LH
Posted By
lou_hosta
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just purchased PS8 and can’t get it to download raw images that are on my Canon 10D. I don’t wan’t to use Canon’s File Viewer Utility. I want to import the pictures via
Photoshop->File->Import->Twain Device. But I can’t find a TWAIN Driver from Canon. Can anyone tell me where I can get this driver? It doesn’t appear to be on the Canon EOS Digital Solution Disk.

I am using OS X 10.3.3.

Thanks,
Lou

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Did you download and install the Camera RAW 2 plugin update?
LH
lou_hosta
Apr 9, 2004
Yes I thought that might give me the Twain configuration for the Canon but it did not.
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Lou,

The Canon EOS-10D is supported by the Camera Raw 2.1 Update:

<http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html>
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Lou,

Wait a second: you’re not trying to open the images while they’re still in the camera’s CF card, are you? That would be a very bad idea.

Buko "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

and

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

First copy the closed files to your local hard drive (through the Finder), then open then from your hard drive through Camera RAW 2.1.

The best way to do it is through a card reader, rather than off the camera itself. (Personally, I don’t let any of my cameras anywhere near my computer.)

As a matter if fact, I’d work off a second copy, leaving the first copy on the hard drive untouched.
JN
Jim Nagy
Apr 10, 2004
In article ,
<Ramón_G_Castañ> wrote:

First copy the closed files to your local hard drive (through the Finder), then open then from your hard drive through Camera RAW 2.1.
The best way to do it is through a card reader, rather than off the camera itself. (Personally, I don’t let any of my cameras anywhere near my computer.)

As a matter if fact, I’d work off a second copy, leaving the first copy on the hard drive untouched.

I find it best to drag the files from my CF card onto the hard drive, then simply open using the browser in PS. You don’t need RAW 2.1 to read 10D files – mine were read just fine with the base 2.0 program that comes with CS. I then preview the files and always burn a CD copy of the raws before reformating the CF card in the camera. BTW I went for the firewire CF reader, and would use nothing else. It’s fast.

Jim Nagy
Elm Electronics
LH
lou_hosta
Apr 10, 2004
No I’m trying to download the files onto my computer using Phtoshop/Camera Raw PlugIn via Photoshop->File->Import->Twain Device.

Currently I use Canon’s File Viewer Utility. After the pictures are downloaded on my hard drive, I have no way that I know of to open them as Raw Files, because Canan’s software forces me to save them as 16 bit Tiffs or less.

I am able to see my Epson scanner via Photoshop through a Twain Drive so I’m sure there is a way for PS CS to see my 10D via Twain.

My basic question is how do I download files using PS CS Camera Raw Plug-In on a mirrored door drive 1GHz Mac with OS 10.3.3.
C
Cindy
Apr 10, 2004
Can’t you save them as CRW files? I would assume it is the same as the Rebel? From the Canon Image Browser you should be able to control/click and open the CRW in Photoshop which will open it using the RAW plug-in
JV
John_Vitollo
Apr 10, 2004
Lou>I’m sure there is a way for PS CS to see my 10D via Twain.

There is no way for PS CS to download directly from your 10D via Twain or any other way. Don’t waste your time in trying to – it will never happen.

Make a new folder on your hard drive and copy all files that are on the Compact Flash card to that folder. Now you can use Photoshop’s browser to open the images.
R
Ram
Apr 10, 2004
Ramón wrote

Wait a second: you’re not trying to open the images while they’re still in the camera’s CF card, are you? That would be a very bad idea.

Lou replies

No I’m trying to download the files onto my computer using Photoshop/Camera Raw PlugIn via Photoshop->File->Import->Twain Device.

Well Lou, what you describe is exactly trying to open the images while they’re still in the camera’s CF card. Stop trying. A Twain device does not "download", it opens.

I’ll repeat myself:

LH
lou_hosta
Apr 10, 2004
Thanks. I figured it out. I had Canon’s File Viewer Utility set to convert the Raw files to TIFF. Since I didn’t have the plug-in prior to PS CS I needed to convert them. Now that I have PS CS I I no longer need to convert to TIFF. So now the files do not get converted and stay in RAW format. I am then able to open them in PS CS with the RAW plugin. Thanks for all help.

I do have a question though. Why won’t you download onto you computer directly from your camera. I have never had a problem doing this.

Lou
C
Cindy
Apr 10, 2004
Downloading from the camera just runs down the battery and fast. You can take out the flash card and download the whole thing into a folder with a card reader very fast especially with a firewire reader. USB works fine too and you can pick up one for around $20
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 10, 2004
Unlike with scanners, there is no standard for downloading files directly from the cameras…
R
Ram
Apr 10, 2004
Why won’t you download onto you computer directly from your camera. I have never had a problem doing this.

One day you will, Lou. Problems can arise intermittently, so you can go for a time without experiencing them.

There are many reasons why I don’t do it. It’s much faster doing it through a FireWire card reader; I don’t want to expose the camera to any possible malfunction of the USB connection, which after all is a live connection that can power some devices, so it can send electrical current; it’s a lot easier to sit down and just stick one card after another into the card reader; the card reader is a tiny device that can be placed just about anywhere and attached with velcro or double sided tape, it occupies less space (no space at all) than the camera; I see no reason whatsoever to subject the camera to unnecessary wear by plugging and unplugging a cable into it (the connection socket mat weaken or get damaged eventually); it’s just counterintuitive, the camera is no more a computer peripheral than it is a music MP3 player; there are magnetic fields around the monitors and the computer itself; etc. …

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections