AR
Posted By
Ann_Rudawski
Jan 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I change the default file name structure to not add hyphens and truncate the name when saving for web? For example, "my really super duper long file name.gif" will be changed to "my-really-super-duper-long-fil.gif"

I would like the file name to remain as entered. There are no compatibility issues with long file names or spaces in the name.

I had this changed on my old computer, but for the life of me cannot find it after I installed it on a new computer.

Photoshop CS2 on Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LenHewitt
Jan 16, 2007
You need to uncheck the Mac and Unix file compatibility boxes in your S4W preferences – but remember, spaces are illegal in URLs…
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 16, 2007
but remember, spaces are illegal in URLs…

A URL can include a file name and that can have spaces these days (in most cases).
DR
Danny_Raphael
Jan 16, 2007
Cbeck out this excellent writeup by Daryl Pritchard on the subject. It includes instructions on how to change SFW’s default settings so one does not have to make the changes noted above on each trip through the dialog:

<http://jazzdiver.com/photoshop/no_hyphen.htm>

Does this help?

~Danny~
AR
Ann_Rudawski
Jan 16, 2007
Len, Danny: Thanks, that’s just what I was looking for. I knew I came across it accidentally about a year ago, but couldn’t remember where the function was, and I couldn’t find it in the online help either.

About file names in URLs: That’s not a problem in my case. Most of the images I’m creating are screen captures that go in user manuals.
L
LenHewitt
Jan 16, 2007
John,

A URL can include a file name and that can have spaces these days<<

The browser will kindly replace spaces with %20, but it has to do that *because* spaces are illegal in URLs
LH
Lynn_Huetter
Jan 18, 2007
Can this change be made permanent? I was able to do it on another version of Windows, but not XP. Thanks!
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 18, 2007
Once you have used the setting to save a file it will stick.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jan 19, 2007
Most of the images I’m creating are screen captures that go in user manuals.

That being the case, there is no need to use "Save for Web" in the first place. You would be better off saving the screen grabs in a lossless format such as TIFF or PSD to avoid further degrading an already low resolution file through Jpeg compression.
LH
Lynn_Huetter
Jan 19, 2007
Thanks for your help. However, I have to change the settings every time I save a pic. I was hoping there was a more "permanent" way to change the setting.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 19, 2007
Try resetting the Save for Web preferences.

LenHewitt, "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" #1, 23 Jun 2004 12:05 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

Scroll down a bit.
LH
Lynn_Huetter
Jan 19, 2007
I don’t seem to have – or at least can’t find – the Save For Web preference file.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 19, 2007
Have you unhidden the hidden files in Windows?
LH
Lynn_Huetter
Jan 19, 2007
Yes I have. But now I seem to have another problem. When I click Save For Web, I get the following message: Could not complete this operation because an assertion has failed.

I think I’ve opened an ugly can of worms!
AR
Ann_Rudawski
Jan 22, 2007
@ chrisjbirchall
Most of the images I’m creating are screen captures that go in user manuals.

That being the case, there is no need to use "Save for Web" in the first place. You would be better off saving the screen grabs in a lossless format such as TIFF or PSD to avoid further degrading an already low resolution file through Jpeg compression.

—-
I can get away with GIFs in this case; otherwise, I agree with you.

The screen captures I have are BMP files of a custom UI that is very simple. I save them as 64 color GIF images and there is no loss of quality. And since there are more than 400 screen captures, I need to cut down on file size as much as possible. The manuals are only distributed in PDF format and the capts are perfectly clear on screen or if printed from a standard office printer.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections