Posted By
Chris_Billstain
Aug 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Is it possible to, after installing, change which file types are opened with photoshop, from within photoshop?

Basically, XP won’t let me changed an unrelated file-type oriented thing because it considers Photoshop to be the "default" association for BMP files. If I can tell it not to associate BMPs with Photoshop, it might consider the other program I use for BMPs (Irfanview) as the ‘default’ one – thus letting me modifiy the BMP filetype.

Hope I’M making sense,

Chris

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Aug 4, 2004
right click a bmp in explorer. select "open with", select the ifranview from the list (or browse to it if it’s not in the list), check the "always open this file type with this application" checkbox. hit ok.
CB
Chris_Billstain
Aug 4, 2004
I can’t do ‘open with’, because its already a registered file. Can’t delete the BMP association, cuz the button is greyed out.

It seems that Photoshop associated itself with all the image files, and then when I changed some of them to irfanview, the "advanced" button becomes a "restore" button. I’d like to remove Photoshop’s claim from those files, so that a BMP opened with Irfan will have "advanced" settings under File Types.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 4, 2004
are you an administrator on the machine?
CB
Chris_Billstain
Aug 4, 2004
Yes, I’m the only user on this one.

I’ve not yet activated Photoshop, perhaps the only thing to do is reinstall and when it asks what to do with associations, change it then? Seems pretty dumb that there’s no option to do that once the program is installed…
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 4, 2004
that doesn’t always mean you’re an administrator… you can check in the user applet in the control panel.

anywho…
try going into windows explorer> tools> folder options> file types. scroll to bmp. hit the default button. or hit advanced and change it from there.
CB
Chris_Billstain
Aug 4, 2004
I’m the administrator.

try going into windows explorer> tools> folder options> file types. scroll
to bmp. hit the default button. or hit advanced and change it from there. <<

Default is photoshop, and when its like that, I can click the Advanced button to do what I want – change the icon.

But I want BMPs to load with Irfanview. I can’t change the icon when Irfanview is the program to load BMPs, because that Advanced button becomes Restore – restore back to BMPs being loaded by Photoshop.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 4, 2004
I think you’re missing something. Open with should ALWAYS be available…
CB
Chris_Billstain
Aug 4, 2004
I can take a screenshot if you/’d like, but I only have Open With when there’s an unregistered file type.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 4, 2004
I don’t know what else to say, i’ve got "open with" on every file in windows explorer, registered or not.

did you have access to the "change" button when you get into the file types from tools> folder options? you should have that whether the button says "Advanced" or "Restore".

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections