Posted By
spacemarine
May 28, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hey folks.

im experiencing something awful w/ my 10d… i take pictures, i view them in-camera, zoom in, etc. but i cant open ANY images on the desktop. lightroom & bridge show the images are garbage — yellow blocks, weird lines, square artifacts, etc. i have tried win & mac. photoshop says it cant parse the files.

and yet, they operatate in camera correctly… also, between shoots i formatted the card and began a new set, same proplem. its a 6mo-old lexar 1gb 133x smart media card.

using lightrooms copy-as-dng didnt help either.

anybody seen this or know what is wrong!? i have some one-of-a-kind images on here, how can i get them into a usable state…

thanks,
sm

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
spacemarine
May 28, 2007
i should add, canon’s FVU doesnt help either. attempts to transfer/ convert to other image formats fail.

crud. i think the card must be messed up..tho im confused as to why in- camera i can zoom in on the raws (shot in raw+jpg).

still trying things.

sm
S
spacemarine
May 28, 2007
On May 28, 11:32 am, wrote:

its a 6mo-old lexar 1gb 133x smart media card.

mistake — its a compact flash card, not smart media.

sm
K
KatWoman
May 28, 2007
wrote in message
hey folks.

im experiencing something awful w/ my 10d… i take pictures, i view them in-camera, zoom in, etc. but i cant open ANY images on the desktop. lightroom & bridge show the images are garbage — yellow blocks, weird lines, square artifacts, etc. i have tried win & mac. photoshop says it cant parse the files.

and yet, they operatate in camera correctly… also, between shoots i formatted the card and began a new set, same proplem. its a 6mo-old lexar 1gb 133x smart media card.

anybody seen this or know what is wrong!? i have some one-of-a-kind images on here, how can i get them into a usable state…

thanks,
sm

you can copy the files to your hard drive but cannot open as images? Only problem is raw or some jpg cannot be read too?

lexar has file recovery software as a free download on their site but seems like that is not the problem
TB
Tony Blair
May 28, 2007
wrote in message
hey folks.

thanks,
sm

If you tried another card, you would then know if it was the card or the camera!!
A
ASAAR
May 28, 2007
On 28 May 2007 09:32:26 -0700, wrote:

I assume that you formatted the card in camera. If you formatted it in a card reader, do it again in the camera and see if that makes any difference.

It may be too late since according to what you said, the original copy on the card was formatted out of existence. If the bad copies of the image files were transferred to the computer using a card reader, if you still had the images on the card you could have tried retransferring them to the computer from the camera’s USB port.

If the problem is a sensor gone bad there’s little you can do other than pay for an expensive repair job if the 10D isn’t still under warranty, or get a new/used replacement. If formatting the card in the camera doesn’t help, try removing the batteries – both the BP-511/BP-512 battery pack and the backup CR2025 ‘coin’ battery long enough for the contents of any existing volatile memory to be lost and for the processor to be reset. Then replace the batteries (and if you haven’t yet replaced the CR2025 it might be time to get another) and see if that helps.
JT
Jim Townsend
May 28, 2007
wrote:

hey folks.

I’ve had scrambled images on my 10D due to a bad card, but the card was causing errors on the camera as well. (It was a Lexar Card by they way).

How are you transferring the images? Are you using the camera and the supplied cable, or are you using a card reader.. If you’re using the camera, I’m guessing that the images are being scrambled during the transfer.

Try a different card, and if you aren’t using one, try a card reader and see if those images come through clean…..
S
spacemarine
May 28, 2007
On May 28, 12:36 pm, ASAAR wrote:

It may be too late since according to what you said, the original copy on the card was formatted out of existence. If the bad copies of the image files were transferred to the computer using a card reader, if you still had the images on the card you could have tried retransferring them to the computer from the camera’s USB port.

well, my second shoots images are still on the card. im going to try using the camera-usb-cable instead of my CF reader. i also am going to get the lexar recovery utility; just waiting on a link from their support people.

they also told me, after the recovery attempt, to re-format the card as FAT from a win machine.

not looking good for the images. still unsure about the camera.

sm
S
spacemarine
May 29, 2007
On May 28, 4:06 pm, wrote:

well, my second shoot’s images are still on the card. im going to try using the camera-usb-cable instead of my CF reader. i also am going to get the lexar recovery utility; just waiting on a link from their support people.

good news!

lexar sent me their file recovery tool, v2. i ran the medium scan on it, and it WAS ABLE to recover my second shoot’s images — the ones that are currently residing on the card. had some good ones here too, so thats a relief.

it is still a serious bummer that i lost 1gb of images from my first faulty shoot (they are sitting on my desktop, i havent killed em yet). it has now introduced an element of paranoia into my previously worry- free digital lifestyle. what was the problem? the card? the card reader? the card reader cable? the mac (while i did try reading on a windows instance, that was a virtual machine, so it would still have used the mac’s USB bus)… i have no idea… that worries me.

fyi, im using the same card reader & cable w/ the lexar recovery tool as i did w/ my initial transfer. didnt computer, a physical windows box.

can anyone suggest more tests to perform? once my testing is complete im going to format the card using the lexar utility. or should i demand an exchange? will they take it?

thanks!
sm
S
spacemarine
May 29, 2007
On May 29, 10:37 am, wrote:
im using the same card reader & cable w/ the lexar recovery tool as i did w/ my initial transfer. didnt computer, a physical windows box.

that is, a "different" computer.

the first addition test that comes to mind is using the camera’s usb cable (v1, ugh!) on the initial mac, and see how that works w/ lightroom’s import.

sm
CD
Clem Dye
May 29, 2007
wrote:
hey folks.

thanks,
sm

Have you tried reading the card directly via a PC reader, rather than in camera? It could be some sort of transfer issue/camera interface problem.

Clem
S
spacemarine
May 29, 2007
On May 29, 12:06 pm, Clem Dye wrote:

Have you tried reading the card directly via a PC reader, rather than in camera? It could be some sort of transfer issue/camera interface problem.

i should have mentioned in my OP — i was using a usb 2 CF reader to access the images. while i have recovered the images, i will test it w/ the camera’s interface cable next, to see if i can figure out what the problem is.

sm
K
KatWoman
May 29, 2007
wrote in message
On May 29, 10:37 am, wrote:
im using the same card reader & cable w/ the lexar recovery tool as i did w/ my initial transfer. didnt computer, a physical windows box.

that is, a "different" computer.

the first addition test that comes to mind is using the camera’s usb cable (v1, ugh!) on the initial mac, and see how that works w/ lightroom’s import.

sm

make sure you have the latest firmware for your camera installed or maybe try re-installing the firmware for the camera

FWIW
my old Minolta Dimage says never use the computer to re-format the cards and to make sure to shut down the transfer before pulling the plugs out (it beeps)

Canon does not say this but
we do the same with the Canon 10 D
100% of the time reformat in camera before shooting the next batch

I only use a card reader to get images off into comp, not through-the-camera processing

have shot thousands of images on same cards that are supposed to wear down eventually and have not
using lexar 33x and 80x speed cards
sizes from 256-2GB

you are going back and forth Mac to win to camera file systems maybe confusing it?
or overwriting your firmware each time?
S
spacemarine
May 30, 2007
On May 29, 3:35 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:

make sure you have the latest firmware for your camera installed or maybe try re-installing the firmware for the camera

not sure how firmware factors in — i want to try to establish a test that can shed light on which component in the transfer caused the corruptions of multiple shoots. have had zero problems before now, and havent touched the firmware in years, so i dont think thats a factor.

my old Minolta Dimage says never use the computer to re-format the cards and to make sure to shut down the transfer before pulling the plugs out (it beeps)

interesting. lexar recommended the opposite for a clean format — using a windows pc.

i did this as well inbetween my shoots. both shoots were corrupted.

you are going back and forth Mac to win to camera file systems maybe confusing it?

but im not. i use a mac, and then seeing the corruption tried the card reader on my windows instance. in either case, nothing can "confuse" the CF card reader, it doesnt have a processor. its just a cable.

not sure what you mean here, but the firmware on my camera hasnt changed in years.

havnet had time to do my tests, hopefully tonite.

sm
T
Talker
May 31, 2007
On 30 May 2007 12:43:34 -0700, wrote:

not sure how firmware factors in — i want to try to establish a test that can shed light on which component in the transfer caused the corruptions of multiple shoots. have had zero problems before now, and havent touched the firmware in years, so i dont think thats a factor.

interesting. lexar recommended the opposite for a clean format — using a windows pc.

i did this as well inbetween my shoots. both shoots were corrupted.

but im not. i use a mac, and then seeing the corruption tried the card reader on my windows instance. in either case, nothing can "confuse" the CF card reader, it doesnt have a processor. its just a cable.

not sure what you mean here, but the firmware on my camera hasnt changed in years.

sm

First, if you were able to view the pictures on the camera’s LCD screen, and they looked fine, then the camera was working fine, and the card was working fine, otherwise, the pictures would look bad on the LCD screen.
The problem is either in the transfer to the computer, or the computer. I would guess it’s in the transfer, since the RAW or JPG pictures that you transferred from past shoots is still viewable on your computer.
Have you installed any new software lately? Maybe an upgrade to something? Try running a virus check and a spyware check, just to rule out those possibilities.

Talker
K
KatWoman
Jun 1, 2007
wrote in message

my old Minolta Dimage says never use the computer to re-format the cards and to make sure to shut down the transfer before pulling the plugs out (it
beeps)

i did this as well in between my shoots. both shoots were corrupted.

sm

about confusion I was referring to the camera firmware which is recorded onto each flash card when you format in camera
I was thinking maybe formatting in either computer may have corrupted the file on the card, which in turn compromised the in camera firmware. http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/EOS10D/10D_firmware-e.html

if the camera firmware is corrupted it will need a reinstall it is easy to download from canon and if you haven’t changed it there may be an updated version out

one time I had a lexar card and no reader, I put the canon shots into the Minolta and it killed the Minolta camera trying to read the card from the Canon. Could not take a single shot on the Minolta after that, it would not read any card, or record any images, cost $200 and 4 weeks to repair.

there are little pins that can get bent too so the prob could be physical not software related

gl
S
spacemarine
Jun 2, 2007
On Jun 1, 1:40 pm, "KatWoman" wrote:

I was thinking maybe formatting in either computer may have corrupted the file on the card, which in turn compromised the in camera firmware.http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/EOS10D/10D_firmware- e.html

well….i could be wrong, but i dont think its possible to corrupt the camera’s firmware. installing firmwares is a very detailed process and i dont think formatting the card can effect camera firmware. im hoping to have some extra time this weekend to do some diagnostics, ill post what i find.

sm

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections