S
Posted By
springville68
Apr 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Thanks for the input, I will check out some of the suggestions, although I know little about the Macintosh platform. I guess I was just hoping that since you can put the PSA photos into PSE3 for windows that at least PSE3 for windows and PSE3 for Macintosh could share the PSE 3 organizer data – but that shows where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Again, thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

G
gasher
May 30, 2005
Sorry to say but I am in a similar position. I’ve been using PSA for some time. I find it easy, etc. And of course I’ve tagged many of my photos. I’ve been told the MAC is the best and I’ve seen the results. Now I want to do it, too. I want to learn the MAC and then it is time to play with my photos. When I am ready, how can I move a copy of all of my photos to the Mac and also keep the tags etc. with those photos?
All help is greatly appreciated.
Gil
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 30, 2005
No, I have been badgering a number of scripters about this, but so far it’s proving to be more difficult than you might think. I do have a script that someone wrote that will copy the IPTC keywords to the clipboard, but then you still have to get them pasted in, so that’s not much help yet. On the other hand, Tiger has only been out a month or so, so hopefully someone will get it figured out eventually.
G
gasher
May 30, 2005
Dear Barbara:
Darn. I’m sorry to hear what you are saying. I was promised by the Apple people that this problem had been taken care of. Since I am very close to an Apple store, I will go over there tomorrow and see what I can find out.
The real reason I got my Mac was to use it on photos. But first I want to be able to do simnple things like we can in PSA. Then I’ll worry about photoshop elements.
I’ll let you know what I find out.
Gil
G
gasher
Jun 8, 2005
Barbara:
regarding album and iPhoto
don’t jump so fast. I’ve been using PSA for some time and it is fast. I’ve started using iPhoto. I find it more cumbersome and perhaps it is not as good. I iPhoto does seem to be organized well.
First I just bought a new bigger and better Apple screen. Can this screen be used with PSA? Has anyone tried this?
Gil
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 8, 2005
Hi, gasher. Sorry, I don’t understand your post. If you have a mac, you can’t run PSA (well, you could run it in virtual PC but it would make you want to cut your throat after about ten minutes). So you generally want a mac app of some sort. Personally I don’t care for iphoto and much prefer just using PS keywords, but there are an awful lot of people who find iphoto adequate to their needs. My comments were intended for people who don’t want to keep a PC around to use one application.

You can use an apple monitor with any PC that does DVI.
G
gasher
Jun 8, 2005
Barbara:
I’ll try to be more clear. I am using 2 computers at teh moment. I am trying to move over to the Mac if for to sue it with my photos. But as yet i don not find iPhoto as fast and easy as PSA. I will not IF you say that runniing PSA in virtual PC will but get me to cut my throat, I’d prefer to forgot that experience.
It is interesting what you say bout usign the Apple monitor. I don ot know what DVI is. I thought to try out the Apple monitor with PSA and see how good my photos look. Have you ahd any epxerinece iht that suage?
Gil
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 8, 2005
Yes, at least for using an apple monitor with a PC, if not with album per se. You have two options if you want to be able to switch back and forth between the mac and the PC. Get a KVM switch, which lets you switch which computer you are seeing on your monitor at the moment, or (what I do) use Microsoft’s free Remote Desktop client for Mac.

This lets you open your PC as a window on the mac and use the keyboard hooked up to your mac to control the PC. It’s incredibly handy–you can just hide the PC like any other application when you don’t need it, and click its dock icon to go back to Windows. Since it really is your PC hardware, there’s no difference in performance from sitting right at the PC. You do need XP Pro to use it,though–doesn’t work with XP Home. For me, since my mac has a much better monitor, this is ideal for working with both platforms.
G
gasher
Jun 8, 2005
Barbara:
I’ve found this forum frequently does not respond. It is not responsive for lots of minutes. So you may get 2 answers to your same message.
I’m using xp pro. although I do not feel I am a "pro" in any way related to computers. I think my Mac has a better monitor. Where can I find MS free remote desktop? Gil
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 8, 2005
It’s here < http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.asp x?pid=remotedesktopclient>. If you don’t already have your computers networked, you will need to do that. Instructions for that are here <http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/network> for Tiger. Let me know which version of X if you’re not using Tiger.
G
gasher
Jun 8, 2005
Barbara:I have Tiger 9my computer is about 10 days old or less) but I not know Tiger very well if it much different than the XP Pro i have been using
As yet I do not have my computers networked. I guess I’ll need to learn how to do that What i have been doign is revoling. I have 1 omcputer infront fo me and one coptue behind me.the better screen is in front of the Mac 5 wick is set up behine me. But of course I cna move tha "fancy " screen to in to be in fornt of me. and hve it hooked up to the PC. I wodner if I’l htik about how to hook up both of the cotue to the bigger (Mac) screen.
Gil
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 8, 2005
Just get an ethernet cable, hook ’em together and follow the directions for networking with XP in the apple support document I linked.
G
gasher
Jun 8, 2005
Barbara:
I’ll go looking for an ethernet cable. I would guess I have one here. We shall see. The Apple store is across the street so worse comes to worse I could jump over there.
You say you linked an apple support document. Am I alerted to that? How do I find it and download it?
Gil
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 8, 2005
wrote
Just get an ethernet cable, hook ’em together

Barbara,

Does the fact that one of the peers is a Mac mean that a special "crossover" cable is not required?

Working with directly-connected PCs, an ethernet cable (or other adaptor) which crosses pins 1 & 2 with pins 3 & 6 is necessary. Is the ethernet connector on a Mac able to provide this? I haven’t yet seen it on a PC.

This is not a concern if a hub-like device is used to interconnect machines, as they have the crossover built in.

Byron
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 8, 2005
With new macs it is not necessary, Byron. You just use a regular RJ-45 male to male cable.

Gasher, click the second link in my post about where to get RD. You’ll see a link to an article called "Networking with Windows XP."
G
gasher
Jun 8, 2005
Barbara:
I am inside the forum, but I don’t see a 2nd line in your post. Please guide me to this point. I’ll take down the info "where to get RD" and the article "network with Windows XP". If you have additional info, for example, info for someone who can not find the link (me), I would appreciate.
Gil
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jun 8, 2005
network with Windows XP

Here:
<http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/network/>

The link is on that page.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections