DY
Posted By
Debbi_Young
May 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m hoping someone out there is able to offer a suggestion. I use iPhoto to manage photos, and Elements to edit. I have a new Mac (just installed got it yesterday), and was able to transfer all files from my old one to the new one without any glitches. Tiger installed perfectly and has been running fine.

I downloaded about 30 photos today, and they are in the iPhoto library, but no new dated folder was automatically created to store them. When I try to use Elements to open a photo, it’s always set to "Raw" (my camera won’t shoot raw and I can’t figure out how to change that setting), and even when I change the setting to search for .jpg files, Elements doesn’t see anything to open.

I don’t know if this is an iPhoto problem, an Elements problem or a Tiger problem. Oh, for the days when I worked full-time and could walk down the hall to tech support.

Any ideas?

Debbi

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JH
Joe Henry1000
May 18, 2005
Debbi,

How are you trying to open the photos? Sounds like you’re trying to open them from within PSE’s Browser?

I have iPhoto set to open images in PSE after I double click. Have you tried using that method?

Joe
DY
Debbi_Young
May 18, 2005
I reset iPhoto to open PSE when I click on a photo, but I still couldn’t figure out why there was no dated folder in iPhoto. I’ve been using iPhoto for a couple years now, and that’s always how I’d found things. I don’t know if I’m remembering wrong, or if iPhoto has changed, but the most recent photo folder is dated the day the photos were *taken* — not the day they were downloaded (which is what I was looking for). I feel kind of stupid, but the problem was clearly Operator Error. <g> Thanks for your thoughts.

As an aside, I really like the editing tools in iPhoto 5 — great for exposure/lighting/levels adjustments.

Debbi
LM
Lou_M
May 18, 2005
Hi, Debbi.

iPhoto 5 no longer uses physical folders to store pictures. So you won’t see them in the Finder anymore.

As Joe said, always use iPhoto to open the photos in PS Elements. You should never use the Finder to look inside the iPhoto folder–it’s possible you could move, change, or delete a file that would render your iPhoto library unreadable. You probably want to avoid that. 🙂
DY
Debbi_Young
May 18, 2005
Thank you, Lou, for the explanation. Seems counterintuitive to open the program I want to use from the file, instead of the other way around. But then I’m just a user, not a programmer. <g>
LM
Lou_M
May 18, 2005
Seems counterintuitive to open the program I want to use from the file, instead of the other way around.

Actually, the "iPhoto experience" prevents you from having to know where the file is–that’s the whole point of iPhoto. It takes care of file management behind the scenes.

You find a photo in iPhoto not by knowing its filename and folder, but rather by using keywords, dates, titles, or albums. Think of it as a physical photo album with awesome search capability. 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections