Posted By
hirudroid
Mar 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hola,

I just started using mac (Powerbook G4) after 10 years of working with PC… so this might be a nubie question. Bare with me. I did a quick google search, but got no answers.

I use to work in standard screen mode and after switching to mac I’ve been troubled with this "lack of background". Only way to get background behind canvas is to use full screen mode. Otherwise other application windows are shown and that makes me mad. Dragging image to full screen with standard mode is ok (have to do it with every picture – hate it) but it lasts only if I do not zoom (and I zoom a lot). In PC world there is no such a problem / software bug.

Please help me. I use to work very fast and this kind of problems are slowing me down… Thanks.

.. Hiru .

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
edjh
Mar 29, 2005
Hirudroid wrote:
Hola,

I just started using mac (Powerbook G4) after 10 years of working with PC… so this might be a nubie question. Bare with me. I did a quick google search, but got no answers.

I use to work in standard screen mode and after switching to mac I’ve been troubled with this "lack of background". Only way to get background behind canvas is to use full screen mode. Otherwise other application windows are shown and that makes me mad. Dragging image to full screen with standard mode is ok (have to do it with every picture – hate it) but it lasts only if I do not zoom (and I zoom a lot). In PC world there is no such a problem / software bug.

Please help me. I use to work very fast and this kind of problems are slowing me down… Thanks.

. Hiru .
First of all, no dragging needed to get to Full Screen mode on either Mac or PC. Just hit F. Secondly, Many Mac users LIKE the fact that you can quickly switch between apps because their windows float above each other. So no bug, just a different way of working.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
SM
Steve Moody
Mar 29, 2005
In article , Hirudroid
wrote:

You aren’t explaining the problem very well. I’m not sure if I understand what the problem is. Try selecting "Resize Windows To Fit" after selecting the zoom tool.

If this doesn’t fix the problem, then try explaining it again.

Mail to this address will be sent immediately to the trash. To email me, send it to acoow instead.
H
hirudroid
Mar 29, 2005
First of all, no dragging needed to get to Full Screen mode on either Mac or PC. Just hit F.

— Naturally, but that’s not the answer I was looking for.. 😉

Secondly, Many Mac users LIKE the fact that you
can quickly switch between apps because their windows float above each other. So no bug, just a different way of working.

— Yeah, but still it (BG) should be an option. A working space / view gets messy very fast.

Well, maybe I just stick with the blank desktop. Thanks anyway.
EG
Eric Gill
Mar 29, 2005
(Hirudroid) wrote in
news::

First of all, no dragging needed to get to Full Screen mode on either Mac or PC. Just hit F.

— Naturally, but that’s not the answer I was looking for.. 😉
Secondly, Many Mac users LIKE the fact that you
can quickly switch between apps because their windows float above each other. So no bug, just a different way of working.

— Yeah, but still it (BG) should be an option.

No. I really, really miss this one feature working on a PC. It’s mucho better after you’re used to it, especially with multiple screens.

A working space / view gets messy very fast.

While in Photoshop, move your mouse over an exposed area of the desktop, hold down option anc click. Then switch back to Photoshop.

From the Dock, hold down cmd and alt and click on Photoshop. This will hide everything else.

Well, maybe I just stick with the blank desktop. Thanks anyway.
T
Tacit
Mar 29, 2005
In article ,
(Hirudroid) wrote:

I’m curious; why does the fact that the image opens in a window, with other windows visible, upset you? It sounds to me like this is simply a matter of getting accustomed to seeing something different on your screen; it shouldn’t make any difference in what you do.

You can toggle full-screen mode by hitting the F key on your keyboard.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
S
Stewy
Mar 29, 2005
In article ,
(Hirudroid) wrote:

Hola,

Know what you mean! I don’t have an answer except you could try Virtual PC, this *may* give you back canvasses to applications.
S
Stewy
Mar 30, 2005
In article ,
Tacit wrote:

In article ,
(Hirudroid) wrote:

I’m curious; why does the fact that the image opens in a window, with other windows visible, upset you? It sounds to me like this is simply a matter of getting accustomed to seeing something different on your screen; it shouldn’t make any difference in what you do.
You can toggle full-screen mode by hitting the F key on your keyboard.

I think the problem occurs is if you’re working quickly with a number of files and accidentally click on the desktop instead of the scroll bar, the whole kaboodle disappears onto the dock and the only way to get it back is to go there and click it. At least with windows, if you minimise the window, it’s a deliberate action. On some apps (like this newsreader) having a number of floating panels is a good idea, but shouldn’t we be able to choose that? Virtual PC may do the same thing, but why buy a Mac if you want it to look like a PC? I’ve heard you can tile windows with Panther but that upgrade did evil things to a number of other applications and I ended up deleting the thing and going back to Jaguar.
O
ovoraclet
Mar 30, 2005
If your PC wasn’t broke,,, why did you ever change to a MAC?
H
hirudroid
Mar 31, 2005
I’m curious; why does the fact that the image opens in a window, with other windows visible, upset you?

Well, you need a neutral background to gain optimal result. It’s known fact that if you have a cold (dark blue) BG (cpu/wall behind screen), your image leans to warmer grading. And if you have warm BG (orange), you lean to colder grading.

Mostly it’s about "privacy" and a calm workspace.

I just have to settle for this…
BA
Bob Allison
Mar 31, 2005
In article <290320050528074549%>,
Steve Moody wrote:

Try selecting "Resize Windows To Fit"
after selecting the zoom tool.

is that the same as CMD+0?

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.

Bob
In Carmel, CA
SM
Steve Moody
Apr 1, 2005
In article , Eric Gill
wrote:

While in Photoshop, move your mouse over an exposed area of the desktop, hold down option anc click. Then switch back to Photoshop.
From the Dock, hold down cmd and alt and click on Photoshop. This will hide everything else.

Pressing option – command – H will do this faster.

Mail to this address will be sent immediately to the trash. To email me, send it to acoow instead.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections