Posted By
Tel
Oct 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I previously posted about a question about problem a friend is having with not being able to read exported raw format images from his Canon EOS 10D. The answer I received was that he needs to use the Picture File Viewer.
He’s still having problems so I need more specific instructions. He’s now getting advice from the photodealer telling him he needs the Adobe Raw plugin but as far as I can gather this doesn’t support his camera.

How should he export his images from the camera?
If the first step was wrong (and the images have been erased from the camera) will this mean the images are unreadable until such times as Canon fix the problem or a third party plugin is available ?
How exactly should he be exporting from the PFV? I had assumed it was simply a matter of exporting the raw images from a file menu as something else readable, like tiff or psd.

Regards
Tel.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ray
Oct 26, 2003
Tel,

First, the Adobe Camera Raw Plugin doesn’t support the 10D. So he needs to use the Canon File Viewer utility.

I’ve created a series of 6 screen shots to illustrate how to convert a file using File Viewer Utility. Here’s the link :

http://www.pbase.com/carbone/raw_tutorial

Explanations are on the images. Hope this helps!

Ray
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Oct 27, 2003
Ray,

Thanks for the tutorial on converting CRW. I’m still only shooting jpegs. One day I will take time to play with RAW format. It just burns up a CF card so quickly. I only have 2 256 mb cards so far.

Steve
R
Ray
Oct 27, 2003
Glad you liked it!
If you wish, you may want to print it because at some point, I will delete these screen shots.

Ray
T
Tel
Oct 27, 2003
Many thanks, Ray, that should do the trick.
Tel.
T
Tel
Oct 28, 2003
I figured it may have been a temporary upload so I downloaded the images. I presume the raw format of the 300D is the same and I’m kind of thinking of getting one of those. So it may come in handy for me too. Not sure how many days I can hold out 🙂

Thanks again,
Tel.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 28, 2003
Tel – Raw format for 300D and 10D are apparently not identical. I’m basing that on some third-party RAW conversion software that has two different versions for the two different cameras…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections