M
Posted By
MrSatoV
Dec 17, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m just sick of it, really. Scan via WIA and you get no option to save/use any other file format than BMP. So you have to save as whatever from PS and then delete the BMP.

Is there any way to change this asinine behavior? I mean, BMP? Who wants BMP? Shouldn’t a default always be JPG for anything, other than PSD these days? I’m sure this is a Windows thing, not Adobe, but still…. How about some way to scan from a super popular Epson scan/ printer directly without PS CS f’n 5? LOL

PS I’m not really as upset as I make it sound. It’s just for entertainment value. 😉

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
bdchmura
Dec 18, 2011
yeah, CS5 is kind of goofy for scanning.

You have to go to Adobe and D/L something called
"PSCS5_OptionalPlugins_Win32"(assuming your OS is 32-bit) and extract a file called "Twain_32.8BA" from the folder OptionalPlugins/Win_32.

Copy/Paste this file into the Program Files/Adobe/Plugins/Import-Export folder.
Now you are good to go to scan from the Photoshop File menu using your installed scanner.

HTH

Gary W. Chmura

On 17/12/2011 5:34 PM, MrSatoV wrote:
I’m just sick of it, really. Scan via WIA and you get no option to save/use any other file format than BMP. So you have to save as whatever from PS and then delete the BMP.

Is there any way to change this asinine behavior? I mean, BMP? Who wants BMP? Shouldn’t a default always be JPG for anything, other than PSD these days? I’m sure this is a Windows thing, not Adobe, but still…. How about some way to scan from a super popular Epson scan/ printer directly without PS CS f’n 5? LOL

PS I’m not really as upset as I make it sound. It’s just for entertainment value. 😉
J
Joel
Dec 19, 2011
MrSatoV wrote:

I don’t often have good feeling to communicate a sick person. But I can tell you this I have started using scanner since 70’s and I have never used BMP format. Except few times the browser acted up saving all graphic format to BMP and I had to delete them.

I have used few Epson scanners, and few All-In-One printers with scanner, and I don’t have the problem you have. Instead of answering the question you don’t ask, I think it’s better to give you the general information.

1. You can scan Directly from any software like the software comes with the scanner, graphic program like Photosotop, or word processor like MS Word or WordPerfect etc.

2. In order to scan directly from graphic or word processor etc. you will need to understand and use TWAIN which is the UNVERSAL driver was first instroduced to puplic in either mid 80’s or early 90’s (can’t remember).

3. Most if not all scanner should give you the option to save to JPG, and that’s your part to figure out how to find it from the software you use.

In the message you mention SAVE AS which does mean something and also doesn’t mean much or anything. Because in some case (not all) the SAVE AS means to save to any NAME different than the default or current.

SAVE AS in some case may have nothing to do with the format. Or FORMAT could be another option, other requirement.

Since you are in Photoshop group, I assume you are Photoshop user. Now you check with Photoshop SAVE AS (Ctrl+Shift+S) to see what I mean.
A
Alex
Dec 21, 2011
gar wrote:
yeah, CS5 is kind of goofy for scanning.

You have to go to Adobe and D/L something called
"PSCS5_OptionalPlugins_Win32"(assuming your OS is 32-bit) and extract a file called "Twain_32.8BA" from the folder OptionalPlugins/Win_32.
Copy/Paste this file into the Program Files/Adobe/Plugins/Import-Export folder.
Now you are good to go to scan from the Photoshop File menu using your installed scanner.

The actual filename is PSCS5OptionalPlugins_Win_en_US.zip, at least for the English version of PSCS5. I got it and it works. Thanks Gary! Greetings, Alex

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections