ML
Posted By
martin_levy
Nov 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone have info regarding possible update of ACR to include Canon 10D. I haven’t yet figured out how to contact Adobe on this subject since they only seem to recognize the software if you want to buy it, or as part of Photoshop CS. Do I wait, or do I spend another hundred dollars for Capture One LE. Any good advice???

Thanks,

Martin Levy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

J
jhjl1
Nov 19, 2003
From what I have been told Adobe is not going to sell ACR separately any longer. I have Capture One Rebel Edition and like it alot. I also have several 10D profiles that I use along with the 300D profile. In most cases you can get an accurate
conversion with out many adjustments.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 19, 2003
Our friend Ray Robillard is trying out Capture One LE for the 10D and has had a very good experience with it so far. I use a much simpler program called BreezeBrowser, but it doesn’t have nearly the adjustment capabilities of Capture One. Ray’s enthusiasm is infectious, so I may go with C1LE before all is said and done…
J
jhjl1
Nov 19, 2003
Chuck I think they have a 15 day free trial if you want to give it a go.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Nov 19, 2003
As a Mac user / 10D owner, I think my choices are down to Canon FVU or Photoshop CS for RAW conversion. Right?

Steve
R
Ray
Nov 19, 2003
Shan, Chuck,

C1LE is just superb! The pros include the ability to have 20 files being converted in the background while you start working on the others. It has curves and levels, therefore limiting the use of Photoshop Elements (not to say I don’t like to work in PSE, but the less time it takes, the more I have to play with my camera!). With the FVU, you either had to convert all pictures with the
same setting, of wait for each setting to be applied before converting the picture. Very long process. With C1LE, you don’t have to wait to see the result.

You can adjust exposure either with the predefined White Balance or the Kelvin scale. You can even adjust the color tint (or color cast) that sometimes get in the way when you adjust color temperature. It also saves in 16 bits, for those with PS7 or PCS.

I activated it yesterday. I completed the conversion of 57 pictures in under two hours. With FVU, it would have took me more than 4.

If anyone needs help with this software, contact me. I’m no expert, but I’ll do my best 🙂

Ray
R
Ray
Nov 19, 2003
Steve, I think the pro version of C1 is available for Mac… but the price isn’t very friendly.

Ray
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Nov 20, 2003
Pardon my ignorance here, but isn’t the 10D already supported by Adobe CameraRaw? Or are there conversion features missing? If so, what’s missing.

The 10D produces .CRW files which I know are supported by CameraRaw.

I’m 10D / Windows / BreezeBrowser user. I know when the latest version of BreezeBrowser came out w/ support for the 10D, it has many more .CRW conversion features specific to the 10d than it did for my G2.

I’m thinking about upgrading to CS, and CameraRaw is one of the reasons I’d do it. I like BreezeBrowser, but eliminating the extra step, would simplfy my life. If CameraRaw doesn’t support the 10D, maybe I’ll wait.

Thanks,

Marsh

Thanks.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Nov 20, 2003
Marsh,

The plugin sold seperately from Photoshop doesn’t support RAW files from the Canon 10D. The new plugin incorporated with Photoshop CS does, however.

Ray
JH
Josh_Hillman
Nov 26, 2003
See this discussion:

Photoshop CS Raw Dull Color Issue

< http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&me ssage=6753708>

Although the thread was originally based on importing Canon 10D RAW images (.crw files), it also applies to the Canon Digital Rebel (Canon 300D) and also the Canon D60. I’m not sure what other Canon models may apply.
J
JesusIsGod
Nov 26, 2003
All,

As I shared in my thread on this topic, unfortunately Adobe no longer sells the Camera Raw plug-in. Neither do any distributors whose websites I visited.

I called Adobe sales and tech support today. Customer service (sales) was surprised because they couldn’t find it anywhere, and tech support thought it was for sale still but the kind man checked with another support rep who told him, "No way, no how." I asked cust service if a new Elements was to be released w/ raw support but she replied that Elements 2.0 just came out so that’s unlikely.

I found a couple of 3rd party raw plug-ins on Google by searching on "Minolta raw files" — you could also search on "Canon raw files" and find a couple, more than likely.

The Minolta Dimage Viewer is quite good quality and saves the raw files as TIFF or JPEG so it’s not a disaster, just an inconvenience (it’s way slower than Elements, which is why I wanted the plug-in in the first place).

Cheers,
Robert
J
JesusIsGod
Nov 26, 2003
Hi again,

Found a great way to improve RAW file handling.

I just installed my Minolta Dimage Viewer onto my new computer (2.8GHz P4 w/ 512MB RAM and 7200 rpm disk) and it worked much faster than it does on my 1.4GHz laptop w/ 5400 rpm disk and 512 MB RAM.

I tried Dimage Viewer vs. BreezeBrowser demo vsn and found that on my Dell flat panel display the Dimage Viewer image is noticeably sharper with noticeably better color than BreezeBrowser delivers when opening the same RAW image.

I’m definitely sticking with Dimage Viewer. I always liked the quality, just not the speed. Now speed is no longer a problem.

Guess the best recommendation I can give now is to get a fast cpu and use the camera manufacturer’s included RAW file program viewer. Should work just fine and you can always save as TIFF if you want to use Adobe. Maybe that’s why Adobe discontinued the Camera Raw plug-in, it’s not necessary any more w/ fast CPUs, can’t say for sure. I just know I’m happier now than I was just an hour ago.

God bless,
Robert
R
Ray
Nov 26, 2003
Robert, I’m trully happy for you that the Minolta converter works fine. But the Canon converter is a pain in the rear end to use. It’s slow, its interface is poorly designed (at best) and it’s very basic. Breeze, Capture One and others are the salvation for us, Canon users 🙂

Ray
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 26, 2003
Unless of course you use a Mac..where salvation is not available….(Capture 1 for the mac is only available in the professional version and I think PS would be as cheap, given I can get an academic copy…)

Susan S.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 26, 2003
Susan, I’m really surprised the third party software companies haven’t developed Mac versions. I think I’ll ask Chris Breeze about that…
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 26, 2003
Simple arithmatic I suspect Chuck – not enough users to make it worthwhile….no one bothers to make viruses for macs either!

Susan S.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections