KR
Posted By
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running PSE 2.0 on an iBook 14" 1.2ghz 768ram, 10.3.4. I’ve noticed with the trackpad I’m no good at drawing with any selection tool. I don’t have a mouse so I was thinking of getting a 4×5 Wacom Grapire 3 tablet then I could get a mouse with it also. I guess the mouse only works with the tablet hooked into the Mac. Or should I just get a decent optical mouse instead of a tablet.

Does the Mac version PSE 2.0 support this tablet and all its features or only some of them?

Any bugs you can report? Does it work as smooth as the trackpad or a mouse?

I was thinking of getting the white tablet hoping it would match the iBook better. Any pros and cons on the different colors?

Thanks for any advice.

Kelvin

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Jul 28, 2004
I think you’ll find the Wacom works fine, but, personally, I can’t get used to using the pen. On the other hand some people report much better success with the tablet than a mouse, so I think how well it "works" varies according the individual. I’d suggest getting a good optical mouse first. Then, if you still think a tablet would give you better control try that next. At least you’ll have a mouse! I never use the trackpads on either my Mac PowerBook or Dell Latitude.
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 29, 2004
I have a graphire 2 and it works fine on the Mac with PE2 and OS10.3.4. I fall into the "I love this thing and wouldn’t be without it " group. Apart from anything else switching between mouse and pen uses a different grip and reduces the amount of wrist pain that I tend to get if I just use a mouse all the time. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I find that it makes selections and drawing type activities much more precise. Having pressure sensitivity on brush strokes and other tools is very useful too.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 29, 2004
I second Susan. I use the pen every time I’m in PSE. However, I don’t use the supplied mouse, it’s not tailored for me. I used my regular wireless.

Ray
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 29, 2004
I have the Graphire 3 (but not a Mac). I’m having a hard time getting used to it, but I’m working on it. I love it for painting and detailed selecting, but I’m not too good at navigating menus with it! I’m always clicking on things accidentally.

I don’t use the mouse that came with it, it’s very anemic compared to my optical mouse.

I was wondering Ray, Susan…do you keep the Tip Feel setting on soft or do you have a favorite setting? I could use some "tips." 🙂

Patti
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 29, 2004
Patti – I can’t remember what I did to set up my Wacom it’s so long ago … checks…it’s one notch up from the soft setting, although it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference- I think it depends a bit on on how you tend to hold a pen – I grip tightly and press hard (I’ve already had to replace the nib on my tablet pen twice as I wore it down on one side – I’ve learnt to keep twisting them round now so they wear more evenly)
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 29, 2004
It’s one notch up from the middle. I like to hold my tools firmly and this makes me put more pressure on surfaces.

As for tips, I never had to change them yet. I had to change the whole pen assembly though. Believe me, change the tips. It’s a lot cheaper 🙂 What happened is the pen was dropped on the floor (wood surface), and it never resisted. At first, only a small crack showed up, but as I used the pen more and more, the small crack became large as a river. So, I now have one spare tip in a broken pen, ready to serve.. 😉

Ray
KR
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks for everyones input. I think I’ll try one of these tablets, the 4×5 one. I plan to only use it for PSE on my kitchen table. Does anyone use it for other applications?

Regarding the nibs for the pen do you get spares with tablet?

Thanks,

Kelvin
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 29, 2004
Kelvin

I use mine (8×6) for all graphic programs I have. I received three extra bubs with my pen but to date have not had to change the original and that is after 4 years. Heck I would be hard pressed to try to find the replacement ones now 🙂

Grant
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 29, 2004
No spare nib in the package. I bought my Graphire3 at newegg.com but I’m not sure they sell the nibs. I’ve seen them at my local office supply stores, so I’m sure I can find one when the time comes.

In regards to pen pressure that Ray and Susan mentioned, maybe the Graphire3 is different/better. You do NOT need to press hard at all — trust me! 🙂 The surface of the tablet is a harder plastic than the Graphire2’s.

As for using it with other applications, I use it with CorelDraw/PhotoPaint, Painter (which comes with the tablet) and a quilt design software. Still use my optical mouse for word processing and most other.

Patti
KR
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 29, 2004
I picked up a Graphire 3 today at lunch and I’ll have to wait until I get home after work but I have a basic question.
How does the pressure sensitive feature work in the Mac PSE? What tools use it? If I select a brush size does the brush become larger the harder I press? How does the eraser work in PSE?

Thanks

Kelvin
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 30, 2004
Patti,

That’s what I meant… The tablet is so sensitive that I lowered (move the notch up one unit) because of this. Otherwise, it would produce only fat stroke as I pressed too hard on it.

Replacement nib, I got them at the store. I had to order them but it only too 4 days to get them.

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 30, 2004
Kelvin,

Pressure can make brush tip appear larger or more coloured, it depends on the brush dynamics. Make sure you do engage tablet support in PSE, under More options (at the far right of the options bar).

As for the tools, the eraser and the brush tool, the selection brush tool. All the tools using a brush, basically (pattern clone, etc.)

Ray
KR
Kelvin_Ritchie
Jul 30, 2004
Finally got the Wacom hooked up to the iBook. I made a mistake by installing the 10.3 updater first and found that the Help button wasn’t on the System Prefs. It would’ve been nice for them to have written a note saying to install the CD driver version first. I uninstalled the 10.3 updater and then installed the CD.

Seems to be working OK. I don’t think it will be too difficult to use the pen. I seem to navigate with it OK. I’ve even customized the button on the pen for right click.

Am I missing something not having the Ink option on the button.

I’m kicking myself at delaying the purchase of this tablet. It comes with PSE 2.0. I would’ve save $100 there but I’ve got a $30 rebate coming. Fry’s had it on sale for $80 and had a $15 rebate but this special ended on July 27.

What is this penPalette LE program? I went to the nikMultimedia website but it appears it is only supported in Photoshop 7? Is that Painter app worth installing? I wish Wacom and other manufacturers who bundle this software would just have a brief description of what the software does so I’d have an idea whether to install it.

Guess I’ll try out PSE with it now.

Thanks

Kelvin
SS
Susan_S.
Jul 30, 2004
Painter Classic is good fun – if you are into painting digitally from scratch or want to create images from your photos that look (something) like an oil painting or chalk drawing or watercolour via the clone brushes. It has on line help included with the install that is quite reasonable. My kids have taken it over and now much prefer it to kidpix (amazing how quickly a six year old without preconceptions can get on top of the concept of layers which takes many grown ups (including this one) a while to grasp! (four year olds however should be kept away from tablet, especially if they have felt tip pens in hand, and want to draw with the computer like mummy does…)
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 30, 2004
Kelvin,

Painter Classic is much fun… I graduated to Painter 8 a few months ago, and I don’t regret it. It’s a natural media emulating software. You can create some very brilliant photo to painting with it.

PenPalette is a series of plugins, and I don’t know if they work under Mac (I haven’t check them). They’re specifically designed to work with the pen. They’re nice, try them out.

Ray

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections