W
Posted By
wUstl
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Now that I’ve got my Canon 10D, the pictures are wonderful, but HUGE! The only problem is that now, when I go to cut and paste my pictures from my compact flash card (using an external CF reader) to my hard drive, it takes forever to load the little photoshop icon next to the images because they’re so large (JPG files, and around 2MB each). This also happens when I open any folder within windows that contains large pictures. It should be noted that I’m using "list" in all of my folders and not large icons, details, etc.

It’s getting to be a pain to wait 2 minutes for all of the little icons to come up. Is there any way to get around this besides uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop and telling it not to associate itself with JPG files? Thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

ML
Michael_Lipp
Feb 16, 2004
I just copy the whole contents of my CF card onto my harddrive in one shot. Like you, I found it pretty slow to do much with the pictures when they’re on the CF card. After I’ve dumped them all on the harddrive, I can a) sort ’em out easier, b) have the CF card ready to be reformated for the next batch sooner.

If you have Photoshop CS, you’ll find that the built in raw support works really GREAT with the CRW files your 10D can make.

mike

wrote in message
Now that I’ve got my Canon 10D, the pictures are wonderful, but HUGE! The
only problem is that now, when I go to cut and paste my pictures from my compact flash card (using an external CF reader) to my hard drive, it takes forever to load the little photoshop icon next to the images because they’re so large (JPG files, and around 2MB each). This also happens when I open any folder within windows that contains large pictures. It should be noted that I’m using "list" in all of my folders and not large icons, details, etc.
It’s getting to be a pain to wait 2 minutes for all of the little icons to
come up. Is there any way to get around this besides uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop and telling it not to associate itself with JPG files? Thanks in advance.
W
wUstl
Feb 16, 2004
Michael,

Thanks for your response. Maybe I wasn’t 100% clear about this. No matter where the pictures are (hard drive, CF Card), it takes forever to load the icons, which also delays bringing up the properties in the left pane of the browser window. So I have to wait until they’re all loaded, then I can view the preview image, properties, etc. I even tried opening the folders in Windows Explorer, which doesn’t have that same properties pane on the left, but the same thing happens.

This isn’t really detrimental, but just annoying. Every time I have a lot of pictures to view in a folder I want to get rid of photoshop and reinstall without associating JPG files with it.
JL
John_Loydall
Feb 16, 2004
I had this problem. Right-click on a file associated with PS (jpg, tif etc), select Properties and click on Photoshop Image. Switch off Generate Thumbnails. Everything will scroll without a problem now.
W
wUstl
Feb 16, 2004
Thanks John. That did the trick.
CC
Craig_Cacchioli
May 18, 2004
I have been experiencing exactly the same problem with my image files on WinXP for ages and only recently found the time to completely wipe the hard-drive and re-install the whole system! I thought that maybe something was wrong and that this would be the simplest way to eradicate the problem.

My main annoyance was when I used programs like Nero to burn my images to CD. The file list took ages to be drawn! If Michael was waiting 2 minutes then he should count himself lucky. I was waiting 15 minutes sometimes. The same thing happened in Explorer whenever I browsed a folder.

I had already tried turning on and off things like caching and/or generation of thumbnails to no avail. So, upon re-installing my system I used Nero and browsed a folder BEFORE I installed Photoshop and everything was fine.

The experience was wonderful!

Next I installed Photoshop and I came to a grinding halt!!! I had used the custom setup to associate Photoshop with JPG & TIFF primarily, amongst others. I just could not believe it, so that’s when I searched the forum to see if I was alone or more optimistically if there was a solution!

Well, I’m glad that I found a solution which seems to be to install Photoshop and THEN change the "open with" settings to fetch Photoshop. Surely this is some kind of bug that needs to be fixed. Maybe I’m just trying to be too clever by doing a custom install – I don’t know!!! But please sort this out Adobe!

I guess the only bonus is that I have a sparkly new hard-drive that I can organise more effectively this time – MAYBE… well sort of anyway!
CC
Chris_Cox
May 18, 2004
Craig – as has been discussed in other topics, it was sorted out with CS.

The bugs are in the OS, so we had to get rid of the shell extension that created file icons.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections