PSE6: Saving changes file format

Posted By
Jun 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi!

When I choose file/save after changing an original JPEG file from my camera (requiring creation of a layer (is this the term the English version uses?)), then PSE wants to save as PSD. As soon as I change back to JPEG it forces to save "as copy" thereby changing the file name.

I simply want save to save in the give format with the given file name. I would use save as otherwise. Any setting to achieve this?

pi

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Charley
Jun 15, 2008
"Boris ‘pi’ Piwinger" wrote in message
Hi!

When I choose file/save after changing an original JPEG file from my camera (requiring creation of a layer (is this the term the English version uses?)), then PSE wants to save as PSD. As soon as I change back to JPEG it forces to save "as copy" thereby changing the file name.

I simply want save to save in the give format with the given file name. I would use save as otherwise. Any setting to achieve this?

pi

Saving a Jpeg file on itself several times will result in a trashed photo because the jpeg format is lossy, meaning each time you save it more of the photo data is lost. You should always save your modified photo in a non-lossy format, preferrably one that saves layers like Psd as you may want to go back and modify it, change it’s size, etc. again at a later time. Then, if you really want a Jpeg copy of it for e-mailing, etc. you can make one from the Psd and still have the Psd "original" for future needs. Photoshop and Elements is designed to prevent you from accidentally saving your image as a Jpeg on top of itself for this reason.

Charley

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections