able to add summary info.
How do I correct how PE2 saves my photos so I can add info to the file comments later and how do I alter my existing photo files so they will be able to take comments also?
Any help will be appreciated.
Mike

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Mac_McDougald
May 10, 2004
You have TIFF files associated with PE2?
XP?
Look under properties for the file in Win Explorer or My Puter by right clicking, and see if "photoshop" thumbnail generation is an option.

If so, uncheck it.
Also, a slight longshot, find psicon.dll and rename it to psicon.old, restart system.

Mac
MF
Mike_F_White
May 10, 2004
Mac,
Sorry I wasn’t clear before, I have 1.6mhz P4 w/512meg of memory running Windows XP. I have been saving my photofiles created in PE2 as TIFF. I checked the properties of the picture file and there is no option for thumbnail generation. I also renamed the psicon.dll file, restarted the system. I tried to add comments to an existing file and scanned in a new photo to see if I could add comments to it also. Neither was successful.
Reading over other messages in the forum it sounds like PE2 copy protects original photo files to guard against accidental destruction of an original image. If I turn that action off would that permit property updates? If so how do I do it?
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 10, 2004
No, PE2 does’t "copy protect".

This is an ongoing problem with both PE2 and Photoshop 7 and PS. But beyond what I suggested, I don’t know the fix.

It’s is usually manifested with an inability to save or save as, with the "file is in use" notice. But your problem is definitely related, AFAIK.

The "unable to save" error seems to manifest mostly on XP systems, but sometimes on 9x. Your prob is XP specific of course, as 9x doesn’t allow the annotation.

Wish I had an answer for you.

Can you open the file in PE2 and add/edit annotation there?

Mac
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 10, 2004
I meant to add:

Trying to add file info directly from Windows XP. Does XP claim to use same standard for info as Adobe?

From Photoshop 7 Help (which has a little more info than the PE2 Help re File Info):

"Adobe Photoshop supports the information standard developed by the Newspaper Association of America (NAA) and the International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) to identify transmitted text and images. This standard includes entries for captions, keywords, categories, credits, and origins."

I’m wondering if maybe in TIFF format gets "locked" somehow in the header info, where this data is stored. And perhaps XP simply can’t write there anymore if it is using a different standard or somesuch. Perhaps the XP error message is actually not precisely correct regarding the "in use", but is generated by default.

Mac
MF
Mike_F_White
May 10, 2004
Mac,
When I open a file in PE2 I can then select "file info…" for that particular file under the menu selection "file". I can then type in info in a text box and it will save. unfortunately that info will not appear in the properties box when the file is selected in File Manager, only when the file is opened by PE2. That does not help me b/c I share photos w/family members on line and on CD archives and I need to be able to have the info easily retrieved by others who will not have PE2 on their computer.
BTW, I was looking thru some PE2 help info a few minutes ago and found that I cannot open my file browser in PE2. I checked the help files and tried all the methods described and I get no response. I wonder if they are related?
I appreciate your help.
Mike
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 10, 2004
I’m guessing your Browser if off the screen somewhere?
Do you get an error message?
Under Window menu is File Browser checked?

If it really is just not opening at all, could be related, but if it is checked as per above, try Window/Reset Palette Locations.

Mac
MF
Mike_F_White
May 10, 2004
Mac,
I followed your dirctions re Reset Paleete Locations and got back my browser. Thank you. I tested the PE2 data boxes, "author" "caption" "title" etc, and after closing and checking properties in XP file manager none of these items appeared. I then reread your message and decided to convert a photo file to JPG and then try to add to properties and I was able to do so. The problem must lie with the TIFF format. So it looks like the problem might be solved but I do have concerns about the degredation of the file.
These photos are family pictures some dating back 100 yrs that I have scanned to create a permanent archive for the extended family. I chose TIFF b/c opening and closing the file would not degrade the picture. My concern is that thru lack of understanding others will degrade pictures that are irreplaceable or am I misunderstanding JPG vs TIFF? Any thoughts?
BTW, you have been very helpful, thank you.
Mike
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 10, 2004
Glad it helped some, Mike.

But JPEG is the format you should worry about.
Every time it is opened, changed, and resaved, it is degrading image quality.

I’m sorry the TIFF won’t seem to behave as per the XP annotations, and I’m not sure what’s up there, but TIFF format is "safe" as far as image degradation is concerned.

Trick of course is to have both, the TIFF for archiving and JPEGs for onscreen viewing.

Mac
MF
Mike_F_White
May 10, 2004
Mac,
Thanks for your help. I’m not sure what I will do next but at least I have some options now. I appreciate your taking the time to help.
Mike
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 10, 2004
My pleasure…thanks for the thanks…

I’m curious enough to do a Google about XP file property annotations when I get some time. My guess is, like always, MS isn’t using an accepted standard for them.

Sort of like MS Java.
It’s just like industry standard Sun Java. Only different.

Mac
JH
Jim_Hess
May 10, 2004
I don’t think the Photoshop Elements filed properties are the same as the properties used by Windows Explorer. I don’t believe that was ever in the plan. The Elements properties seem to be provided to enable you to store additional information related to your photograph and to your work within Elements.
BH
Beth_Haney
May 10, 2004
I agree with Jim. 🙂
MI
magic_is_afoot
May 10, 2004
I have had the same problem and error message with an MP3 file. It was a file I had downloaded so I don’t know how it was created. I was able to edit the properties on some of these files, but not on one in particular. I guess this doesn’t help get around the problem, but it seems not to be something specific to TIFF files.
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
May 13, 2004
How about saving as .psd ({photoshop) instead of TIFF?
L
Lenswork1
Jan 16, 2005
Did you ever find a solution to this problem ? I’m having the same problem, but only with PSE 2 and PS CS, and only with tif format. Same problem does not occur with PSE 1 for some reason.

Another workaround is to save the file as a .psd, then enter your info under the ‘summary’ tab of the psd file properties – this works for me, and info you add shows up in windows explorer, file manger, etc.

One suspicious area is that when I first installed PSE 2 I didn’t have any problem editing the file properties. Then, one day, I downloaded SP 2 for my Win XP home edition, and loa and behold, the problem with tif files in PSE 2 started. Don’t know if this coincidence or what, but I don’t want to uninstall SP 2 to find out – could make matters worse. Len
PD
postman delivers
Jan 17, 2005
"Lenswork1" wrote in message
Did you ever find a solution to this problem ? I’m having the same problem, but only with PSE 2 and PS CS, and only with tif format. Same problem does not occur with PSE 1 for some reason.
Sis you see the post – Thank you Joe M. for this lovely – Jan – 11 – 2005 Have a look at this program for editing file properties – written expressly for this problem in many graphic programs –

http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

Another workaround is to save the file as a .psd, then enter your info under the ‘summary’ tab of the psd file properties – this works for me, and info you add shows up in windows explorer, file manger, etc.

One should always save files in .psd format, never store them in jpg or jpeg.in my opinion.

One suspicious area is that when I first installed PSE 2 I didn’t have any problem editing the file properties. Then, one day, I downloaded SP 2 for my Win XP home edition, and loa and behold, the problem with tif files in PSE 2 started. Don’t know if this coincidence or what, but I don’t want to uninstall SP 2 to find out – could make matters worse. Len

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections